Longer Roof Latches available?

kmcintyre

I've got an older Eagle and the roof latches don't have much/many threads left to really screw into the base and I'd like to get some longer versions.

I don't really want to replace the whole latch and drill new holes, etc. so I'd rather get a longer top latch part (or whole latch and throw away the bottom) so that I have more than a few threads going into the bottom portion.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Kevin

I would first check with FWC. Perhaps they have some parts laying around. Or, if need be, buy new ones and use only the part(s) needed, assuming the thread pattern is the same. I believe RV stores also carry theses latches.

Good luck

If you need longer roof latches, are you maybe trying to cram too much into the bed space? I know there is some "play" involved, but I wouldn't tamper with the structural integrity too much.

Bseek said:
If you need longer roof latches, are you maybe trying to cram too much into the bed space? I know there is some "play" involved, but I wouldn't tamper with the structural integrity too much.
I don't think so as I was in ATC a few years ago and they didn't mention it. I think, in general, people over tighten the latches (at least that what they told me) and I was one of them; had a few of the roof mounts pulling out.

Stalking Light said:
Search Google for "draw latch", there are a lot of options.
Yes there are a ton of options but if I don't know the thread size of the part, I don't see anything that looks the same. I'll continue to search though.
Thanks.

Remove the thread part and take it to a hardware store, find the nuts section and try a few different nuts on the thread part until you find the right one. Then you'll know the thread size (diameter & picth, maybe 1/4" x 20) so you can order the correct one with a longer thread part. On your way out of the hardware store say "Thanks".

kmcintyre said:
I've got an older Eagle and the roof latches don't have much/many threads left to really screw into the base and I'd like to get some longer versions.

I don't really want to replace the whole latch and drill new holes, etc. so I'd rather get a longer top latch part (or whole latch and throw away the bottom) so that I have more than a few threads going into the bottom portion.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Kevin

Are you trying to tighten the clamping grip but screwing the "U" shaped attachment on the latch down into the "bottom portion"? OK...re-read your post, you are concerned with not having enough threads left in the bottom portion of the latch that cams over when it is locked down...not getting it tighter.

My problem is the opposite.

I recently [material compression?] ran out of adjustment on a couple of the roof latches on our '16 Hawk; can't make it tight enough, and yes I understand not going "too tight". Loose enough that I am worried about bouncing around off road and popping open a latch. "U" gripper is screwed all the way down into the lower part of latch. Not an easy fix, will try duct tape on latch attached to roof to make it thicker. Will not drill any holes.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom