Looking at my first camper

BigF350

Hi everyone!

In the next couple of months, I will be in the market for a truck camper and I had some questions.

I am a first time camper buyer, and the camper will be used by my parents for a 3 month trip up to Alaska from California this summer. After returning to California, both my truck and the camper will be shipped to Australia (my home), where it will be used for a few weeks each year on off-road excursions down there.

A new camper is more than I am looking to spend, but I am looking at used campers made in the past 15yrs, up to 10k in price.
It will go on my 2012 F250, 4x4, Crew Cab diesel short bed. The truck is relatively stock, but I will most likely fit airbags in the rear.

Based on what I have researched, read and looking at what is available on the used market, I think my options come down to either a FWC Hawk or a Northstar 850SC.
Both campers seem to be well regarded from both owner groups, and both seem capable of doing what I want them to, with some pros/cons
The Hawk seems to be more expensive on the used market, but has obvious benefits as I see, being light weight/strong for off-road as well as having no overhang on my shortbed truck, and its lower profile/weight should give better fuel economy (I assume).
The Northstar has the North-South sleeping, and internal shower/toilet, but the downside of being heavier/bulkier off-road, as well as having overhang on my shortbed.

There doesn't seem to be a big Northstar owners group, so I am really looking to you guys as people that own and use the FWC's regularly as to whether the lack of internal shower/toilet is important to you for longer trips, and also how much of a detriment the East/West sleeping layout is? I don't think it will bother me and my girlfriend, but with my parents being in their 60's, getting up in the middle of the night is a bit of a given :)

Any other thoughts you have on choosing between both would be welcomed!

Don't count out ATC in your search. FWC or ATC would be my choice for the use you have listed. No knowledge on the Northstar but if wood construction I would avoid for off road use.

SearchTempest is you friend when looking.

All Terrain Campers are highly rated and my choice for a camper. There is currently one for sale in the gear exchange section that may well fit your truck.

See Here

Thanks for that, I have kept ATC in mind as well, but given I am looking at a used model, ATC's are thin on the ground in comparison to Northstar and FWC. Also, both FWC's and Northstar have dealers in Australia, which is a plus for when it gets sent over there and I need parts.

From what I have read, Northstar campers perform well off-road, despite wood construction, however you do pay the weight/bulk penalty, even if I have a truck that can take it.

I have an FWC Grandby in SB Silverado 3500 and carry it with the tailgate down. It doesn't have the full wrap like the 850SC. We thought we wanted an inside shower and toilet but after much debate opted for an outside showers and PETT toilet. We also carry a privacy shelter but seldom use it. We haven't found the lack of inside facilities limiting in our situation.

I purposely chose a 1 ton because I didn't want to need to make suspension modes. My Grandby loaded comes in under 2,000 lbs.

I'm 57 and and thought N/S sleeping was the way to go but E/W hasn't been an issue. One can always sleep on the dinette if it is.

I looked at the Northstar and decided on the FWC Raven. The NS was half the price but twice weight. The construction was sub par to the FWC. The NS also extends past the rear even more than the hawk. I choose the raven because it's designed for the 5'8" bed and fits great. Don't think you can get a used one though so the Hawk or ATC equivalent is probably your best bet. I have my Raven on a Ram 1500 bighorn and I don't even notice it while driving. Good luck

This site is very pro pop-up so I'm thinking most opinions will fall that way. Like mine. A Hawk won't need any alteration like air bags to your 3/4 ton truck so that's a benefit from the start. If your parents are reasonably able, the EW sleeping shouldn't be too much of a problem in the middle of the night. It just takes a little planning the first time or two to figure out how to crawl over the other person. A night light might make it easier. The wife and I often end up getting up pretty much together in the middle of the night although she keeps after me to "go for me too".

Alan

JHa6av8r said:
I have an FWC Grandby in SB Silverado 3500 and carry it with the tailgate down. It doesn't have the full wrap like the 850SC. We thought we wanted an inside shower and toilet but after much debate opted for an outside showers and PETT toilet. We also carry a privacy shelter but seldom use it. We haven't found the lack of inside facilities limiting in our situation.

I purposely chose a 1 ton because I didn't want to need to make suspension modes. My Grandby loaded comes in under 2,000 lbs.

I'm 57 and and thought N/S sleeping was the way to go but E/W hasn't been an issue. One can always sleep on the dinette if it is.

BobM said:
I looked at the Northstar and decided on the FWC Raven. The NS was half the price but twice weight. The construction was sub par to the FWC. The NS also extends past the rear even more than the hawk. I choose the raven because it's designed for the 5'8" bed and fits great. Don't think you can get a used one though so the Hawk or ATC equivalent is probably your best bet. I have my Raven on a Ram 1500 bighorn and I don't even notice it while driving. Good luck

Thanks. Both posts are exactly the feedback I was after.

I need airbags anyway for my 5th wheel hitch, and on the Fords there is no diff between an F350/F250 apart from taller rear suspension blocks (my truck is tuned/deleted and can't handle more axle wrap from taller blocks) and a higher GVWR sticker which increases insurance/registration costs, and would require me to have a truck license to drive in Australia.

Adrian

In an emergency you can use the porta potty or whatever inside. Not preferable but I assume for a married couple they've seen it all anyways. Sixties isn't very old anymore so assuming relatively good health getting in and out shouldn't be a problem. You may get lucky and find one with the extended cab.

Have you looked into what it will cost to ship to Australia? If they charge by the pound thats one more reason to go with an FWC.

If you travel light, the pop up camper is a great way to go. It is nice to be able to break camp in 10 minutes. If you don't travel light, a small camper can be a miserable experience, both unloading the camper so you can climb in to lift the top and reloading when you're ready to hit the road.

I'm not sure of the process for lifting the top on a Northstar, but your parents have to be in reasonable shape to lift the lid on a FWC or ATC. Hydraulic pistons will help. Also, they need to be in good enough shape to climb in and out of the camper. It is also a bit of a step down from the bed to the bench when getting out of bed in the middle of the night. My wife is 5'1" and it is something she always reminds me of in the middle of the night.

craig333 said:
In an emergency you can use the porta potty or whatever inside. Not preferable but I assume for a married couple they've seen it all anyways. Sixties isn't very old anymore so assuming relatively good health getting in and out shouldn't be a problem. You may get lucky and find one with the extended cab.

Have you looked into what it will cost to ship to Australia? If they charge by the pound thats one more reason to go with an FWC.
As long as it fits in a 40ft shipping container with my truck, its all the same cost :)
And it isn't cheap. Neither is converting a truck to RHD for that matter :/

Espresso said:
If you travel light, the pop up camper is a great way to go. It is nice to be able to break camp in 10 minutes. If you don't travel light, a small camper can be a miserable experience, both unloading the camper so you can climb in to lift the top and reloading when you're ready to hit the road.

I'm not sure of the process for lifting the top on a Northstar, but your parents have to be in reasonable shape to lift the lid on a FWC or ATC. Hydraulic pistons will help. Also, they need to be in good enough shape to climb in and out of the camper. It is also a bit of a step down from the bed to the bench when getting out of bed in the middle of the night. My wife is 5'1" and it is something she always reminds me of in the middle of the night.
Good to know. Both my parents are in reasonable shape.

Getting in and out of a Four Wheel /ATC isn't difficult unless one has maybe a bad back. I'm over 70, have two artificial knees (one only 6 weeks old) and have no problem getting in or out of the camper. Once in a while I carry a 50lb fishing kayak on the roof so I added hydraulic struts to make lifting
the roof easier. It is a fun job getting the kayak on the roof though :unsure: .Without the kayak on top, lifting the roof can be done with one hand.
I plan on continuing to use my camper for at least another decade, if I'm alive that long. Your 60 year old parents should have an easy time.

The Northstar has an ugly hand crank system with a tubular internal setup. You can read about it in their owners manual http://www.northstarcampers.com/Manuals/RC-Willett-Owners-Manual.pdf

I agree with everything said about the Northstar. One thing not said is the LACK of headroom between the the mattress and the ceiling. I could NOT turn-over without hitting my shoulder on the ceiling.

NS has a storage bin under the mattress. Sleeper has to "crawl in" (reminds me of basic training - soldier crawling on his belly under barbed wire) in and out. Don't even consider buying one without getting in and out of the bed. And at age 70 it would be impossible for me over time.

I would Consider a used "Lance" as even the old wood framed campers were very well built. I once had a 20 year old model that I bought at it's age 10 for $1500.... Used it 10 years and sold it for $1,000.

The on board bathroom is a real bonus. I am currently shopping for a Northstar because of the bathroom. On other forums, Northstars are considered reasonably well made.

If you will use your camper for SERIOUS off-roading, get a FWC or equal. If you think you will want more cushy comfort, get the Northstar.

Factor in weight too. Is a Northstar heavier?

I just put a Thetford porta-potti in my Hawk and it's about as comfortable as you can get.

The Northstar is a lot heavier than the Hawk, almost twice the weight

When I was deciding which camper to purchase (NS/FWC) I drove to NS's headquarters and took a good look. The owner gave me a tour of the facilities and showed me the process of how they are built. He was very nice and family oriented. I believe his family has been building campers for a long time. They were well built, but kinda heavy for a 1/2 ton in my mind. But after getting in one and checking it over, I knew it wasn't for me. I did not like the fit and finish, nor did I like how tight the clearance was from the bed to the roof. It did have plenty of storage, which I liked. I am glad I looked it over because it made my decision that much easier.

If anyone decides to check NS out, do not speed through Cedar Rapids, IA. I had two surprises sent to me about 6 weeks after passing through on 380. One on the way there and one on the way back.

Back
Top Bottom