Low Cost Mods

Fantastic idea. My suggestion to you is remove this post immediately before anyone else sees it. Market this three cent piece of plastic on RV sites for 99 cents each. Sell 5 million, enjoy retirement. :D

Fantastic idea. My suggestion to you is remove this post immediately before anyone else sees it. Market this three cent piece of plastic on RV sites for 99 cents each. Sell 5 million, enjoy retirement. :D

Dang! Why didn't I think of that? I could then afford to buy gas for the truck and the boat!
Mike

Hey Mike!
That's the kind of inside mods I was hoping people would share in my post to that effect. That and re-configuring the interior woodwork to accomodate particular needs. Maybe some will be inspired by your post to share some of THEIR big and small mods, too.
Cheers.

i tried the bungee cord paper towel holder that was in another post a while back. i love it. the small bungee between two hooks works great. the towels are held against the curve of the roof just enough to hold it from unrolling by itself even during travel.both ideas look great!

wes

What about the famous Electric Push Button Igniter? Now this was a great mod when I saw it posted on here and would be if I had the ability to install it, unfortanately I was left with a rough cut hole in my cabinet! I have a new camper now and will get a pro to put it in for me, I would cry with a hole in the cabinet of my hawk. Here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/GrillPro-20620-Electric-Button-Igniter/dp/B000FJVKNM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1341244833&sr=8-4&keywords=barbecue+ignitor.

I did the push button lighter and consider it one of the best mods I have done. I hated having to light the stove every time. Get out the matches, light the stove, put the matches away, go to turn down the burner - oops, too far. Aargh! Get out the matches...

I recently met a Hawk owner who had a camper the same age as my Eagle but without the dents and scratches.
He explained that he put a set of wheels on his rear pole jacks so he could align the camper with the truck rather than the other way around.
Since I do not have a paved loading zone this seemed difficult but with some thought I came up with the following:
Only one set of wheels is needed because the camper is often on just three poles. Anyway it works great!
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/uploads/1340015929/gallery_2153_394_621487.jpg

You just remined me of my furniture dollys. I used them on our old northstar. It was 1600lbs empty. I going to try them on our fwc shell.

Mike!!! Howyadoin'?

Now, doing pretty good!

Right after we got our ATC Cougar in 2008 and took our 1st long trip, we did NOT realize how expensive college was going to be for our two daughters!!!! For the next four years, my wife worked 40+ hrs/wk as a school teacher AND 30+ hrs/wk at a local grocery store; and I worked 46+ hrs/wk at a home improvement store. (I retired in 12/99 at 51 years old.) We managed to pay for all of University of Michigan for both girls without any loans.

With only one daughter for one more year, we decided we need a 2nd trip. We spent 19 days going to all the great places in Southern Utah and Northern Arizona. We just got back from that trip and we love our ATC Cougar more than ever!

Now, I have more time to do more tweaks to our Cougar getting ready for our bucket list trip to Alaska for 3 months in a few years!

Mike

P.S. We did have problems on the 2nd trip... http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6146/page__p__70833&#entry70833

On June 6th I picked up a new ATC Ocelot Shell Camper in Sacramento, and spent 2 weeks camping in it on the way home. Since getting home, I have made a few mods (some of which qualify for this thread). One is an extension bar to the standard ATC (maybe FWC as well) boat/luggage rack. The bar cost about $11 CDN to make, and with it, both my wife and I can load the canoe onto the roof of the camper single handed without using a step stool. A step stool is required to attach the bar, and to tie down the canoe. I have loaded some pictures in the members gallery (Ocelot shell mods), but could not figure out how to point to them in this thread. A big thanks to Frank and White Dog for responding to my query on Inno Canoe/Boats rollers in another thread on this forum. (Inno Tech support did not respond to my emails).

The other low cost mod (picture in the gallery) is an aluminum rail around the counter top above the propane tank and furnace $7CDN - stops things left on the counter from falling to the floor while traveling.

On June 6th I picked up a new ATC Ocelot Shell Camper in Sacramento, and spent 2 weeks camping in it on the way home. Since getting home, I have made a few mods (some of which qualify for this thread). One is an extension bar to the standard ATC (maybe FWC as well) boat/luggage rack. The bar cost about $11 CDN to make, and with it, both my wife and I can load the canoe onto the roof of the camper single handed without using a step stool. A step stool is required to attach the bar, and to tie down the canoe. I have loaded some pictures in the members gallery (Ocelot shell mods), but could not figure out how to point to them in this thread. A big thanks to Frank and White Dog for responding to my query on Inno Canoe/Boats rollers in another thread on this forum. (Inno Tech support did not respond to my emails).

The other low cost mod (picture in the gallery) is an aluminum rail around the counter top above the propane tank and furnace $7CDN - stops things left on the counter from falling to the floor while traveling.

Nice story about putting the daughters through college.We had the same situation and it worked out great.The girls made it through college in the normal 4 years and worked to help with tuition.Although that was"last" century (end of). Any way thanks for the pics.I like the loading bar idea,but with my roof rack design I am not sure it would work.At the present time our system does fine.Our camper is 7' from ground to roof which is doable for us to lift and place the front on the bar than push the rest of the way.I only have to climb the roof steps to attach the rear hold down strap and in the front I can just stand on the truck floor or seat to attach the front hold downs.
Enjoy your camper and I hope you make it out to Alaska soon.We made a trip to Denali last Aug/Sept.Drove and ferried. A trip to remember.
Like the mods,Frank

With too much time on my hands I have been thinking(may be a bad thing)about filling in the space between the camper over hang and the truck bed rail. I came up with using foam insulation (used for plumbing pipes) to fill in the space. I think since my camper doesn't over hang that much that in heavy rain or dusty roads I would get rain or dust in places not to be wanted.
I used screw eyes and plastic zip straps to hold the foam in place. The foam is squashed in the space but I think while driving it would work it's way out.So it needed to be at least held in place.
I haven't road tested this mod yet,but can't think the foam will move much.
I need to finish the rear end a little but I am working on that.

Materials for this are 2 6'foams(for 1/2"pipe),8 11"zip straps and screw eyes.
This mounting might not work for everyone,but it's just an idea.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN4406.jpg
    DSCN4406.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 531
  • DSCN4407.jpg
    DSCN4407.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 520
  • DSCN4408.jpg
    DSCN4408.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 507
  • DSCN4409.jpg
    DSCN4409.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 516
  • DSCN4410.jpg
    DSCN4410.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 500
  • DSCN4411.jpg
    DSCN4411.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 566
  • DSCN4412.jpg
    DSCN4412.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 526
A warming shelf for the cost of 4 S hooks and a bit of chain and a bit of drilling:

warmshelf1.jpg

warmshelf2.jpg

Someplace to put the sink cover for the cost of some aluminum channel and 4 screws:

sink1.jpg

sink3.jpg

sink2.jpg

Very nice low cost mods. Speaking of the sink cover, mine keeps bouncing off (can't be due to the way I drive can it?) and I need a way to keep it in place.

Very nice low cost mods. Speaking of the sink cover, mine keeps bouncing off (can't be due to the way I drive can it?) and I need a way to keep it in place.

What about a simple bent rod like what holds the stovetop up?

.99 cent Heater protection from Wasps, Mud Daubers and the like.
MrW

Attachments

• heater plug.jpg
    heater plug.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 406
Back
Top Bottom