Low Cost Mods

The foam is squashed in the space but I think while driving it would work it's way out.So it needed to be at least held in place.

A 1/4 bead of RTV along the edge of the insulation will keep it in place. I have done that for years.

~DR

A 1/4 bead of RTV along the edge of the insulation will keep it in place. I have done that for years.

~DR

Have you found that the pipe insulation is a worthwhile mod?I haven't been out in any dust or rain yet so it's to early to feel that what I have done is just for looks or will actually be a benefit.
Hadn't thought about the RTV but the plastic "zip" ties will work.
Thanks Frank

Have you found that the pipe insulation is a worthwhile mod?I haven't been out in any dust or rain yet so it's to early to feel that what I have done is just for looks or will actually be a benefit.
Hadn't thought about the RTV but the plastic "zip" ties will work.
Thanks Frank

I have used it for about ten years now on 2 different trucks. Keeps the dust and water out and stays in place. Before I used the RTV, it would wiggle out. That has never happened since. If you squirt the hose in there, you will get some water in there, but never from driving in the rain.

I really recommend it for every one. If the gap is too large, you can get larger pipe insulation at an industrial pipe supply warehouse. My friend had to use 3" pipe insulation, was $$$, but it worked.

~DR

DR thanks for the tips.I used 3" pipe insulation,2 6' sections I think is ran $5 may be.

I was going through SKI3Pins "about our camper" and saw how he arranged his under sink storage.We have been using the slide out baskets in our kitchen for years.So I raided one from our kitchen with the promise to get her another new one.It fits under our sink area nicely. I don't have as much height as Skis but this works great.It keeps all the pots and other quick need items plus the jug of water for cooking needs.
These baskets are from Home Depot and cost about $28.
Frank

PS The sliding baskets are from ClosetMaid brand 20"x14"x5" and a 20"x11"x5".Also the sliding door on the cabinet still closes

Attachments

• DSCN4416.jpg
    DSCN4416.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 521
  • DSCN4417.jpg
    DSCN4417.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 513
I have used it for about ten years now on 2 different trucks. Keeps the dust and water out and stays in place. Before I used the RTV, it would wiggle out. That has never happened since. If you squirt the hose in there, you will get some water in there, but never from driving in the rain.

I really recommend it for every one. If the gap is too large, you can get larger pipe insulation at an industrial pipe supply warehouse. My friend had to use 3" pipe insulation, was $$$, but it worked.

~DR

You could add a bit of color with pool noodles and I think they'r a bit larger too.

You could add a bit of color with pool noodles and I think they'r a bit larger too.

Jay pool noodles,nice idea but don't know about day glow colors.The size would work for larger spaces and I would think they are pretty cheep.I don't have a lot of space between the camper and truck bed rails,about 2 1/2" so the pipe insulation works nice.
Thanks for the suggestion.I bet it's been pretty hot down your way.
Frank

Jay pool noodles,nice idea but don't know about day glow colors.The size would work for larger spaces and I would think they are pretty cheep.I don't have a lot of space between the camper and truck bed rails,about 2 1/2" so the pipe insulation works nice.
Thanks for the suggestion.I bet it's been pretty hot down your way.
Frank

Frank,
The last few days are 95+ with high humidity. Light and thunder show every evening and lots of falling water. It's nice to sit out on the patio and enjoy the weather. Pam and I have been riding 17 miles early in the AM everyother day to beat the heat but the humidity is rough even at 6AM.

Jay - pool noodles seem to fall apart eventually (but, I understand the idea!).
Pipe insulation is made to last a long time. The rubber type stuff is best.

Casa - like the baskets. Tired of shoving all of the stuff in the cab, jams the door, etc. Will follow up with that idea.

Jeff

Jay - pool noodles seem to fall apart eventually (but, I understand the idea!).
Pipe insulation is made to last a long time. The rubber type stuff is best.

Casa - like the baskets. Tired of shoving all of the stuff in the cab, jams the door, etc. Will follow up with that idea.

Jeff

DR,the pots&pans worked out pretty good without the slide basket,but now it makes it easier to get the one you need. There is still room for other cooking things.Keeps from digging into other storage areas,like under the seats.I have a good bit of storage in my rig.I removed the back seat in the AC cab and fitted that area with plastic file cabinets.We use them for clothes and bulky items.Works well for us.We take just the minimum.Even with food we only take the minimum,there are enough stores along the way to get supplies.
Frank

Here is another Spice rack I ran across. Have not made one yet...It's on the list.

View attachment 13094

Funny! Just read through all 16pages of this thread. That picture is of my 1989 Skamper Build Thread on expedition portal. DesertRancher must be in EXPO too. ;) Its from about 1-1/2 years ago before I joined WTW! Funny. :D That spice rack worked out great on and off road. Cost was about $2 for the bungees. I plan on doing the same in the FWC refurb.

Great ideas on here guys. Ill have to add to the mix as my build progresses.
Cheers
Paul

I use a manhole access ladder for stairs for mt Alaskan camper. they have a candy cane design on the top of the hand rails that can be hooked beside door with an aluminum angle with two 1" holes in it. its roof access and a set of stairs with super non slip lugs. the cost is free...most dirt contractors have piles of these. they are strong light weight and even with snow and ice the are non slip.
Russ

heading anyplace fun? we were supposed to go camping this week ,but the bronchitis grabbed us. what a great vacation.
looking forward to pics.right now ,i use a step i bought on the internet that slides into the reciever, but i'm as cheap or cheaper than the next guy and if there is a better way, i'll try it. i do love my current step though.

wes

Attachments

• step 1.JPG
    step 1.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 696
I have something similar to that. Problem is its a pain to carry and I wind up leaving it at home unless I know its going to be a multi day trip where its worth packing.

I built something like that and I just leave it in the receiver hitch. As it has only one step I can invert it so as to not have a hangy-down part.

It seems my hitch is tied up with my jet boat or snowmobile trailer most of my trips. Those reciever steps are great if you dont pull a trailer. The ladder system I use is out of the way(and handy as roof access) just jackknife or unhook trailer,pull the ladder off the camper and install it at the base of the door as stairs. Im sure an old roof access ladder off a rv could be modified to work as well. i also have a vertical grab bar attached to the door as a hand rail. I have pics but I guess im a dumb guy with a smart phone and I cant seep to get my pics from point A to B.
Russ

I love the hitch step I got. Slides out of the way when driving and easily adjust to various angles and lengthshitch.jpg

Back
Top Bottom