Low Cost Mods

I would put an acorn nut on the end of the eye bolts. It looks like you could really lose some skin with the exposed threads.

Escapepod said:
Using jack brackets

I was looking for a place to hang my portable solar panel. $5 eye bolts fit the bottom hole in the jack brackets. 4 of them all around, and they make solid tie-down points.

attachicon.gif
Image1521858260.172335.jpg

Escapepod said:
. . . I was looking for a place to hang my portable solar panel . . . 4 of them all around, and they make solid tie-down points . . .
i'm a little confused (normal state). I am having a hard time visualizing how you hang portable solar panels from eyebolts on your jack brackets.

I have a carabiner clipped onto my lower right rear wall step and attach the dogs to that!

I don't have a pic of that side, and I'm too lazy to go outside and get one right now :)
But the carabiner is on the other side

gTms_JTKkyOBPlW3kiDidb1icFr011zGDBWgFd9W6mwuQGonWP0hV6Z2AirA4N0S05s6OjHIe4dBW-c8NV1JPOiygicas-f6u7n_N5iurH8-9YfIRLPpaoetMprLlYbwnRBbCxTgSbBO5mvjkS-vymwiZbawv-jEqZhRodqOu48hicCjwjnxqHF2beMpjPmdMrdHbGxjgKALacwvFPaAuhK8p7t4h0TDgBYC_NCCEeIzHWitnFz0basMU-D9ZFjJR1W7n3hIjdXAPb9zqsN-cE5fZAJG74dM3TOdSlvEI_tymWqx8Zw-zWLjOEwawoAjAj_ro8fSNqdzB-hYakQQzhrCqDmyZtJAl55d9BoC2JeqtHsd7yLwUmCk1ZMZ38STadMDkKIyE_r5B0LdmwLreeoTboQFkGCmP0kcHZ8CGS2oiHr-vcqnTtZ4TadUe9i7fqtGYidZoQOTBqKhfttzt_nVSkbnPnNO3NAagD68UKwv0nRR4QJjFbLfnOdU_vN6RFb7KICr43oOXjigje_zR8QdHfanfF6p3Epvu1jiy71k17ZLCX5laR8F97z5fTDzuty8e6t5CzHCUSKhMQfTVaZCT8oHknd7BaZ22R6P=w2590-h1464-no

JaSAn said:
i'm a little confused (normal state). I am having a hard time visualizing how you hang portable solar panels from eyebolts on your jack brackets.
Sorry, I should have taken pictures. Will try to post some soon.

Lighthawk said:
We all spend thousands of dollars on our trucks and campers. And then there's all the toys: cameras, kayaks, bikes, etc. = $$$$$
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But what about the other end of the spectrum? How much bang can you get for the least buck?
I'm suggesting we start a thread to share our low cost solutions; say $10 $25 or less.
This is meant to be fun, so feel free to show off your rubber band powered, Rube Goldberg special edition mods!
biggrin.gif

Extra points for speed of install and reuse of something you already own.

I'll start off with my 99 cent solution to mount the omnipresent roll of paper towels.
Up until now, we store the roll in half the upper cabinet, which hogs a lot of space and is not easy to access.

Voila! Five minutes of time with materials scrounged from my garage and . . .

I put two #8 sheet metal screws into the bottom of the over-the-couch cabinet and used a mini-bungie cord between them.
One end I bent the hook around the screw to keep it there.
Mounting the paper towel roll requires a quick fish of the bungie and then hook it up there.
The friction is just right to pay out towels, but also to tear off with the snap o' the wrist.

This mod is not field tested.
wink.gif

We're heading out for a three or four day trip over Thanksgiving, so we'll give it a good shake down.
We're also going to try a mod I have done to our settee to create a better lounging experience at night. If that works, I'll share in a later post.

Anyone else have something cheap and effective to share?
This is my solution to hanging paper towel roll when popped up. Cost: $0. Used the FWC bungees, hooked together...

IMG_2263.JPG

Escapepod said:
This is my solution to hanging paper towel roll when popped up. Cost: $0. Used the FWC bungees, hooked together...
I like it. Solves the problem of where to store the bungees also.

Paul

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I would put an acorn nut on the end of the eye bolts. It looks like you could really lose some skin with the exposed threads.
Trim threads to length for an acorn nut.

I'd be saying all of my Marine cuss words in one sentence if I did a head check on those threads on my camper!

Good utilization Escapepod. I imagine with a little ingenuity those plates can also be utilized as an awning support; cloths line; antenna; flag pole attachment; pet leash attachement *; etc...

CAUTION: If using as a Pet leash attachment please be sure to detach before flight. Dangling a red flag in a prominent location inside the cab would be another way to remind self and other operators of the vehicle to check for possible attached items.

Speaking of reminder systems. I use a spiral key ring to remind me to turn off my propane tank before I drive off. I know there are differing opinions on driving with propane on or off, I prefer to be legal and safe. It isn't that big a hassle. I turn the knob, remove the spiral, place it on the gear shift in cab. That way I see it when I go to leave.
full

full

full

Good move Bseek.

If you ever rupture a propane tank and it catches on fire - run.... It cannot be put out and will create a BLEVE (Boiling liquid evaporating vapor explosion.) It burns until the pressure cannot be contained by the ruptured tank and whatever is left inside goes boom and a big fireball comes out hurling the tank, and possibly some shrapnel, somewhere.....

I had a class on it years ago when I drove a propane powered forklift. Propane is nothing to fool around with :)

That said, using proper safety precautions it is no more dangerous than any other highly flammable stuff we use....lol

Not necessarily. I've put out a propane fueled fire when I was working for CDF. The relief valves work pretty well. Still, get away until the fire department arrives is good advice.

I have and probably will forget a lot of stuff but not the dog. Vacation was a good movie cept for that part.

20180327_145421.jpg I recently posted in a separet thread. I've been using a nylon cutting board for years to get more counter space when not using the sink. I finally got smart and cut a half round so the dripping faucet had a place to go

Back
Top Bottom