Low Cost Mods

craig333 said:
Not necessarily. I've put out a propane fueled fire when I was working for CDF. The relief valves work pretty well. Still, get away until the fire department arrives is good advice.

I have and probably will forget a lot of stuff but not the dog. Vacation was a good movie cept for that part.
Things have probably changed since I worked at the plant where I drove propane fueled forklifts. Good thing because they were pretty dangerous back then (late 70's) Yea I'm that old :p

Glad to see this thread continues to be relevant.
Good ideas continue to sprout and are fun to share.

420 posts over the last six and half years, works out to be roughly a post every week.
Who knew there were so many mods and that we were so creative and cheeeep!

Keep 'em coming!

From my 4Wheel Camper Post: Removable Outdoor Shower Mount

As awesome as it is to have a hot outdoor shower, its a bit inconvenient to have to hold the shower head. As I did not want to mount anything to the outside, preserving the 'clean' look, this is what I came up with.

The pictures are pretty self explanatory, but basically it hangs on the door when in use then just goes in the shower compartment when not in use.

I assume it will work for other models of 4Wheel campers as well as other campers.

Attachments

• IMG_4447.JPG
    IMG_4447.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_4448.JPG
    IMG_4448.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4449.JPG
    IMG_4449.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_4744.JPG
    IMG_4744.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_4745.JPG
    IMG_4745.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 280
Wow, its a much different system than the outside shower mine. Where does the showerhead reside when not in use?

Not exactly a mod, rather an alternative use. I purchased two dishcloth size microfiber towels and found they stick to the overhead velcro intented for the arctic pak, which I do not have. I can just throw them at the velco and they stick. one is for dishes, the other for wiping the counter.

BillTheHiker said:
Not exactly a mod, rather an alternative use. I purchased two dishcloth size microfiber towels and found they stick to the overhead velcro intented for the arctic pak, which I do not have. I can just throw them at the velco and they stick. one is for dishes, the other for wiping the counter.
Now that's clever! Those towels are good for wiping off condensation so you could easily keep some up in the bed area.

I was inspired by a beautiful machined drying rack designed by Conestoga, and came up with this low-tech stowable clothesline that takes advantage of the eyebolts installed on my jack brackets. Trucker’s hitch used for tightening the lines. Total cost: $1.50 in scrap 1” dowel and paracord.
Image1525799881.103867.jpg
Image1525799558.675513.jpgImage1525799580.098273.jpgImage1525799589.877142.jpg

Escapepod said:
I was inspired by a beautiful machined drying rack designed by Conestoga, and came up with this low-tech stowable clothesline that takes advantage of the eyebolts installed on my jack brackets. Trucker’s hitch used for tightening the lines. Total cost: $1.50 in scrap 1” dowel and paracord.
attachicon.gif
Image1525799881.103867.jpg
attachicon.gif
Image1525799558.675513.jpg
attachicon.gif
Image1525799580.098273.jpg
attachicon.gif
Image1525799589.877142.jpg
I just stretch a bungee from one side to the other. Works great for holding dish rags too while cooking.

I got sick of the bugs and dirt getting up under the lip of the roof and getting the canvas filthy before I even popped the top up. I bought some neoprene (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JSWJTNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and cut it in half the length of the entire piece (6" wide).

I then cutout some holes for the buckles and the lift support struts. I have not tested it yet. It's wedges up under the roof pretty well and I don't anticipate it moving too much on me. However, I think I may run some painters tape along the bottom edge between the marker lights to keep it in place and have even less area that will get pelted by bugs.

I use a yakima fairing to cut the wind noise down and I have thought about building a full sized fairing but it is very far down my priority list so I went the low cost mod route. We'll see how it works. I'm driving 18.5hrs to Sonoma in 8 days. Seems like a good test.

IMG_20180428_072206764 edit.jpg

Kink, I'd like to see a closeup pic of how you fastened if possible?

kink said:
I got sick of the bugs and dirt getting up under the lip of the roof and getting the canvas filthy before I even popped the top up. I bought some neoprene (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JSWJTNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and cut it in half the length of the entire piece (6" wide).

I then cutout some holes for the buckles and the lift support struts. I have not tested it yet. It's wedges up under the roof pretty well and I don't anticipate it moving too much on me. However, I think I may run some painters tape along the bottom edge between the marker lights to keep it in place and have even less area that will get pelted by bugs.

I use a yakima fairing to cut the wind noise down and I have thought about building a full sized fairing but it is very far down my priority list so I went the low cost mod route. We'll see how it works. I'm driving 18.5hrs to Sonoma in 8 days. Seems like a good test.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20180428_072206764 edit.jpg

XJINTX said:
Kink, I'd like to see a closeup pic of how you fastened if possible?
It's not fastened with anything other than friction and the cutout for the buckle. It's wedged under the lip of the roof and wraps around the corner (slightly) to the side. It stays on very well, when the camper is stationary at least. I'm guessing some wind may get under the bottom edge (near the FWC sticker) and potentially lift it. That's why I mentioned using painters tape at first. If it proves to work well, I'll likely use some high strength velcro to keep things looking better.

I store my one pound propane bottles in the propane cabinet. One slim one fits horizontally on the upper side of the big tank along with some Lynx levelers. That is my back up emergency bottle. But the chubby one pounder rides in the front. It tended to tip and I was worried it would fall out when I opened the door. A simple hiking water bottle carrier on a caribiner solved the problem. The rubber ring fits easily around the threaded top.
full

full

And just because I was uploading photos, you get my recent shot of Half Dome framed in my door window. I should have opened the screen so it wouldn't show but I didn't see that until I got home.
full

Why won't this work?

rsz_c.jpg

I posted additional pics and details on my blog here: The Aimless Roamer

After spending four days sweltering in Death/Saline Valley last month, I had to come up with a solution to keep the hot afternoon sun from bearing down on the off of the "canvas" and heating up the inside of the camper.

I bought a roll of Reflectix, installed some grommets and bought some cheap little carabiners and may have found a solution. I did have to drill some holes in my Bobcat, which made me nervous, but they aren't in a critical place, so I gave it a shot.

I made sure that the holes on each side were in the same place so I can move it from side to side to "follow the sun." I just have to remember to try and park perpendicular to the path of the sun and it should work.

I'll let everyone know after I use it the first time.

Shane, looks good! I wonder if putting a layer of the thermal pack material behind it would provide insulation? The Reflectix will reflect nicely, but might still have some heat bleeding into the Bobcat.

Shane,

Here's RicoV's solution about basically the same thing... a homebuilt exterior Reflectix wrap.
Several messages about it throughout the two pages of that thread (i.e., read the entire thread).

Took me awhile to find it, as the thread title is not that descriptive for the actual techniques applied, So, I doubt that it is easily found by searching. I just remember someone doing it, and even followed up enough on the idea to buy the Reflectix, yet I've not used the stuff at this time, so thanks for jogging my memory.

Back
Top Bottom