Lower Sleeping Platform

claws said:
Thanks for the post, Sleddog. I am concerned about the side rails as well but am thinking a firm 4" high foam bed pad would alleviate that problem. You're right about the back not being flat because of hinges and aluminum bracing but folding one section up to lean against the camper front wall and sitting on the other half might work but I'd have to do something with the mattress in this configuration. One option would be to remove the hinges and just use 1/2 of the ramp with the side rail to the rear for a settee with the factory cushions but that would defeat the idea of a stealth bed. It's really too bad that FWC changed the bench openings to the side because Rich's idea of a cleat supported 40" platform would have worked great. You are also right about leaving the bed set up permanently. Back to the drawing board I guess. Luckily I have until December to figure this out.

Kim
Kim - if you really want an aluminum settee (one piece or two seperate hinged pieces) you could specify exactly what you want to an aluminum fabricator. They could make a very simple frame that would sit level and/or fold up level as well, made of standard 1"x2" t-6061 aluminum tubing for support on the underside and cover it with a tack-welded skin of 1/8" flat plate on top of the frame. If you wanted it to fold, they could weld on a couple of aluminum bullet hinges to a second platform that would allow you to join the two by simply sliding one hinge onto the other. You don't need side fiddles or any other stuff that is typical of a wheelchair ramp. This would be a solution for you, but we're talking about the cost of aluminum and associated fabrication expense. I would think a good fabricator could put this together for you in about an hour per platform. So, say two hours fab time for two ramps, hinged, plus the materials cost. My guess is $100/hr for labor and another $200 for materials for two platforms - half that amount if you go with a singe, fixed width size (which I would suggest) It would be a pretty, sweet, low-profile, utilitarian settee with plenty of storage below. Of course, you could do something similar in plywood and 2x4s for $100 (more bulky) - Just sayin.. Rich

I may have found a solution. I found a 6'x2' solid top aluminum shelf that will support 800 lbs. It's about 1.75" thick, would sit flat on the benches, has no protruding rails, and could easily handle the 40" span between the camper benches. It only weighs 20 lbs. and costs less than $200. I don't know how to post a link to this product but it is sold by Katom Restaurant Supply. It's called the New Age 2472SB Solid Aluminum Shelf if anyone wants to take a look.

Kim

Better but still a bit narrow. I'd think 24-30 inches minimal for sitting and sleeping.
claws said:
I may have found a solution. I found a 6'x2' solid top aluminum shelf that will support 800 lbs. It's about 1.75" thick, would sit flat on the benches, has no protruding rails, and could easily handle the 40" span between the camper benches. It only weighs 20 lbs. and costs less than $200. I don't know how to post a link to this product but it is sold by Katom Restaurant Supply. It's called the New Age 2472SB Solid Aluminum Shelf if anyone wants to take a look.

Kim

ri-f said:
Better but still a bit narrow. I'd think 24-30 inches minimal for sitting and sleeping.
I like the 24" width for a couple of reasons, Rich. It maximizes limited floor space and side bench space. Also, my living room couch is only 24" wide and I'm able to nap way more than I should on it. I will be sleeping on the cab over bed almost all of the time and only need the lower couch for my dog to sleep and me to eat, as well as the occasional stealth nap. The lower platform bed might be used by my wife if she chooses to accompany my dog and me on our travels. She refuses to climb into the upper bed anymore.

Kim

ri-f said:
It's easy to figure out. I just piled boxes on my bed to figure out how wide is comfortable for me: 24". I went with 39" because my beagle sleeps with me (and I seldom get more than 24", lol) and because standard twin sheets fit.

Oh, my mistake, Kim, I misread the dimension on the width. Happy to hear it's 24 inches instead of 20. You should be fine then. Sounds good for your setup! Rich
claws said:
I like the 24" width for a couple of reasons, Rich. It maximizes limited floor space and side bench space. Also, my living room couch is only 24" wide and I'm able to nap way more than I should on it. I will be sleeping on the cab over bed almost all of the time and only need the lower couch for my dog to sleep and me to eat, as well as the occasional stealth nap. The lower platform bed might be used by my wife if she chooses to accompany my dog and me on our travels. She refuses to climb into the upper bed anymore.

Kim

This is an interesting discussion among the Shell Folks who understand the wonders of using a shell model camper and all the versatility and space it offers...you (we) are a special sub tribe.

We have long slept cross ways, one up one down in our 2012 FWC Hawk.

We came up with a fairly efficient design Bench Bunk Table that stows well for travel and sets up in 20-30 seconds if you don't include slinging out the bed rolls.

Our preferred Luggage is plastic tubs and half tubs which stack exactly the height of the side benches....and thereby can slide under the BBT even with the bed made.

Our typical plan is to find our spot for the night, pop up the roof, put the tubs topside at the front of the attic, make the top bunk, and then make the bottom bunk......all done in time for the tea kettle.

In a serious narly wind storm en route to Baja one year we both slept on the down bunk parked in lee of a semi and with the roof fastened down. For serious long distance travel I often sleep solo "down stairs."

I will try to add some images as they may show the arrangement...may need to mail them first to another member as I am technically deficient.

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
This is an interesting discussion among the Shell Folks who understand the wonders of using a shell model camper and all the versatility and space it offers...you (we) are a special sub tribe.

We have long slept cross ways, one up one down in our 2012 FWC Hawk.

We came up with a fairly efficient design Bench Bunk Table that stows well for travel and sets up in 20-30 seconds if you don't include slinging out the bed rolls.

Our preferred Luggage is plastic tubs and half tubs which stack exactly the height of the side benches....and thereby can slide under the BBT even with the bed made.

Our typical plan is to find our spot for the night, pop up the roof, put the tubs topside at the front of the attic, make the top bunk, and then make the bottom bunk......all done in time for the tea kettle.

In a serious narly wind storm en route to Baja one year we both slept on the down bunk parked in lee of a semi and with the roof fastened down. For serious long distance travel I often sleep solo "down stairs."

I will try to add some images as they may show the arrangement...may need to mail them first to another member as I am technically deficient.

David Graves
Hi David.
I'd very much like to see your set up. I looked for, but didn't find, what you described on line. Please send photos when you can.

Thanks,
Kim

Hello Kim

Here's a deal....PM me your email address and then YOU post the images here....in this thread.

FWIW, I built our set up...all pretty simple but a lot of design thought to make it work so easily.

As I recall, I made the bunk 37 inches wide.

Best Regards

David Graves

Back
Top Bottom