Lower window winter coverings

Jamesiam

With winter upon us I realized I needed to keep the 3 season camper a bit warmer. I purchased some vinyl for the outside wrap material with a kind of fire retardant on the inside. The fire retardant has a thin but strong shiny side with the remainder an almost wool look. The insulation part was the most expensive coming in at 20 a sq yd. After my friend Don, who I hired as my seamstress was done with the covers I took them down to Mill end fabrics and used their button/snap press to finish the job. With material and payment/seamstress tip it cost around $120.00.

Attachments

• RSide-view-facing-forward.gif
    RSide-view-facing-forward.gif
    189.9 KB · Views: 256
  • RBack-W.gif
    RBack-W.gif
    88.4 KB · Views: 281
  • Rside-window.gif
    Rside-window.gif
    119.7 KB · Views: 248
Looks Great James! Nice work!

Those look really nice!

I used Reflectix over my windows, it gives them an interesting look from the outside. :oops:

I was thinking of doing the same, but dont really like the look either! Hum... Im sure we can come up with a solution... :D

Those look really nice!

I used Reflectix over my windows, it gives them an interesting look from the outside. :oops:

X2. I have pieces for all the windows and they store nicely under the upper bunk mattresses.

I was thinking of doing the same, but dont really like the look either! Hum... Im sure we can come up with a solution... :D

I actually kind of like the look of the Reflectix through the window, it keeps to the Tardis theme and adds some mystery to the casual observer.

I was so happy with the initial performance my reflectix mod that I never bothered with the lower windows. After hitting 13* recently and using the curtains and a blanket I have decided to cut pieces for all windows, it does make a big difference.

Nice clean mod James, looks great!

Thanks everyone, I'm really happy with it as well. I also noticed in stealth mode, lights on inside, you can't see a hint of light while casing the outside at night.

Back in the 80s Mother Earth News had an article using quilted material as insulated window covering.

Yep, very nice work, James, call me envious. I see you used snaps for your fasteners; I'm curious, as part of your planning did you consider other possible means of fastening the coverings around the window frames, too? I'm another FWCer who has considered the cheapo Reflectix solution, since my wife and I rarely camp in cold weather (but like to be warm when we do). So I'm wondering if Velcro squares at the corners of the coverings would be sufficient to hold the Reflectix in place, or are there other/better ways to attach them to the window frames and seal out the cold conduction? Anyone know? Thanks.

So I'm wondering if Velcro squares at the corners of the coverings would be sufficient to hold the Reflectix in place, or are there other/better ways to attach them to the window frames and seal out the cold conduction? Anyone know? Thanks.

I cut my Reflectix to the size of the window frame, so it friction fits in the groove just fine.

I cut my Reflectix to the size of the window frame, so it friction fits in the groove just fine.

So you are just pressing it in the grooves and it stays put?

There is a sheet rubber sold by McMaster (my favorite hardware store after Avenue Hardware) with a very low Durometer that exhibits extreme tackiness on smooth surfaces. My thought for our FJ60's rear windows was to sew some Reflectix into a cloth cover with a piece of this rubber at each corner to hold it in place. Would sort of be "velcro" for the glass.

So you are just pressing it in the grooves and it stays put?

Yup. I have one layer in the front (camper to cab) window, and two layers in the big part of the side window. I left the screened area open and have a small curtain for that part.

There is a sheet rubber sold by McMaster (my favorite hardware store after Avenue Hardware) with a very low Durometer that exhibits extreme tackiness on smooth surfaces. My thought for our FJ60's rear windows was to sew some Reflectix into a cloth cover with a piece of this rubber at each corner to hold it in place. Would sort of be "velcro" for the glass.

Sounds like fun stuff. Can we have a link?

If I knew exactly what it was I'd be happy to share. The sample that I played with was at my old work. We never could figure out which p/n it was of the variety that we ordered a year or more prior to then. I'm going to have to order some samples to figure it out all over again. This is the beginning: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-sheets/=kemf0t

I see you used snaps for your fasteners; I'm curious, as part of your planning did you consider other possible means of fastening the coverings around the window frames, too?

My planning mostly came from seeing my friends Hallmark campers arctic pack for his windows. They had snap on's so that's what I decided to use.

I feel Velcro should hold Reflectix just fine. I'm not sure if the cold camper walls would hold the stickiness from the backside of the Velcro though. I like how others have posted about cutting to a perfect fit, that sounds pretty sleek.

I've ordered these p/n's:
8448K13 (30 Shore A)
9455K666 (Durometer Selector pack)
9109K62 (10 Shore A)
9109K62 (20 Shore A)
I'll guess that I'll see them Weds/Thurs of this coming week.

Back
Top Bottom