Meanwhile in Utah

Cayuse thanks for posting and keeping us informed.
Our Public lands do IMO have a great value to us the public besides what can be "drilled ,shoveled, mined.cut down and dammed"
from them.
Frank

I'm glad the outdoor industry is speaking their mind.
It's really terrible the public lands held in trust are suddenly in jeopardy.

And the never ending beat goes on! What do they say about what "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result " is called? Bubble or no bubble, facts or alternative facts, stupid is, stupid does. and that seems to sum it all up, doesn't it? Nothing seems to change some minds, while we and the public lands suffer and some people keep their jobs and certain other unnamed people get richer-time to write more letters and maybe even learn to tweet :unsure: !

Smoke

highz said:
When is Herbert up for re-election?
2020, he was just re-elected in this last cycle...

I am torn. A part of me thinks that I should boycott Utah and spend time exploring the desert landscapes of CA, NV, NM, CO AZ and OR. Yet I think about the small businesses in Escalante, Hanksville, Bluff and other small towns that are dependent on our dollars for their livelihoods. The guides that lead canyoneering trips and the small restaurants and gas stations off the beaten path. Maybe some sort of list or registry will come about for those businesses that support public lands, keeping GSENM its present size and not fighting Bears Ears NM.

I don't like the idea of boycotting Utah since I love the scenery so much and have enjoyed my many trips there, but right now I think I will avoid the state entirely this year of at least make sure I get gas, groceries and supplies before I visit. If the local businesses can start putting pressure on the state government that will have to help. All these moves are allegedly to benefit the locals so we need them to step up since their voices will be louder that us 'tourists'.

Cayuse said:
2020, he was just re-elected in this last cycle...

I am torn. A part of me thinks that I should boycott Utah and spend time exploring the desert landscapes of CA, NV, NM, CO AZ and OR. Yet I think about the small businesses in Escalante, Hanksville, Bluff and other small towns that are dependent on our dollars for their livelihoods. The guides that lead canyoneering trips and the small restaurants and gas stations off the beaten path. Maybe some sort of list or registry will come about for those businesses that support public lands, keeping GSENM its present size and not fighting Bears Ears NM.
I would think that anyone living in those towns would be in favour of tourism? I love the area too and have a trip planned out for May. Was thinking of boycotting, but love the idea of a registry even more.

A registry would help. Even so, you will be putting $$ into the state through taxes. Maybe match the taxes you would pay in donations to groups or politicians that support public lands - and tell Herbert you did so! Or, maybe find guides who will work for "under the table" cash?

I kind of like the idea of a register of local businesses that are friendly to enhanced protection of federal land where designated, but maybe a better idea is to tap back into the resources of the WTW community. If you are passing through and have a good experience in a restaurant, post up in the thread about restaurants. If you read a good book about the area, there's a thread for that too.

I'll also advocate for gassing up and topping off supplies in the little towns around the monuments. Yeah, it's more expensive, and right, in Utah the sales tax is likely to help fund bone-headed legislative adventures, but at least you're not feeding a narrative out there that visitors come in increasing numbers, negatively impact a traditional lifestyle, but don't leave any cash.

I guess you can also choose not to come to Utah at all, and right now I can't say that I'd blame you. But that would be a shame. You'd be missing out on a chance for a great experience, and Utah would be missing out on exposure to a great community that knows and advocates how to recreate responsibly: by playing within the rules, and maintaining a light footprint.

If you want to contribute financially, but don't want it to go to State gov, here's a short list of organizations working hard to protect the natural areas:

Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance
Grand Staircase Escalante Partenrs
Friends of Cedar Mesa
Utah Dine Bikeya

Here is another proposal from the Utah legislature that would effect GSENM:
http://www.sltrib.com/news/4789600-155/proposal-to-create-utah-state-park

While this seems less bad than the other proposal to shrink GSENM (which appears to primarily be motivated by a pipe dream to mine coal on the kaiparowits plateau), I am also against this. First it sets a bad precedent for transferring federal land to state control, secondly while Utah State Parks are nice, they are generally speaking very heavily developed (camp grounds with hook ups, visitors centers, snack shops) which is pretty inconsistent with the rugged nature of this area. Finally I suspect there are some religious motivations to this park - to promote mormonism. There are already 'visitors centers' at both ends off hole in the rock (Escalante and Bluff) that are thinly disguised tools for evangelism.

As for a boycott - I think the most effective approach, and what we will try is to avoid spending money in the rest of the state, but spend money in Boulder/Escalante etc while making it clear that you are there to visit the monument. The state politicians claim that the locals in SE Utah are entirely against the monument, whereas at meetings in Escalante many business owners have tried to explain the positive economic impact of the monument and their support for it. Spending money and mentioning the monument helps reinforce this narrative.

rando said:
Here is another proposal from the Utah legislature that would effect GSENM:
http://www.sltrib.com/news/4789600-155/proposal-to-create-utah-state-park

While this seems less bad than the other proposal to shrink GSENM (which appears to primarily be motivated by a pipe dream to mine coal on the kaiparowits plateau), I am also against this. First it sets a bad precedent for transferring federal land to state control, secondly while Utah State Parks are nice, they are generally speaking very heavily developed (camp grounds with hook ups, visitors centers, snack shops) which is pretty inconsistent with the rugged nature of this area. Finally I suspect there are some religious motivations to this park - to promote mormonism. There are already 'visitors centers' at both ends off hole in the rock (Escalante and Bluff) that are thinly disguised tools for evangelism.

As for a boycott - I think the most effective approach, and what we will try is to avoid spending money in the rest of the state, but spend money in Boulder/Escalante etc while making it clear that you are there to visit the monument. The state politicians claim that the locals in SE Utah are entirely against the monument, whereas at meetings in Escalante many business owners have tried to explain the positive economic impact of the monument and there support for it. Spending money and mentioning the monument helps reinforce this narrative.
I think there may be a secondary and much darker motive behind the proposal for a state park. If they pave the road out to accommodate buses and RV's then it will also be able accommodate heavy equipment that would be required to haul coal off of the Kaiparowits Plateau. For anyone who is interested in seeing a recent report regarding Utah's energy resources and how those resources are used there is a report available here.

Perhaps Utah will learn from their neighbors to the south since it looks like the Navajo Generating Station is going to be closed within the next couple of years.

rando said:
I hope that the Outdoor Retailer Show moves out of SLC and that Black Diamond, Petzl and the like follow them. Colorado values would are much more closely aligned with this industry and maybe this will be a wake up call to Utah politicians.

Attachments

• outdoorretailerad.pdf   midatlantic1987 gmail.com.jpg
    outdoorretailerad.pdf midatlantic1987 gmail.com.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 29
Cayuse said:
I think there may be a secondary and much darker motive behind the proposal for a state park. If they pave the road out to accommodate buses and RV's then it will also be able accommodate heavy equipment that would be required to haul coal off of the Kaiparowits Plateau. For anyone who is interested in seeing a recent report regarding Utah's energy resources and how those resources are used there is a report available here.

Perhaps Utah will learn from their neighbors to the south since it looks like the Navajo Generating Station is going to be closed within the next couple of years.

Thanks for the link to the energy report. There it is, 59% of coal recoverable coal right in the middle of GSENM.

Another developer w.., I mean fever dream from the 70's was the trans-escalate highway. It would have run from Bullfrog, across the Escalante river canyon, up and over the Kaiparowits. I thought those proposals were long dead with the monument designation, but 1/20 changed a lot of things.

Back
Top Bottom