Meanwhile in Utah

I think the #grabyourwallet campaign has been effective for folks that don't agree with businesses that are enriching a certain family at our expense. Perhaps friends of a wild Utah could develop a similar campaign where companies that support the environment are rewarded and those that are insist upon taking away those public lands are shunned.

I've contacted several companies that are opposite my beliefs and have closed accounts with them. Vote with your feet, folks. Our wild lands can only be lost once. These are risky times and being informed and taking action is essential.

Stalking Light said:
There are many businesses in Utah that I like to patronize but they or their neighbors voted those folks into office so I'll be spending in other states for a while.
I hate the idea of punishing the small businesses because of what the politicians have done/are doing. I have friends there who guide and work in other tourism dependent industries and realize that a boycott will hurt the small towns where many like minded individuals live and that will further propagate the problem if they are forced to move out of state because there are no longer jobs to support them.

The imperfect solution that I have come up with is that for every tax dollar that goes to the state of Utah through gasoline or other purchases I will make a donation of equal or greater value to SUWA, GSENM Partners, Friends of Cedar Mesa or one of the other organizations fighting for Utah's public lands. This will be beyond the donations I'm already making to those organizations. It isn't a perfect solution but it will help me feel a little less guilty about spending time there.

I hate to punish them too, but somebody voted those clowns into office and hate to help pay their salaries via sales or gasoline tax. If the locals don't feel a bit of a pinch and do something about their own state I don't know who can. It's a lose lose situation either way IMO.

Back
Top Bottom