Meteorological Spring

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
I'm posting in honor of our resident weather man - MarkBC

Today is the first day of Spring! Clean up the BBQ grills and get ready for green grass and leaves on trees. Here's to lounging in the sun. :)

Meteorological Spring

Rumor has it that Mr. BC jumped the gun on warmer weather and headed south to become - somewhat - a snowbird. Happy travels our friend and happy spring!

Yes! Anticipating the upcoming time change and eruption of flora soon to follow! The mountains and hills are green around here, creeks are flowing and we think it will be an epic spring! Dusted off the backpacking gear last weekend and new mountain bike tires are enroute.

Thanks, ski3pin!
Yes, winter and spring way down in Big Bend N.P., west Texas, is different than in central Oregon. A week ago, still winter, while camped by the Rio Grande, there was a day with a high of 95°...but the most amazing thing was that the low that night was 38° - a 57F° temperature swing! Dang!
Mostly highs in the 70s to low 80s. :)

ski3pin said:

Today is the first day of Spring! Clean up the BBQ grills and get ready for green grass and leaves on trees. Here's to lounging in the sun. :)

Meteorological Spring

Rumor has it that Mr. BC jumped the gun on warmer weather and headed south to become - somewhat - a snowbird. Happy travels our friend and happy spring!
I like the Meteorological Spring months.
Here's to the Gregorian Calendar.
Frank

Even though by our standards it's been a mild winter, I am definitely ready for spring. Snow today but maybe 60° this weekend. Yay! Of course we still have March to get through which is known to be unpredictable. Probably some winter yet to endure.

I've often thought the seasons were changing in advance of astronomical seasons.

Yet today, I skied some local powder. :D

Ahhh................ we wanted to get away this weekend, especially with beautiful sunshine mid week to inspire. Weather conspired against us. 4 inches of snow last night, 6 to 10 predicted for today, 2 to 4 overnight, and 1 to 3 tomorrow. Sunshine for mid week though, and next weekend - storm. :) It is 8 am, all morning chores are done along with a stew in the crock pot. The Lady is a bundle of energy. This is going to be a long day...............................

Winter Storm Warning
Code:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
435 AM PST Sun Mar 5 2017

...Snow Impacts NorCal Mountains Through Monday...

.A cold storm system will bring low snow levels and significant
snow accumulation through Monday. Periods of heavy snow will be
probable in the mountains through tonight with lingering snow
showers on Monday. Several feet of snowfall accumulation will be
likely above 5000 feet elevation. Snow levels will lower to around
1500 feet in the northern mountains and around 2000 to 2500 feet
in the northern Sierra.

CAZ064-067-069-060100-
/O.CON.KSTO.WS.W.0011.000000T0000Z-170307T0000Z/
Clear Lake/Southern Lake County-Motherlode-
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
Including the cities of Lakeport, Grass Valley, Jackson,
and Blue Canyon
435 AM PST Sun Mar 5 2017

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM PST MONDAY...

* MAIN IMPACT...Travel delays with chain controls and slick
  roads. Poor visibility due to snow and gusty winds will make
  travel hazardous.

* CONFIDENCE...High.

* TIMING...Through Monday.

* LOCATIONS...Interstate 80, Highway 50, and Highway 88.

* TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...8 to 14 inches above 3000 feet, 1 to
  2 feet above 4000 feet. Up to 3 feet above 6000 feet near pass
  levels.

Weekend - an old indian word for 2-3 days of horrible weather following or preceding 5 days of beautiful sunshine

Bad Habit said:
Weekend - an old indian word for 2-3 days of horrible weather following or preceding 5 days of beautiful sunshine
:)

Break in the storm midday, another 1.5 gallons through the big snowblower, and the Lady shoveled a foot off the deck and stairs and walkway. Aren't Sunday's grand?

Boy, things are upside down. We are having another day in the 60s here. No snow to be seen. Took a nice walk and didn't really need a jacket. You and the Lady have my sympathies. I have to be careful though. What you guys have we usually catch a few days later.

I knew I should keep my mouth shut. New record in the state today- earliest tornadoes ever. Thunderstorms, hail, crazy stuff. It's March for Pete's sake! And now they are predicting 3-5 inches of snow for the weekend.

ski3pin said:

Meteorological Spring

Mr 3Pin, that's a vicious rumor and well founded. I suspect there could be a MarkBC sighting somewhere close to the Az/Mexican border later today.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Mr 3Pin, that's a vicious rumor and well founded. I suspect there could be a MarkBC sighting somewhere close to the Az/Mexican border later today.
Rumor has it the Sagebrush clan - complete with a pair of lap dogs - are right there with him!

Enjoy the sun and warmth our friends! :)

Mr. Sage, we are expecting some of your great bird photography of these migratory snowbirds.

Yesterday it warmed up to 34° Only 6 inches of overnight snow to blow. Today it is warm and sunny. I'll fill up the snowblower gas can during my lunch break today.

I saw a pair of Mr. & Mrs. Bluebird checking out my BB box yesterday in Grass Valley. The Missus was sitting on the fence while Mister stuck his head inside, taking measure of the domicile.

Around the house several "family's" have moved into the houses I build.
House Ren, Oak Titmouse,and Chichadee .
Around our area we have Mallards nesting,Red Shouldered and Red Tail Hawks and Owls nesting
It's great on our morning walk to view these critters.
Yesterday in the "winter" pond there was an Egret foraging while two Red Shouldered Hawks watched the Coots
swimming around. I think they were looking for a quick meal.
Happy spring.
Frank

Ah, our weather service forecasters are talking "atmospheric river" once again..............................

".EXTENDED DISCUSSION (Wednesday THROUGH Saturday)
The main concern for this forecast period is making of an
atmospheric river event with strong winds, heavy rain, and heavy
snow for the mountains for the end of the week and into next
weekend.

The influence of an upper level ridge will diminish as a
longwave trough approaches the region from the northwest. A series
of disturbances within the slow moving main trough will rotate
through the region late in the week and into the weekend. Model
forecasts have been consistent to bringing this larger areal
disturbance southward late this coming week and lasting into the
weekend. The upper flow pattern has a look of a winter type system
that could bring significant rain amounts to the valley and heavy