Meteorological Spring

Andy....those pics reminded me of several scenes in the movie "Fargo"...., no not the wood chipper scene but the one out on the highway.

Rain, wind, cold and snowy here-been trying to clean and dry the truck/camper out and get out of here, but where to go that it is not raining. Anywhere you go here you hear the same thing "When will it stop". I was in the check out line at Ace today, two old desert rats (sort of like me :p ) in front of me-all they could talk about was where to go and not get stuck. They say next week end -maybe no rain, but I bet there will allot of folks heading out no matter what and getting their rigs buried in the mud or snow.

Smoke

Known as a sucker hole in the PNW, Lulls you into a false sense of springtime...

Even though we're two months into "spring", and it's been too warm for snow down in Bend for several weeks... it's still piling up in the Cascades. In fact, at ski areas the snow is about the deepest it's been all snow season.
Hitting the maximum snow-depth in late April isn't unusual (in Oregon, at least). The warmer air has a greater moisture capacity than the colder air of real winter -- the storms are wetter -- so even though the snow-line is at a higher elevation, where it is cold enough to snow it's getting more snow than back in "winter".

Local TV weather last night showed Mt Bachelor ski area reporting a base depth of 135 inches and at Timberline ski area on Mt. Hood they reported 199 inches.

Back in the '80s, when I had a downhill season pass, Mt. Bachelor ski area would sometime be open into July. But now they usually close by the end of May. Even if/when there's plenty of snow there aren't enough customers to make it profitable enough. People have hit the mountain bike trails, golf courses, etc, and forget about skiing.

Wet April helps Oregon’s snowpack
By Stephen Hamway, The Bulletin, Published May 1, 2017

"A historically wet winter helped restore Oregon’s snowpack after several years of below-average totals. However, it could have been for naught without a cold and damp April across the state.

As of Friday, each of Ore­gon’s 12 water basins was above its 30-year median for snow-water equivalent — a measure for how much water is present in snowpack — by at least 14 percent, based on data from the Natural Resources Conservation Service. All but one, including the Deschutes/Crooked River basin, are at least 35 percent above normal. The John Day basin led the way, with nearly double its median snow-water equivalent as of Friday....
...."

I guess I'd forgotten just how droughty 2015 was, but looking at the graphic (from The Bend Bulletin) below -- yikes! :eek:

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Several firsts today in/for Central Oregon:
  1. First day of the year with a temperature 70°F
  2. First day of the year with a temperature ≥80°F (high of 82° at the NWS weather station at RDM)
  3. First day of the year that I wore a short-sleeve shirt around town without bringing long-sleeve as backup
  4. First day of the year that I wore sandals around town
Full-on spring -- the sort of weather that is expected in spring most places but which we hadn't seen yet this season.
Forecast is for warmer tomorrow...then a big drop again.

It is in the seventies tonight. Every window in the house is open. The ceiling fan is on. We went directly to summer. Twenty degrees cooler on Saturday predicted.

I, too, had my house windows open today -- they still are and will be (slightly) overnight.
I had the house well-open for the first time this year a few days ago, when the outside temp hit 66°. When the outside is as warm as inside it's a good opportunity to do some air exchange.
Out with the bad air, in with the good.

Inside didn't match the outside until about 11pm so the AC has been getting some use. Its going to be a nice weekend to work on the Jeep.

MarkBC said:
Back in the '80s, when I had a downhill season pass, Mt. Bachelor ski area would sometime be open into July. But now they usually close by the end of May. Even if/when there's plenty of snow there aren't enough customers to make it profitable enough. People have hit the mountain bike trails, golf courses, etc, and forget about skiing.
I guess Mt. B read this post and decided, "Why not -- for old times!" ;)

"Mt. Bachelor announces July skiing"
Ski resort will open for three days this summer
(By Joe Ditzler / The Bulletin Published May 15, 2017)

Back
Top Bottom