Mining Rallies (of sorts)

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
Since my focus this year is going to be on mining towns, I was thinking that I would organize some rallies that are only 50% about drinking (down from 90%), and we could spend that other 50% of the time exploring old mining areas. Marc, Dick, and I did this on a loop from Bodie through the Nevada boondocks and had a great time doing it.

Some potential spots (please add more if you have ideas):

1. Ophir, Nevada and surrounding areas

2. Mining country north of Elko, Nevada

3. Various loops in Colorado

4. Granite, Montana and surrounding areas (possibility for early June on this one)

5. Central Idaho mining camps

If you have interest in such trips post up here and we'll see what we can get going.

Im game. Colorado has been calling me back since our last trip. There's a good chance I might be back in CO. in the middle of May.

marc

Attachments

• photo-179.jpg
    photo-179.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 84
Im game. Colorado has been calling me back since our last trip. There's a good chance I might be back in CO. in the middle of May.

marc

Colorado mountains are too high for May exploration. How about August :)

Since my focus this year is going to be on mining towns, I was thinking that I would organize some rallies that are only 50% about drinking (down from 90%), and we could spend that other 50% of the time exploring old mining areas. Marc, Dick, and I did this on a loop from Bodie through the Nevada boondocks and had a great time doing it.

Some potential spots (please add more if you have ideas):

1. Ophir, Nevada and surrounding areas

2. Mining country north of Elko, Nevada

3. Various loops in Colorado

4. Granite, Montana and surrounding areas (possibility for early June on this one)

5. Central Idaho mining camps

If you have interest in such trips post up here and we'll see what we can get going.

DD and Company,

Something like this is right up my alley. I'm immobile for 2012 due to family obligations related to weddings and military deployments, but I do have a couple or three thoughts to toss out there:

The mining area north of Elko includes the Jarbidge area mines. They're very high in elevation (9,000-10,000')and 4-5,000' above the "town" of Jarbidge. Both of the routes to Jarbidge from Elko were closed into July in 2011 due to record snowpack and road washouts from the runoff. The Rio Tinto mines near Mountain City, NV are easily accessed and some large buildings remain there.

The Granite, MT area is a terrific choice. Just last week, western MT reached 110% of normal snowpack, and they regularly get lots of it through April and May. While Granite is only at about 7,200', lots of the surrounding area is 8,500' or above. In mid-July 2011, we were re-routed by snow (stopped in our tracks) at 8,500' and 9,000'. Consider the Quartz Hill mining district, east/southeast of the town of Wise River in the Pioneer Range, for exploring, as the Vipond Park is as spendid of an alpine bench as you'll find anywhere, and it's laced with mines. Just off the bench, down a "OH S#%T" shelf road, lies Canyon Creek Road, with restored/stabilized charcoal kilns, and right down Canyon Creek Rd from there is the smelter community of Glendale, w/ruins of the smelter building and stack.

Turning up Trapper Creek from Glendale brings you to the huge complex of workings of the Hecla Mines. It's my understanding the Hecla Mines draws University of Texas and other traveling undergraduate geology field camp groups each summer. It's a world-class example of skarn mineralization and must be a collector's paradise, and the workings and old buildings are too numerous to mention.

The Birch Creek drainage on the east side of the Pioneers, just south of Melrose, where Canyon Creek/Trapper Creek empties out, is home to the mining town of Ferrell (Fernley?). Last summer I saw a field camp there in July, and I met an elderly consulting geologist mapping the skarn contact trace. A number of old buildings remain there.

The whole of the Pioneers is lightly visited, so disbursed camping options are innumerable.

At the south end of the Pioneers, just off of MT 278, lies Bannack. Bannack is a state park which was founded as the first capital of Montana Territory in 1864. The state park offers a tour of the mill and cyanide plant at Bannack, and the equipment and mill buildings are very well preserved. The whole town is neat, for that matter. If one were to go during Bannack Days (3rd weekend in July annually), there are quite a number of exhibitors present. My favorite of recent years are the Government Land Survey re-enactors, who bring late 19th century transits, chains, and such, and who are a hoot to talk to. They're all modern surveyors who collect the old gear and set up displays at festivals.

Interested parties could enter from I-90 east of Missoula, take a great and scenic 40 mile gravel road drive up Rock Creek canyon to Philipsburg, easily spend a day or two in the Granite/Philipsburg area, another day or two at Vipond Park/Quartz Hill, another day or two at the Hecla Mines, and a day at Bannack. Leaving Bannack headed south for Nevada or California, you can go over Lemhi Pass, where Lewis and Clark crossed the Divide in 1806, have a soak at Sharkey's Hot Springs, part-way down the Idaho side, where the BLM has developed a very nice facility, and then run down US 93 south from Salmon, ID, for a walk-in soak at Gold Bug hot spring, quite possibly the most splendid hot spring in the Lower 48.

Foy

Thats a lot of great info Foy, thanks!

Isn't it kinda embarrassing to us native Westerners that a guy from North Carolina is a such a great source of out-west info?!
tongue.gif

But yes, much-appreciated, Foy! :)

Isn't it kinda embarrassing to us native Westerners that a guy from North Carolina is a such a great source of out-west info?!
tongue.gif

But yes, much-appreciated, Foy! :)

Thanks guys. One of my geology school professors pretty much nailed it back in 1976: "The thing about Foy is he never forgets anything he's seen in the field". These days it's probably more of a curse than a blessing, in that I have no memory for somewhat important things but can take you to the trace of an overthrust fault on the southern slope of McCartney Mountain, north of the Big Hole River, near Block Mountain, Montana, where a spectacular fault breccia is in outcrop, with silicified, slickensided hand specimens littering an area of about a quarter-acre.

OK, back to work.

Foy

marc

You have some dates for May? Maybe we could do a loop through Capital Reef on your way there or back.

but can take you to the trace of an overthrust fault on the southern slope of McCartney Mountain, north of the Big Hole River, near Block Mountain, Montana, where a spectacular fault breccia is in outcrop, with silicified, slickensided hand specimens littering an area of about a quarter-acre.

Foy

I was just thinking about that :cool:

You have some dates for May? Maybe we could do a loop through Capital Reef on your way there or back.

Am going to try and make Expo for a couple of days. With that said, and work permitting, I plan on being in Flagstaff around May 17/18 and home by the 26th. Colorado might have to waite.

marc

Am going to try and make Expo for a couple of days. With that said, and work permitting, I plan on being in Flagstaff around May 17/18 and home by the 26th. Colorado might have to waite.

marc

Marc,

I'm leaving Sacramento on the 14th, going to spend couple days around the Grand Canyon, then down to Expo.
See you there with a fresh bottle of G.J. I think you have my cell number,
if not P.M. me and I'll give it to you. I have yours, call me when you hit O.X.

Marc,

I'm leaving Sacramento on the 14th, going to spend couple days around the Grand Canyon, then down to Expo.
See you there with a fresh bottle of G.J. I think you have my cell number,
if not P.M. me and I'll give it to you. I have yours, call me when you hit O.X.

Sounds good Bob. I have a new flavor I'm going to bring that I like even better than GJ. See ya then.

Back
Top Bottom