mounting a shovel

doc

Advanced Member
Hello everyone!

We recently ordered our first FWC (2016 Grandby) and could not be more excited about it. It's been wonderful reading about everyones travels, modifications, and general experiences on here. Now it's time I ask for some help on a specific topic:

Does anyone have any experience with mounting an axe/shovel set-up directly to the back of the FWC? Any thoughts on this?

The product I had in mind was the aluminess shovel & axe mount, though I mainly want the shovel. The axe I could do without (but do not mind having either).

Thanks!

Attachments

• Expedition-Kit-shovel-axe.jpg
    Expedition-Kit-shovel-axe.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 828
Stalking Light said:
There are AC outlets available inside the camper when hooked to shore power, at least on my Eagle.

I also have AC outlets for my inverter. Some folks hook things up so the same outlets are used by both, but that's beyond my skill level.
I carry two military entrenching tools & a Fisker splitting axe. The e-tools stow almost anywhere & the Fisker goes under the back seat in a Du-Ha. I have a 2013 Chevy 3500 crew cab with a Grandby.

Should be able to use the same mounting points as the spare fuel can carrier mounts use. Assuming those are not optional.

That aluminess setup is nice... I wonder if anyone else makes one... maybe without the axe and shovel as I already have them? I am waiting on my RakAttach swing away receiver and that would be a perfect place for one?

LookyLou said:
.... goes under the back seat in a Du-Ha.
X2 on the Du-Ha.
In addition to axe, shovel and saw that thing holds a long list of stuff that would normally be in the camper.
I prefer a clean unencumbered exterior....think thieves, rust and road grime.

I like the shovel on the outside for quick access and prefer a full size tool.
I used a couple of Quick Fist brackets and mounted them using #10 stainless bolts and nyloc nuts.
I used 1/2" diameter nylon spacers cut to length to prevent compressing the camper wall.
Drill a hole large enough on the inside to insert the spacer and cover with a fender washer to cover the hole and distribute the load. Use sealer under the Quick Fist.
I use a shovel that no one wants to steal, carry a folding shovel in the truck in case I have help when digging out and to provide a backup.

Attachments

• Shovel mount.jpg
    Shovel mount.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 910
I like the Quick Fist that dsrtrat mentions above. Why spend a ton of money on an expensive bracket to secure a $10.00 shovel? Personally, I carry a military surplus trenching tool that folds up nicely, is light and was inexpensive.

Since day 1,I have carried my shovel outside.
I just drilled a hole in the handle and place it over the door "stop/holder".
Than use a short "bungie"to keep in from moving around.
Oh,and attached small pieces of "mole skin" to the camper area where the shovel can rub.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN0005_2.jpg
    DSCN0005_2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 721
I wasn't quite ready to start drilling holes in my new Hawk yet, so I fashioned a mount out of plywood and pvc pipe that bolts to the jack mounts when I'm on the road. Works well!

IMG_8627.JPG

RnK said:
I wasn't quite ready to start drilling holes in my new Hawk yet, so I fashioned a mount out of plywood and pvc pipe that bolts to the jack mounts when I'm on the road. Works well!

attachicon.gif
IMG_8627.JPG
I like that idea! Nice step too. Did you make that as well?

RnK said:

attachicon.gif
IMG_8627.JPG
I agree with the other comments about this. Well done. I also think I am going to come up with a semi-permanent option before I go drilling permanent holes! Now, if only the camper would arrive early...

takesiteasy

I like that idea! Nice step too. Did you make that as well?
No, sadly, not skilled enough with metalwork. I had a local welder fabricate it for me.

Old thread I know, but I was curious if anybody knew the brand of this shovel holder that FWC has installed on one of their showroom campers? If not, I suppose a quick call to the factory is in order. It looks like it's mounted to the jack bracket and even locks the shovel & axe. ThxScreenshot_20181113-203418_Chrome.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom