My First FWC... How many custom "Shell" builds are there?

So Cal Adventurer

Hey All

New guy here... Kevin in San Diego. Been camping and exploring my whole life.

Picking up my first FWC soon and looking for ideas...

Current Setup:
2014 Tundra 4x4
Leer Camper Shell
Decked Storage / Bed
Dual Batteries
ARB Fridge
Solar
Bla Bla Bla

I am pretty set on the "Hawk Shell" and building it up myself, just want to make sure this wont e complicated due to something i am missing.

The day i bought my truck, i tore the rear seats out, built a wooden platform, installed huge AUX battery, 2000 watt inverter, fridge, solar, etc... Did the work myself.

I am now looking into transferring most of that stuff over to a Hawk FWC and regaining at least half of my rear seating.

The transferring of what i have and the wiring and such shouldnt be that hard.

What i am looking for information on is STORAGE. What is everyone doing for storage on their builds?

Also, transferring the solar. I have (2) 100watt renogy panels on my campershell now.

I see FWC says "wire for solar" but what exactly does that mean? Do they have a wire running from the plug on the roof to the battery? Add controller and go?

Also, looking for a front dinette option with a swivel table, the one i saw was somewhere on this page and a custom build and very nice. Any more info on these setups?

Basically, any info or links to builds that folks are willing to share would be awesome!

I love the building as much as the using! :)

Thank you very much
Kevin in San Diego!

Welcome to WTW and congrats on deciding on a camper.

I think you should leave your battery system where it is. You can wire up the camper to the batteries fairly easy and still have them if you need to take the camper off the truck.

There are lots of custom builds and when you talk to FWC you can ask if they are willing to do a custom build. I've read they are more reluctant to do so lately. Not sure why.

My Finch has a couch on the drivers side but not much else. It comes in pretty handy and I've dialed in how I load my camper with camp gear.

Tons of info here on WTW.

ETAV8R said:

I think you should leave your battery system where it is. You can wire up the camper to the batteries fairly easy and still have them if you need to take the camper off the truck.

There are lots of custom builds and when you talk to FWC you can ask if they are willing to do a custom build. I've read they are more reluctant to do so lately. Not sure why.

My Finch has a couch on the drivers side but not much else. It comes in pretty handy and I've dialed in how I load my camper with camp gear.

I'm not so sure about having batteries in the cab with you but that's how I read the OP's post. If it's somewhere else, that's fine but he still has to wire it to the camper. I might move it myself into the camper as it'll probably stay warmer, etc.

Speaking of batteries and keeping them warm. If I ever tear into my counter again, I'm insulating the heck out of the water storage. Plan on how you will access everything if it breaks/cracks/etc.

ETAV8R said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, i keep going back and forth on the batteries and electrical system.

They were ADAMANT they will NOT do a Flatbed "Shell" :(

I will build the next best thing! :)

Camper will never come off of truck. Current one has been on there over 2 years. I have a little commuter car.

kmcintyre said:
I'm not so sure about having batteries in the cab with you but that's how I read the OP's post. If it's somewhere else, that's fine but he still has to wire it to the camper. I might move it myself into the camper as it'll probably stay warmer, etc.
Thanks, its a Odyseey PC2150. AGM, no gasses released. Safe for cab install. Several newer vehicles have them in cab.

Standard lead battery, definitely no go inside the cab

I have an Eagle shell. Mine was bought used with rollover couch, stove, furnace. Can't say I've felt a need to build it further other than adding a truck fridge to the floor and solar to support it. I like the open space of the shell vs a built camper. Lighter weight is a big plus as well.

There is storage under the bed and I use bags and large Plano gear boxes for the rest.

kmcintyre said:
Speaking of batteries and keeping them warm. If I ever tear into my counter again, I'm insulating the heck out of the water storage. Plan on how you will access everything if it breaks/cracks/etc.
Thanks, yeah, that's the plan to build for easy access for maintenance and such. Learned that the hardway long ago! :)

So Cal Adventurer said:
Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, i keep going back and forth on the batteries and electrical system.

Camper will never come off of truck. Current one has been on there over 2 years. I have a little commuter car.
If you are interested in a Flat Bed camper try Marty at ATC.
They aren't shy about custom work and have built flat bed campers.
Welcome to the group.
Frank

So Cal Adventurer said:
. . . What i am looking for information on is STORAGE. What is everyone doing for storage on their builds?
. . . Basically, any info or links to builds that folks are willing to share would be awesome!
My signature has my build thread, which I should update since I have done more work on the camper.

So Cal Adventurer said:

Camper will never come off of truck. Current one has been on there over 2 years.
With all the space a flatbed camper has inside to put batteries, a furnace, water tank and cabinets while still having so much storage room left over, sounds like you are the perfect candidate for one. Like Casa Escarlata Robles Too said, talk to Marty at ATC. You can have whatever you want from them and their after sales service is #1.

Kevin - Four Wheel is having a customer rally at Ocotillo Wells this weekend. Come out and see how we all have "made storage" when there isn't any.

We do a "walk- around" to see each others rigs and you will see lots of storage ideas.

Click on the link below my signature to review my ideas. Scroll down to the "Misc" section in the first post to view them or click on my picture and go to my gallery and look under storage.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
If you are interested in a Flat Bed camper try Marty at ATC.
They aren't shy about custom work and have built flat bed campers.
Welcome to the group.
Frank
Thank you

RC Pilot Jim said:
Kevin - Four Wheel is having a customer rally at Ocotillo Wells this weekend. Come out and see how we all have "made storage" when there isn't any.

We do a "walk- around" to see each others rigs and you will see lots of storage ideas.

Click on the link below my signature to review my ideas. Scroll down to the "Misc" section in the first post to view them or click on my picture and go to my gallery and look under storage.
Thank you, i plan on being there Friday mid day! :)

Welcome to WTW. Several of us have done custom builds to shells. I thought I was going to do a front dinette. After the wife and I visited FWC in Woodland and got inside both the front and side dinettes I did another side dinette. Wife did not like how little room to stand there was in the front dinette. But to each his own that is why there are both dinettes.

You can find a list of custom builds here. Storage was a priority when I did the build.

This is a link to my 2013 shell build.

Video of the inside of my 2013 Hawk.

Video of the inside of my 2002 Hawk I changed from a side couch to a side dinette.

Thanks Bill

Ive book marked several of your builds! Awesome work!

Where do you get those folding seat brackets?

Thanks! I will bookmark the build thread too!

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom