My new HAWK!

Advmoto18

One must savior the joy when a plan comes together!

Long story short, well not so short....

Last October, I rode my BMW R1200GSA to the inagurual Overland Expo-East ouside of Asheville, NC. Being a Marine in a different stage of life at 60 years, sleeping on the ground or in a tent is anything but new. But, I'd like to get the wife involved in my explorations/adventures. She was not a Marine and sleeping in a tent, on the ground, is a non-starter.

Anyway, I ran into Tom and was shown the FWC models on display. FWC has a near non-existant prescence in the South. Needless to say, I was very impressed with the product and more so the people in the FWC family. Tom introduced me to Sean, a FWC dealer from WI. Over the better part of a day, Sean explained the finer details of the FWC lineup. That night, over a bottle of Knob Creek Rye, I told Sean I would buy a Hawk.

Sean and I stayed in touch. Sean patiently answered every question and offered sage advice on options. I placed my order around Thanksgiving 2014. Sean and I set a 4/14/2015 install date.

The camper arrived at Sean's on 4/10. I left NC early Monday morning (4/13) and drove 15 hours to Sean's place in WI. We spent most of Tuesday talking and sharing stories turning a 4 hour install into nearly 6! Sean graciously invited me to spend the night in my Hawk on his property; which I did.

At 5.30AM the next morning, I packed up the Hawk and Sean met me with a big cup of fresh brewd coffee. We vowed to stay in touch and meet up this summer. Then Sean jumped on his BMW motorcycle and was off to milk his cows and I headed back to NC.

Sean and Diana are great people who happen to be a FWC dealer.

Now for my Hawk...
IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

First big trip will be to OX-West in May.

THANKS Sean/Diana and to all the folks at FWC who helped with my purchase!

I should mention, I saw Tom's Aluminess bumper on his Tacoma at OX-East. I called the company and have an Aluminess rear bumper inbound. The bumper has a spare tire carrier which will allow me to tote a 295/70x16 spare and jerry can rack for 3 Scepter 20L water cans.

Bill

Thanks!

Something else Sean mentioned and I utilized, a FWC use that is seldom discussed.

Due to road construction, the return trip home took quite a few extra hours. As such, passing Asheville, NC at around 10PM I decided I needed some sleep. It was raining buckets and Garmin led me to the nearest Walmart SuperCenter parking lot. Sean mentioned when traveling solo, he would on ocassion leave the top down and setup the front dinette seating for sleeping. And that is what I did. I was quite surprised at the ease of moving around inside the Hawk with the top down. I am 5'10". While I could not stand erect, there was plenty of room to move around inside the Hawk.

And with the rain and top providing a tin roof-like sound, you want to talk about some serious sleeping conditions!

I like the new sink. I'm sure the wife will be much happier. Amazing how many of us decide while we can still sleep on the ground, we just no longer wish to.

craig333 said:
Amazing how many of us decide while we can still sleep on the ground, we just no longer wish to.
How true!

I'm still not giving up on motorcycle camping. My son and I will be riding the ID and WA Backcountry Routes after the BMW MOA Rally in Billings in late July. I'm sure we will welcome getting back to the Hawk in Billings after sleeping on the ground for 2+ weeks!

Thx for the comment Craig!

craig333 said:
I like the new sink.
I was very impressed with the kitchen setup. Having the flush cooktop will prevent me from knocking pots off the burner and making a mess. The faucet spigot is the pull version. Long enough so you can wash your head in the sink.

Being kind of clumsy I tend to knock a lot of stuff over. Why I like to keep a roll of paper towels handy.

super doody said:
Just wondering why you went with flush mount stove and not the sink?
Less likely to knock things off the stove causing a spill/mess. In the closed position, increases flush/flat counterspace. Same for sink. I also selected the pullout facuet.

Back
Top Bottom