My thoughts on Overland Journals FWC article

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
For the most part we all know FWC makes a pretty good product and personally I am a fan and subscriber of Overland Journal. However, when you have a magazine that writes about gear from companies who are also advertisers in that publication, reality is there is likely going to be some bias or the magazine is going to have trouble generating the necessary revenue to keep it going.

So OJ and magazines like it are walking a thin line. I get it. However, I thought I'd have a little "keepin it real" post here to correct what I feel was just a bit of bias in this months article about Jack Dykinga's FWC.

Statements made in the article:

"Good Counter Space"
Not so much. In a camper as small as a FWC (especially the Tacoma size one), space should be optimized to the greatest degree possible. IMO Four Wheel Camper should have gone to flush mount appliances (or at least have the option for them) a long time ago. As it is now I would say a more accurate statement would be "Counter space is limited, and the use of non-recessed appliances without flush mount lids further limits that space".

There's plenty of sitting room for two, a decent table that pops into place with a removable post
It's true 2 people can sit side by side. It's not true that two people and the dreadfully bad FWC table can exist comfortably in the available space. And we all know the table sucks. We have said it a thousand times on this forum, and even demonstrated several very clever (and actually functional) table designs built by members. Why FWC still makes that piece of junk is beyond me. And I'm sure it was obvious to the author of the article as well. Later in the article we read that Jack is considering a flip down work space attached to the cabinet. Which is a clue to what should have been done a long time ago - the table should attach to the cabinet or the wall at the front of the camper.

The troublesome sliding cabinet panels have been replaced with proper hinged doors
Nice idea in theory but fail in application. The hinged doors should have had secure latches and/or a lip at the bottom of the cabinet inside the door to prevent heavy items from banging up agains the door. Off road with these "new and improved" cabinets are akin to a "Yard Sale" in skiing.

How well the space is used
Yes and no. For the most part space is optimized. But a camper company that has been building these campers for decades should have come up with more innovations by now. The storage under the couch is difficult to access while you are in the camper. Getting the table out of this space with two people in the camper is virtually a game of twister. There should be optional access at the front of the cabinet so you can access it while people or stuff is on the couch. And the "table" shouldn't be in there at all but that is the only place it fits (table should be a fold up wall mount or slide out of the cabinet like a cutting board).

Finally, I find it a curious that the only "complaints" about the camper were a handful of issues that had already been changed by FWC, but are still being utilized by ATC.

I'm in total agreement with Aaron but considering my new venture it's hard to appear or even be unbiased. So I'll refrain from commenting on the competition and limit my remarks to the OJ.

With the exception of some of the trailers, campers and vehicles 95 +/- % of the products advertised in the OJ are made in China. As I said in a previous post that in it's self isn't evil but what I do object to is the attempt to make these items appear not to be Chinese. Further they seem to be promoting a life style that is impossible to attain unless your Donald Trump or Bill Gates. Rarely do they have in depth articles about affordable gear, local areas or common sense vehicles. C'mon how many of us carry a $200 pocket knife in our A8 while crossing the Outback let alone the Mojave? Look I do understand that the OJ is in business to make money. And Scott Brady certainly knows how to do that. But when you claim you to be an advocate, be an advocate and not a shill.

I will comment on All Terrain Campers. ATC continues to build a specific way utilizing well proven methods and products that are considerably more expensive but would compromise build quality if changed. Specifically, to mention three; the 3 piece roof gabled system, exterior storm flaps and 16,000 BTU furnace. The camper is still built by hand, by the owners, one at a time. Yes there is room for improvement but not because they sacrifice cost over quality.

C'mon how many of us carry a $200 pocket knife in our A8 while crossing the Outback let alone the Mojave?

Says the guy with the fancy dutch oven :oops:

DD, you missed the little post at the lower left corner of Page 5

"Our promise to you
NO COMPROMISE
We carefully screen all contributions to ensure
they are independent and impartial. We
never have and never will accept advertorial,
and we do not allow advertising to influence
our product or destination reviews.
YOU HAVE OUR WORD"

But, I agree with you...

DD, you missed the little post at the lower left corner of Page 5

"Our promise to you
NO COMPROMISE
We carefully screen all contributions to ensure
they are independent and impartial. We
never have and never will accept advertorial,
and we do not allow advertising to influence
our product or destination reviews.
YOU HAVE OUR WORD"

But, I agree with you...

Well the table comment gave them away :D Plus calling those cabinet doors better than the sliding ones makes me wonder if these guys have really used these campers much.

The picture of Dykinga on page 103 using the lap top speaks volumes. Hey it's on a Tacoma. It's small. It is what it is and that isn't a bad thing. Life is full of compromises. Angelina turned me down. I live with it.

You gotta be kidding. I've found the sliding doors to be nothing but trouble. Glad they got rid of them.

I too have a subscription to OJ but I hardly consider it a authoritative source on things overlandish (is that a word?).

You gotta be kidding. I've found the sliding doors to be nothing but trouble. Glad they got rid of them.

Your cabinet doors don't fly open all the time? My pots, pans, canned food etc were always on the floor after even moderate bumpy terrain. The cabinet on the wall above the couch - that didn't work at all with the hinged door - would fly open if even looked at funny.

The cabinets in my 2004 FWC were much more functional than the cabinets in my 2008 FWC.

When I first added the overlay doors to our 2006 Eagle one of the main criteria was safety latches. I can't believe FWC didn't add them. If you have these doors and they don't stay closed there are many options available to remedy the problem such as barrel bolts, bungees, or even better specialized hardware of the type Casita uses in their trailers. Just takes a little work is all.

I have a very high level respect for Jonathan Hanson, and I find the fact that he is leaving OJ interesting, but I will save that conversation for the campfire.

I will say that the FWC article did read something like an advertorial. This is by no means the first article like it, the SLEE article comes to mind, although I did enjoy reading it. With my subscription paid through 2017, I hope that OJ will not be featuring a lot more of these advertorials in the future.

I'm not sure who put the article together ?

Jonathan ? Jack ? Tom ? All ??

A few months back Jack e-mailed me and said he was meeting with Jonathan for a photo shoot regarding putting a small camper on a 4 cyclinder Tacoma and the results of how the truck was doing with the combination. I forwarded the e-mail over to Tom and Tom knew nothing about the story coming at the time. But obviously he was excited.

Did they all talk after that about what to write?

I have no idea?

I sorta forgot about it until we got our magazines.

Jack Dykinga is a user of our campers and has been for many, many years. When I first met him he had a Ranger II on an older Tacoma. Then he had a Hawk on a Tundra. Then we built him a Kestrel for his Tundra (or vice versa, not sure on the order of those campers). And then he sold both, got a new Tacoma, and Tom tweaked an Eagle Model to best suit his needs.

He doesn't use the camper like most of our customers.

He uses it for work.

It is a tool for him.

Most years he logs 100 - 140 nights a year in the camper.

He is a big guy too (tall).

How he fits in a small Tacoma and a smaller Eagle Model beats me ?

I would think he would be cramped?

But it is exactly what he wanted and it works for him.

Will it work for everyone ? No, probably not.

But he seems to like the campers for his line of work, where he goes, better gas mileage, etc. etc.

I can't comment on the magazine and what they do or how they write it.

Tom deals with that stuff.

But if a magazine writes negative stories about their advertisers, do you think any of those companies are going to keep advertising? Probably not.

I'm NOT saying it is good or bad. I have no interest in the magazine business, what they do, or how they do it.

I'm just saying my PERSONAL thoughts.

Not from anyone but me.

If you all were running a small business and one of the trade magazines wrote negative articles, would you keep advertising with them ?

Yes, it is a fine line.

And I don't know what the magic answer is for it.

And no, i'm not going out to buy a new $ 180 pocket knike or a Land Rover.

But I do like reading the articles.

Just take it all with a grain of salt ?

(is that the right way to say that?)

:(

-------------------------------------

addition:

If you don't like something, why do you read it ?

I don't like all of the stories.

The ones I don't like, I just don't read ?

(ex: For me it is the fancy food articles. Why would you want to cook a gormet meal while out camping? I would be happier with a $ 6.00 carne asada burrito from Robertos in San Diego or heat up a can of chili. But that is me. Others like good food.)

It doesn't make them bad articles just because I don't like them.

I try and focus more on the positives and the things that I do find interesting when reading a magazine or the forums. Look for something I can learn from.

I have also found it easy to jump on the band wagon when it comes to finding the negative things about something. I think it is human nature. I also struggle with this. I need to continue to tell myself speak well and give praise. Can I always do it? No. Do I slip from time to time? Yes. But I keep trying to stay in the positive direction and not the negative.

I think most people want to read postive articles.

To read positive threads.

Maybe i'm wrong or way off.

OK, I will stop rambling.

I'm with you Stan, that's just what my first couple sentences detailed.

Now about that table. I bet you a dollar that you guys have the technology to build a better one :)

You know I can't agrue the table.

:)

It is what it is.

:(

Maybe someday . . . keep the faith !

I will bring it up again in the next meeting.

I could use that buck for a cup of coffee.

But somehow I have a feeling I will be mailing you a buck.

Now about that table. I bet you a dollar that you guys have the technology to build a better one :)

just curious what this is ?

:oops:

. . . the 3 piece roof gabled system

The table, yeah I think we all agree that needs a reworking. The sliding cabinets I found stop sliding very shortly, the slightest gunk gets in there and they might as well be glued shut.

I too have a subscription to OJ but I hardly consider it a authoritative source on things overlandish (is that a word?).

I have actually done, and been doing for over 30 years, a lot of severe explorations that the OJ alludes to. My gear looks a lot different than what OJ is flogging. I carry a minimum of kitchen, fridge and $200 pocket knives,...... In fact in my Africa travels, I simply didn't even have an icebox. You don't need it. What I did need was 3 spare tires, tubes spare wheel bearing, belts, fuel pump, u-joints, 8 jerry cans, 40 gallons of water, full set of tools, enough to disassemble an engine or trans if need be, repair it and reassemble (which I have done for others on occasion in the back country). Basically, I look at all those expensive tables, chairs, etc. And I think if all the wasted space that could be used for what you really need. Then I look at those ridiculous roof tops tents, like $3,000 and still flap in the wind, that is if they even hold up to some of the winds I have seen. I just could go on and on about the silly, super expensive, clothing made to look like military and Dr. Livingston costumes. I'll take my Carrharts over that sissy stuff any day. The last issue's article of $900 kitchen boxes had me in stitches! And made of wood, you can't even leave it in the rain! I throw my stove, pots, pans and dishes from the thrift store into my blue Rubbermaid box ($7) and you know what? It is frickin' waterproof!

I agree with Craig, the sliding covers were the worst. However, I replaced ours with hinged doors before FWC made the switch. So I have not experienced the problems DD had with his. Sounds to me like it is more of a problem with the latch system that FWC uses than of the type of door. It should be an easy switch to a better latch system if that is the case.

I have actually done, and been doing for over 30 years, a lot of severe explorations that the OJ alludes to. My gear looks a lot different than what OJ is flogging. I carry a minimum of kitchen, fridge and $200 pocket knives,...... In fact in my Africa travels, I simply didn't even have an icebox. You don't need it. What I did need was 3 spare tires, tubes spare wheel bearing, belts, fuel pump, u-joints, 8 jerry cans, 40 gallons of water, full set of tools, enough to disassemble an engine or trans if need be, repair it and reassemble (which I have done for others on occasion in the back country). Basically, I look at all those expensive tables, chairs, etc. And I think if all the wasted space that could be used for what you really need. Then I look at those ridiculous roof tops tents, like $3,000 and still flap in the wind, that is if they even hold up to some of the winds I have seen. I just could go on and on about the silly, super expensive, clothing made to look like military and Dr. Livingston costumes. I'll take my Carrharts over that sissy stuff any day. The last issue's article of $900 kitchen boxes had me in stitches! And made of wood, you can't even leave it in the rain! I throw my stove, pots, pans and dishes from the thrift store into my blue Rubbermaid box ($7) and you know what? It is frickin' waterproof!

Hit the nail right on the head with that commentary Gene.

Kudos,

Cort

DD, I love it. Thanks for posting this. A while back, hard questions were being brought to the forefront on Expedition Portal about the cost of some of the options offered by Eartroamer. When the posts started getting a little heated I was personally PM'd by some of the moderators to why my posts had been locked. It was also funny that anytime something negative was being said about ER somebody from Expo. came to their defense while ER Bill stayed in the backround. Very interesting.

marc

Back
Top Bottom