My thoughts on Overland Journals FWC article

I agree with Craig, the sliding covers were the worst. However, I replaced ours with hinged doors before FWC made the switch. So I have not experienced the problems DD had with his. Sounds to me like it is more of a problem with the latch system that FWC uses than of the type of door. It should be an easy switch to a better latch system if that is the case.

I would certainly agree that a properly implemented hinged door would be superior in most locations. Although the long, short cabinet above the couch - I think a slider makes more sense there.

It should be an easy switch to a better latch system if that is the case.

Seems odd that the users are having to pursue this though. Sure nice latches cost a bit more but when you're spending the kind of money new campers cost it would be nice if good latches were factory integrated even if the price was a bit more (the percentage in comparison to the total camper cost is rather small for something that has the potential to be rather frustrating).

I would certainly agree that a properly implemented hinged door would be superior in most locations. Although the long, short cabinet above the couch - I think a slider makes more sense there.

DD, we added two fold down doors with mag latches and safety travel latches at that location, added usable space and made access much better then the sliders.

DD, we added two fold down doors with mag latches and safety travel latches at that location, added usable space and made access much better then the sliders.

DLN,

I have the hinged doors on my cabinet in my Hawk. Could you please post a link or a picture of your travel latches? I want to beef mine up.

I use a combinations of bungees etc. to keep the hinged doors on the cabinet from coming open....but the doors on the cabinet on the passenger side can and do come open at times. I too have learned to only keep light weight items in that small cabinet.

sled,
I've got to find the photos amongst all the clutter in my picture files but will try to post in the next few days. oh, and sorry the the hijack here all.

Thanks DLN.

I subscribe to hunting magazines, ATV magazines, gun magazines, archery magazines, 4X4 magazines etc.

They all do reviews on equipment.....and it always seems they don't have much bad to say about any brand of merchandise, precisely for the reason you guys have mentioned. They don't want to step on the toes of advertisers or future advertisers.

I've learned to read the reviews with a "grain of salt".

I have to say I agree with all of you on the discussion of the original (freestanding) table. It wasn't too useful and always seemed to be in the way.

I had the dinette conversion done on my Hawk and now I just love the table. I can go in the camper and sit down at a table and be able to see the view out of the big window now.....makes all the difference in the world to me.

I've only seen one issue of OJ and I've been to their web site a couple of times. What I've seen is a very nice magazine, nice layouts, good photography, interesting themes. But I'm not their target audience. My pots and pans are from Walmart and my bowls and dishes are from Target. In OJ's defence they are a business, the sole purpose of which is to make money. They just won't get mine.
I feel kind of bad about my FWC. With over 40K miles on my camper I've had no problems with the cabinets, 3 way refer, electrical or any other systems. But I have to agree the table is a POS.

Mike

All of my cabinets in my Hallmark have a factory installed recessed spring loaded latch system. The overhead storage cabinets are equipped with a vertical sliding door, similar to a roll top desk. I'm not sure why people are having so many problems with keeping the cabinets closed. Something just doesn't sound right that people have to retrofit some after market latch system i.e. bungee cords, clips, even cam straps, in order to keep things where they belong, especially when dropping this kind of cash. Sure, my cabinets may be a mess after traveling some of the roads I do in order to get to my destination, but never have I had a cabinet latch fail, or a cabinet fly open during my travels, nor can I see how they could. If the manufacturers are not out there traveling similar roads as their customers, in order to test some of the things discussed on this and other forums (cabinets flying open, tables not being satisfactory, various types of leaks etc.) on this and other forums, I see solutions taking longer than they should. After all, customers dealing with my business are my sharpest critics and yes, I listen intently when I haven't lived up to their expectations and make immediate changes in order to do so.

I hate to keep touting my Hallmark Milner LX, but this is my third summer enjoying my travels with this camper and I have had zero issues with my camper and have only spent my time enjoying it, not retrofitting or changing anything about the camper. The only thing I did alter this year was the tie down system. I posted that in "What did you do to your Camper" thread.

As for the table in my camper, it is simply a metal pedestal that slides through the dinette floor and mounts into a metal base attached to the camper floor. The top slides over the pedestal with another metal mount attached underneath the table top. I can leave it set up or the table top can be removed and slides into a bracket on the ceiling of the camper for added room during travel. When set up, the table is very sturdy and wont move at all.

This is in no way a critical commentary about any one manufacturer, but I have read so many comments about the things people have had issue with and feel I would be very upset after spending the kind of money we all have.
Maybe I should take and post pictures of the latch systems and table mount system for clarity?

I hope I will not draw any critical remarks, as I am not trying to be the Gadfly here in any way. :D

Good Camping!

Paul

Maybe I should take and post pictures of the latch systems and table mount system for clarity?

Yes, if you would please post up some pictures it would be most appreciated.

I use these in my campers
Easy to see if they are locked or not before travel.

gallery_2406_116_1011316.jpg

gallery_2406_116_822727.jpg

Marc is using the same latching system I was going to install but never got around to it, thanks for posting Marc you saved me the time of finding the info myself.

As others have said, I think it is shocking that a 15-20k camper does not have cabinet latches that work.

Doing a little customization to your camper I can understand, but using bungee cords because the latches do not work when the camper is used for what it is designed for, not good.

After having all of my pots, pans, etc...end up on the floor several times, I added these latches. They are only about $5 and have solved the problem. This would be a very easy fix for FWC to make as the latches they include are completely ineffective.
Cabinet Latch.png

Whoa. This whole thread was a surprise to me today! I got my issue, but didn't even look at it yet because I was sort of saving it for some downtime. Now that I know it's controversial, guess what I'm reading tonight? It appears sex and scandal does sell. :rolleyes:

Where do you find good latches? I struck out at the home depot and lowes. I'd show you what I did on the cabinet I built myself but I don't want cabinet builders coming to my house to shower shame upon me.

My table is in the garage. Anyone need one?

Thanks for reminding me of tubes. When sixteen plugs won't do the trick a tube usually will.

The OJ report on containers was especially hilarious. I'm not going to spend $400 on a box no matter how good it is.

I actually find the counter space adequate. Maybe I need to become more of a gourmet cook.

Craig, try West Marine on Micron Avenue in Sac. They have an impressive selection. Pricey though. Maybe look at different types there and then see if you can find a better price online.

Jeepers. Don't single out FWC for crappy table design. We're on our 3rd camper and all our table were junk.

All 3 tables were pedestal style and WAY TOO BIG and they hogged/cramped all the interior living space. My routine solution was to replace all of them with a small/medium size hardwood cutting board with a pedestal mount thingie on the bottom. A table that's easy to stow, and just large enough for 2 plates and 2 glasses.

Back
Top Bottom