New FWC Hawk Options - Now vs Later?

Look What I've Caused! Fun Times Fellas. You're All Great People You Know...

"You're all great people you know" x2
Talk about a hijacked thread. Can't we all just get along !

I just finished the 5 hour drive from Woodland with the new camper. Can't wait to dive into it tomorrow and see what it's all about. I've already installed the Iota IQ4 Smart Charger into the converter.

2013-12-23+17.03.41.jpg

Looks good. Number one recommendation, Spend a few days camping before you start modding stuff.

No moding for me for a while. Just the IQ4 so the dual batteries are started off right.

I am going to open it up tomorrow and run the heater for hours to burn any crap out of it. I ran it tonight for a bit and it was nauseating! Also going to flush the water system out too.

Sweet, Congrats.
Whats your opinion of the exterior LED lighting package ?
Whats your initial reaction to the drivability of your truck with that bundle of joy in the back ?
Good move burning out the stink.
If you get a chance some interior photos would be enjoyed by the good folks here at WTW.
and HAVE A HAPPY AND HEALTHY AND CAMPING NEW YEAR!!

Sweet looking Hawk! Congrats!!

As I note you're going to flush the water system, and you appear to have a water heater. Something to keep in mind is that if you get water that has sulphur content, it can react with the metals in the WH to create a really stinky, foul tasting brew. To clean it out, our Airstream manual recommends putting white vinegar in the water tank.

We've managed to pick this up on three trips to DV? I suspect it's the water from the RV park in Beatty.

I'll add more thoughts later today and some picts.

For now here's some thoughts. I got home late last night and got to play with some of the lights. I really like the exterior LED light package with the four down-facing corner lights and the two side shining lights. Both have separate switches in the camper too. The rear facing LED flood lights are INCREDIBLY bright and will come in super handy for any critical tasks behind the camper. In fact they were so bright I actually couldn't turn them on for very long in my residential neighborhood at 10 pm due to the brightness.

As for the drivability of the truck with the camper. Within the first 100 feet of driving it I could tell the camper was on the back due to the swaying. It wasn't bad at all though, but I couldn't imagine my camper on a Tundra. On my way to pick up the camper I stopped and weighed my truck and with a full tank of gas (me out of the truck) and it came in at 7,160. The paperwork FWC gave me says the camper weighs 1,247 lbs, but this doesn't include the second battery I bought when I picked it up. It's right at 1,300 lbs now putting me right around 8,460 without gear and people. I have a gross weight of 9,000 so I still have a bit of weight I can add.

Nice, that flip up lid over the fridge is pretty damn cool. I also notice how much light is allowed in on the new canvas, not so on the older models.

They sure are pretty when thier new! Nice camper BW!

And here I was thinking a shell model for me, I want one pimped out like yours now!

lets see a pic of those stadium lights at nightime?

Ryan...

Does look good. I really that counter top. Mines really starting to look dated. Wonder if its time for a remodel.

Bwht4x4 said:
I couldn't imagine my camper on a Tundra.
My Tundra handles the Hawk very well, but mine has the Firestone bags and E rated tires. I am not sure why you couldn't imagine it. In fact I also have an ATV trailer behind it with my ATV and I am not lacking any power. I am getting 14 MPG with just the truck around town.

Just ran water through the system and hot water tank to clean it out. The hot water heater is awesome! That thing gets HOT!!

@6040 - I'll take a few picts of the LED flood lights and post one of the better ones. My original thought of putting some kind of switch in the cab of the truck to turn them on scares me a little now. If they accidentally turned on when someone was behind you it could be a bad situation!

@idahoron - A Hawk on a Tundra with all of my gear and my buddy's gear towing my ATV trailer for a two week out-of-state hunt seems like it might be a lot. Many of my friends have them and I've seen first hand that loading them up with weight can get a little sketchy. We regularly tow a 21 foot boat with a Tundra and when you hit those brakes you are praying the trailer surge brakes don't fail. If we go any distance with the boat we take my truck.

14 MPG is not bad at all either. My buddy's is lucky to get that unloaded. He has the V8.

Bwht4x4 said:
<Snip> We regularly tow a 21 foot boat with a Tundra and when you hit those brakes you are praying the trailer surge brakes don't fail. If we go any distance with the boat we take my truck.<Snip>
Have you (or the boat owner) considered electric over hydraulic on the trailer. It's cheaper than an accident

I've never seen electric brakes on a boat trailer. I think 99% of boat trailers have surge brakes, but I'm not sure. We fish in the ocean and the salt would do some serious damage to the insides of the electric trailer brake mechanism in short time!

Trailer-Brakes-3.jpg

This is a better boat trailer brake option:
Trailer-Brakes-4.jpg

A lot of our CDory crowd is putting hydraulic disk brakes on the axles, with an electric master cylinder that connects to the brake controller on the truck. These are very effective.

This looks like a CD0ry 25 cruiser. Probably between 7500 and 9000 pounds when loaded for a trip.

Here's the electric/master cylinder. Personally, I will have mine a bit higher when I convert. I don't want water in the electronics.
ElectricHydraulicUnit.sized.jpg

Here's the caliper...
Caliper.sized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom