New FWC Hawk Options - Now vs Later?

Going to Elec/Hyd is a direct conversion with your surge. Remove surge coupler, add new coupler and install the Hydraulic pump. You'll need a controller also like a Prodigy. I'd recommend disks if you don't have them. I converted mine to Elec/Hyd after a couple of years with the surge and would never go back. My jetboat and trailer is a little over 9000lbs and the difference is night and day. I run mine in the salt for halibut and tuna a couple times a year and no problems in 5 years. I'm using a hydrastar system.

As a side note I know a lot of guys that run regular electric brakes on trailers that see only fresh water and they don't have any issues. Saltwater not so much.

Bwht4x4 said:
@idahoron - A Hawk on a Tundra with all of my gear and my buddy's gear towing my ATV trailer for a two week out-of-state hunt seems like it might be a lot. Many of my friends have them and I've seen first hand that loading them up with weight can get a little sketchy. We regularly tow a 21 foot boat with a Tundra and when you hit those brakes you are praying the trailer surge brakes don't fail. If we go any distance with the boat we take my truck.

14 MPG is not bad at all either. My buddy's is lucky to get that unloaded. He has the V8.
I used to have an older 1984 20 foot camp trailer. That thing was heavy with all my gear and everything that the family took. It was close to 6500 pounds. I never had any trouble with towing it at all. I never felt that I was under breaked or under powered.
I have towed my ATV trailer with both of my ATV's and a hawk that is also loaded for hunting. It in no way feels "sketchy" in any way. Power is good, breaking is good without trailer breaks, and the engine holds me back on most hills. I also have a V8 but I used to get 19 mpg before I put the camper on. What year are these Tundra's that your friends have?

@idahoron - My buddy's is a 2010 I believe, but I could be wrong. Ignore me too as I think I'm hypersensitive to the altered handling and braking a vehicle experiences when it's loaded/weighted/towing. I'm sure a Tundra handles a Hawk just fine. I'm just so use to my Ram 2500 and when I jump in someone's truck that is hauling or towing it's a totally different experience for me.

Just got back from the first trip with the family and the new Hawk. We did an overnight trip to Limekiln SP in Big Sur and we had a great time. The weather was incredible and we got one of the primo camp sites. We did a hike up past the other campsites and saw an ATC Ocelot (on a dark colored 1500 Chevy or GMC).

We had our 1.5 year old so we ran the heater all night long (11 hours @ 67 degrees) and still had 12.4 volts in the morning! Everything worked great. The only issue that will be hard to resolve with a small child is the condensation. If it was just my wife and I we'd turn the heater off and open the windows, but the baby needed a heated place to sleep. Plus condensation on a cool night 200 feet from the ocean in a camper or even a tent is always going to be there.

The exterior LED lights on the four corners of the camper were awesome to have. The added plenty of light to work by at night, but didn't blind us or the other campers. The hot water heater worked perfectly as did the furnace. We didn't get a refrig, but the ice box worked perfectly with frozen gel packs. We probably could have gone 3 days with the gel packs in the cool weather we had. I need to make a hitch mounted step to go with our step stool too. To level the truck I had to raise the rear 3 inches and the step from the step stool to the camper was a LOOOOOng one! Fortunately my wife is tall.

IMG_9181.JPG
IMG_9149.JPG

Glad you had fun, looked like a nice spot! that close to the ocean is always going to give a guy problems with condensation in the months that require you to run the furnace I suppose. Especially with 3 'condensation-makers' in there all night sleeping. How are you liking the smooth siding option?

Kilroy

I love the smooth siding! When we ordered the camper the smooth siding was not an option for me - it was a must have. When I came home I rinsed the dust off and it looks like new again.

That's what I was thinking as well and easy to put stickers on if you wish to. BTW, I love your signature - it reminds me of a cooking show or a restaurant where the chef (or waitress) describes the evening selections. ...or maybe it's just my warped mind, in either case I loved it!

Anyone have recommendations for some carpeting I can put into the camper (over the vinyl) that is waterproof and will not let water seep through and onto the floor? I can picture using the camper on a hunting trip where it'll be super muddy and rainy.

Great looking rig.

For carpeting we are using an old set of bathmats - rubber on the bottom and carpet on top.

If you and the Mrs are sleeping above and the little one below, consider opening the corner of the window near your head for a little fresh air and condensation removal. A little fresh air helps everyone sleep better.

Alan

Mine were leftovers after they re-carpeted the medical building I was working at. Should last forever, completely waterproof, still I'd like to get something that would be easier to drag outside and shake out.

Another question...

I was told to use a pressure reducer if I connect the camper to a pressurized faucet. I doubt I'll ever to that, but I want to have a pressure reducer in the camper just in case. What should the pressure be reduced to?

Don't know what the actual reduced pressure is but the RV pressure reducers are pretty standard. You can pick one up online at Camping World or even Amazon. I had my camper prepped at FWC so it was ready out the door and a pressure reducer came with the ready kit. Ive yet to use it because a prefer to fill the tank.

If you connect to shore water, it bypasses the water tank.

Hey Bwh4x4,
Looking at your set-up pic posted at night with your LEDS on. I noticed your waste bag is on the ground. The one I bought from the company is very short and only goes down to the wheel well. Lame. How long is the hose on yours and did you pick it up somewhere besides the Four Wheel Popup dealer. And thanks

Back
Top Bottom