New Tires Needed

I say stick with the Toyo's; they are made in the US now (huge modern plant in GA) and they are nearly universally seen as one of the top-quality tires available. Your choice of the AT3 is wise (3 snowflake rated iirc) and would be a nice transition from the AT2's (which I am running on my RAM 2500, LT 285-60R/20 Xtreme). Toyos are widely available, well-made and balance easily according to most reports. My next set of tires will likely be AT3, Nitto Dura Grappler or Falken Wildpeak. Good Luck!

deezlgeezr said:
I say stick with the Toyo's; they are made in the US now (huge modern plant in GA) and they are nearly universally seen as one of the top-quality tires available. Your choice of the AT3 is wise (3 snowflake rated iirc) and would be a nice transition from the AT2's (which I am running on my RAM 2500, LT 285-60R/20 Xtreme). Toyos are widely available, well-made and balance easily according to most reports. My next set of tires will likely be AT3, Nitto Dura Grappler or Falken Wildpeak. Good Luck!
The reviews are saying the new design is quieter too.

I’ve heard both comments…louder and quieter. The Toyos have been great tires, the howling has increased as the tread has decreased, typical for any tire that doesn’t have highway tread patterns. I’m thinking new shoes next week.

I have the Michelin's and they've been great. About 50k miles on them and still a lot of tread left. No flats, no issues.

I have had the Michelin LTX, the Cooper Discoverer AT3 and BFG KO2.

All on F150, camper on very part time..

Michelins made it to 37k
Cooper to 41 k

Michelin was better in snow.. Cooper was awful in my opinion..

KO2 have 7k on them. They are the quietest of the bunch.

I am pleased with them so far, but can't comment on long term. Easy to find if you have an issue..

The Toyo Open Country AT3 seems to have very good reviews. I'd consider this for my next set of tires. I am on my second set of Toyo Open Country M/T tires and am very happy with them. No unusual howling or drumming noises. I notice many sizes are offered in both load range C and load range E; make sure to go with load range E for use with camper hauling.

Whatever you're going to get, be prepared to wait for them. I've been waiting 2 weeks so far for a set for the 4rnnr.

My fwc has a new ride, a power wagon. It came with Cooper discovery stt max 315/70/17 but D rated. It is consider a commercial grade hybrid between a at and mt tire with a load range of 3195 lbs. So far they are doing the job however I haven't taken the fwc for a ride yet. I am hung up that these are d rated and wondering if I shoud ditch them and get a set e rated tires, which incidently have the same load range. Anyone running these? Shoukd i save my money and wait for these to wear out? Thanks.

My coopers are nearing their end of life. Mileage was decent if not great. If I push it I'll wind up with about 35-40k. I'm considering trying the wildpeaks or the yokohamas just because I like to try different tires. By the time I decide on my favorite tire I'll probably stop driving :)+

mtbxr650 said:
My fwc has a new ride, a power wagon. It came with Cooper discovery stt max 315/70/17 but D rated. It is consider a commercial grade hybrid between a at and mt tire with a load range of 3195 lbs. So far they are doing the job however I haven't taken the fwc for a ride yet. I am hung up that these are d rated and wondering if I shoud ditch them and get a set e rated tires, which incidently have the same load range. Anyone running these? Shoukd i save my money and wait for these to wear out? Thanks.
probably fine.. just less psi rating so might just depend on your overall weight? I run mine at 55 psi and its good for me, D rated go up to 65 psi.. take the FWC for a spin and see how it feels..

I have run the coopers on several trucks for years. I have never ran one tire that i liked more. I use them year round on an f250, snow, sand trails. Had my first pop-up on this truck, feel the tires performed well.
I also run them on my current camper/truck combo for winter driving. They work well in the snow, not as good as a snow tire per se, but all in all pretty good. Would not worry about the D rating in your case.

Wore out a set of D rated GY Duratracs under our CTD 2500 and campers. On pavement I ran them at max cold pressure (50 psi for those).

MDR, I did finally get a set of tires for the 4rnnr, Yoko X-A/T's. More aggressive than I what wanted (Yoko A/T-S') and not in the size that I wanted due to the lack of availability of the required wheels (16's). I deal almost exclusively with Motion Tire on West Thompson Blvd. The above Duratracs didn't come from there because he couldn't get them then, but all other tires I buy from him.

Thanks again for the continuing replies. I’ve pretty much decided on the Toyo AT3s due to the 3-peak rating. I was still on the fence up until I saw the amount of snow up in Green Valley Lake and decided a bit more aggressive tread over the Michelins would be advisable considering the truck. I’m in Cam and have been using Big Brand lately over America’s Tire. I like that I can get an alignment at the same time as install.

That is an issue here. The best local alignment shop went out of biz when one of the partners was killed in an accident. Since then finding a shop that will do alignments by what the vehicle needs rather than what the book says has been tough. Tried a guy over your way in behind Dial Security with 4rnnr, but he told me that he won't touch the Blanc-Oh.

If he's on Aviador then that would be him. It did take a couple days to get an appointment, and that was 2+ years ago.

Back
Top Bottom