New to the Forum: Considering FWC Hawk

My credit union let us take out a loan against a vehicle we have that is paid off. They gave me a 1.95 % interest rate. Typical RV loans are much higher than this. That could be an option.

Thats odd considering how long FWC has been in existence. Although, the lady at Dillon Beach asked me what brand it was, I replied "its a four wheel camper" this lady who has seen god knows how many hundreds of thousands of rv's replies "but what brand is it" /boggle :)

My Credit Union (Like Bwht4X4) GaveMeThe 1.9 rate, No Issues...

Texan76 said:
I got thrown a curveball today. I called my local credit union to inquire about financing for the Hawk. They finance RV's, but FWC is not listed in their loan book as a manufacturer. Does FWC have a different corporate name? If not, why would they not be listed? If I can't get a loan for the camper, I won't be getting one as soon as I had hoped. :-(
He's right about part of this-lot's of people do not know what a pop up camper is. We had a thread here awhile back taking about getting these things insured-sort of started when I realized my policy said i was pulling around a pop-up trailer not carrying it on my truck-took a while to get AAA to understand what one was add it to the list. About what to get, I bought a new Granby in 05 after years of back packing, tent and truck camping until one day I just got to cold sitting around my fire drinking a cold beer in the wind and trying to keep warm. I saw a picture on the web of some folks sitting under an awning from a fwc and having a drink in some neat lake up in the Sierras! Okay I went in with a couple of requirements-heat, a screen door and an ice box-the rest was dressing. After talking to both Stan and the fwc owner, I ended up with a 3-way(I had ice cubes now for the first time-not just 3 days of ice then it was the creeks to keep things cold-and an awning-yep gotta to have a place to sit in the rain and sun.. Got solar plugs and was never sorry. I got talked into the hot water heater/shower by Stan, and love washing dishes and sometimes myself in hot water. Sooo, the way I look at it, buy the neat stuff now when you can hide it in the overall costs (some of my friends here would rather make their own improvement-me I'm both lazy and have 3 thumbs) now you will love it later. The FWC is a tough creature-you can add things, make changes and it stays together, the staff there and I hear at ATC too are really helpful in any thing you need. Since I got the FWC to get me in to places, then play, most of the time you are in it is when the weather is bad, need to cook something out of the wind or to sleep, you may think all the extras are not needed, but they are sure nice after years of sitting in the cold! Enjoy that rig!

Smoke

I sure hope you can proceed with the loan to get your FWC Hawk. You sound like folks who would really benefit and enjoy the pop up camper lifestyle. You have also done your homework and have found this wonderful community of WtW. Happy trails.

SmokeCreek mentioned insurance so I thought I'd mention this here...my insurance rep gave me a quote of $82/ year for full comprehensive and collision coverage. Less than $7 a month added to my truck's insurance!

I can't speak of others on this site....but for me....the less stuff I have to mess with to set up and take down camp the better. The more I use the camper....the more this gets refined.

The hot water is a must have for me...both for dishes and showers. I do have a Zodi Extreme (think fire extinguisher size)....but it just one more thing to have to lug around and set up and take down....so it stays home most of the time now.

As for the lifting struts....get them. Mine are inside because I think they look ugly and they are exposed to the weather outside. It takes less than 20 seconds to remove them both once the roof is up.

Get the second fan....and get the upgraded fans as they use a fraction of the energy required to run the three speed fans. The second fan is needed over the stove to quickly vent food odors while cooking.

I have the ac and it's worth it's weight in gold at times. I run it with a Honda 2000. When not using the ac, I just use a Honda 1000. I have solar....but I camp out for 6 weeks at a time without moving and sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate. I prefer the Honda generators over the Yamaha because you can link the two Hondas together and get a 3000 watt option if needed (for home emergency use). Some will tell you that you cannot link a Honda 1000 to a Honda 2000 but that isn't the case. A friend made me a converter to do just that and it works great. Lots of info out on the web about it in rv forums.

I believe you are overthinking the co2 wiring. It draws so little why worry about it? It's a safety device that can save your life. I came very close to being a statistic once due to co2....so I am very cautious in that regard.

Just my 2 cents.

Smokecreek1 said:
He's right about part of this-lot's of people do not know what a pop up camper is. We had a thread here awhile back taking about getting these things insured-sort of started when I realized my policy said i was pulling around a pop-up trailer not carrying it on my truck-took a while to get AAA to understand what one was add it to the list. About what to get, I bought a new Granby in 05 after years of back packing, tent and truck camping until one day I just got to cold sitting around my fire drinking a cold beer in the wind and trying to keep warm. I saw a picture on the web of some folks sitting under an awning from a fwc and having a drink in some neat lake up in the Sierras! Okay I went in with a couple of requirements-heat, a screen door and an ice box-the rest was dressing. After talking to both Stan and the fwc owner, I ended up with a 3-way(I had ice cubes now for the first time-not just 3 days of ice then it was the creeks to keep things cold-and an awning-yep gotta to have a place to sit in the rain and sun.. Got solar plugs and was never sorry. I got talked into the hot water heater/shower by Stan, and love washing dishes and sometimes myself in hot water. Sooo, the way I look at it, buy the neat stuff now when you can hide it in the overall costs (some of my friends here would rather make their own improvement-me I'm both lazy and have 3 thumbs) now you will love it later. The FWC is a tough creature-you can add things, make changes and it stays together, the staff there and I hear at ATC too are really helpful in any thing you need. Since I got the FWC to get me in to places, then play, most of the time you are in it is when the weather is bad, need to cook something out of the wind or to sleep, you may think all the extras are not needed, but they are sure nice after years of sitting in the cold! Enjoy that rig!

Smoke
I don't think its a matter of them knowing what a pop up is. It was a matter that FWC was not listed in their NADA type guide they use to ascertain value. I'm sure other brands of pop ups are in that book, such as Palomino and such, but FWC isn't. I'll have to research this and figure out another lender and/ or lending solution.

Texan76 said:
I got thrown a curveball today. I called my local credit union to inquire about financing for the Hawk. They finance RV's, but FWC is not listed in their loan book as a manufacturer. Does FWC have a different corporate name? If not, why would they not be listed? If I can't get a loan for the camper, I won't be getting one as soon as I had hoped. :-(
Seems like this should be easy to work out. FWC wants to sell campers and the Credit Union wants to loan money. They all have an incentive to help you. :)

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and make an assumption... Even when in the disconnect mode, most campers/RVs have a parasitic drain that will run batteries flat over time. Things like gas leak detectors and CO monitors are always on. My Airstream will run the batteries down in about three weeks if not hooked to shore power or solar (which we installed).
Just went out and checked my 2012 Hawk.
When I turn off the main power switch the orange led power indicator goes out on the propane/CO monitor.
I haven't noticed any battery drain at all with the main switch off.

Rotti, that surprises me. Both my Caribou and the Airstream will drain their batteries if not connected to some kind of a charge or not disconnecting the ground.

I haven't figured it all out yet, but I have noticed a significant battery drain while the camper is parked. When the camper is off the truck, the battery lasts much longer (it is mounted in the engine compartment). I have read that the fantastic fans that operate with a remote add a small drain in addition to the various sensors.I suspect my battery management system draws some too. I am looking for a way to add a master switch for when we aren't using the camper. It's not a huge problem as I can always plug in a charger when it is parked at home but I would like to solve the problem for when we are boon-docking. No point in wasting battery power. I am also checking out my solar options.

I have a Honda 2000I inverter. I almost always have my trailer behind my truck. I either have my ATV or my Boat. So I also have my generator. I can run everything in my camper and leave my generator on idle. I like to watch movies at night or go over maps in my computer. The extra power is so handy I kind of wish I would have got a furnace.
I have my house wired with a transfer switch so I can run my house with my generator.

takesiteasy said:
. I am also checking out my solar options.
Al,I think you hit the nail on the head.Solar would help out.I only have a 45w panel,thinking of adding another 60w one of these days.
My panel helps out also when the rig is not in use.The system will charge both truck and camper battery as needed.
This seems to work (as long as the panel doesn't give me the problem that I just found and fixed).
But that said we don't stay in one place for a long time.Also we tend to drive someplace at least once a day and that gives the Interstate 75a battery a charge.The draws I have are Truckfridge compressor cooler,LED lights, fan,and heater as needed,Just in mornings to warm up the camper.
Haven't had a problem running out of power.
Check out others solar.There are a lot of members with this option.
Frank

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Thanks for all your input on this subject. Be safe and enjoy your turkey!

Texan76, welcome to the family. I'm in a similar place as you are, hoping to place an order within the next 6 months. Good luck on your financing. Once you have a truck camper its hard to be without.

Sagebrush, don't forget the photos and good luck with the countdown.

Kilroy..... "It's up to us to modify heavily to suit our needs".... I got to have a beer with you someday.

In your intro you mentioned the Propex heater, I believe there made in Europe. About a year ago I heard about them a few times and then that name disappeared. Any good or bad news about these furnaces ?

DanT said:
In your intro you mentioned the Propex heater, I believe there made in Europe. About a year ago I heard about them a few times and then that name disappeared. Any good or bad news about these furnaces ?
They are still kinda the rage with the Westfalia crowd and at least one RTT mfg puts together a portable for use with their tents, or maybe it's a teardrop trailer mfg, I don't remember.

http://westyventures.com/propex.html

http://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/

Hope your 6 month plan comes together.

I've heard that the propex heater is a vented furnace that has a low amp draw. I think that FWC will install it as an option. I have also read though that the Atwood they are now using has a low amp draw as well.

Phoenix is starting to use the Platinum Cat. Will FWC install the Platinum Cat vented catalytic heater? It pulls only .4 amp /hour and is vented, so no risks associated with standard catalytic heaters.

Thanks Lucky Dan, I'm planning a factory visit in April and then checking out the FWC rally. I'm from the east coast and if not for "Connecticut Yankee" a fellow FWC enthusiast I met here on WTW, I would never get a chance to see one. Thanks Conn. Yankee. Anyway after my visit to Calf. in April I think I'll know exactly what i want. Then there's the money thing.....there's always the money thing. But between May and June I'll make it happen.
Then maybe I might change my name to Lucky Dan II.

Stan, is there a difference in amp draw between the Propex and Atwood you are using? From what i could find, it appears that they both pull around 1.9 / hour. Is this correct?

Also, will Four Wheel install the Platinum Cat vented catalytic heater?

Back
Top Bottom