Newbie checkin in with a question

imix

Advanced Member
Hi, I am a longtime lurker, getting closer to a purchase for my 02 Tacoma. Leaning towards a shell model as I like to KISS (Keep it Simple, Stupid). Been trying to wait for that perfect used Eagle or Ranger, but I live in Ohio and most used units are on the west coast it seems.

Also need to say that the inspiration, innovation and thought that the users of wtw have put into their campers is breathtaking at times.

Was curious if anyone on the board, particularly those with maritime leanings had ever used an alcohol stove/heater combo in their FWC or ATC. Back in the day I made a backpacking "plumbers" alcohol stove which outperformed any commercial model and was light. I never had a problem finding fuel (denatured alcohol). A good friend was badly injured in a propane tank explosion and i have always been leary since. This is a pic of a model that doubles as a stove or a 5,200 BTU heater for boats.

Also, thought this might be of interest to the forum. Might put Engel out of business if they can actually mass produce them.

Attachments

• Alt_Alcohol heater.jpg
    Alt_Alcohol heater.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 251
I'm always weary of combustion inside the camper. Replacing O2 with CO2 seems dangerous. The offset of course is to open a window. But doesn't a generously open vent/windows just cool off the space you are trying to heat?

Others use catalytic heaters (with the same O2 issue), so your alcohol stove would work. I'd also worry about knocking over the alcohol and causing a fire. Otheres here know a lot more about propane/heat/air needs than I, so let them chime in.

I'm always weary of combustion inside the camper. Replacing O2 with CO2 seems dangerous. The offset of course is to open a window. But doesn't a generously open vent/windows just cool off the space you are trying to heat?

Others use catalytic heaters (with the same O2 issue), so your alcohol stove would work. I'd also worry about knocking over the alcohol and causing a fire. Otheres here know a lot more about propane/heat/air needs than I, so let them chime in.

These are pretty much my concerns as well.

imix,
When I was using a SnugTop on my T-100 I used an Origo Heat Pal I got on ebay for $30. It kept me nice and toasty in both the eastern Sierras and Saline valley in the dead of winter. Just pop a window and relax they work great.

Back
Top Bottom