No Destination : hoyden and two dogs hit the road full-time

Goodbyes and More Adventures

I'm currently sitting outside at my friend's ranch in Skull Valley, Arizona. I stopped in for a quick visit on Monday, and got stuck. RB Paradise Ranch is a difficult place to leave. Open arms, horsies, rock clambering, good food, Argos romping... easy to get stuck here. You see, Richard is the kind of guy who has a big heart and loves company.
[ 301 more words ]

http://no-destination.org/index.php/2017/03/18/goodbyes-and-more-adventures/

6d8fbRtcuyLuK92HYDA9SlT4VejCskGBGVtC0RqjAb0YFhSWZB0eELPFo2bR61WnY5GBhgvyhS3ApEcdfMAhsk4X64aVGa4x3UnoSTYA24811MVpgCrga8bsk6gcr2SZA-RdzzPelXTsqOQ1vk2_iuccFSj0x2kmMV6IJvLYS76KOZYUbh02-U3zOKyOUAnneCglk2iE_evR9Z104oHRw5v-IKRiNv7aSf10u6Q1OElQjXFgM9AEmJ5ruuDk69YGzgDpjQwZGqUQetzJEZ0XhRQ-ggjCXQaYRCLWRf89e3KAn2l34sSHGf9z5ls5MRKnH6IPd_Ipoc3JXVH1U18_Kr2269KZ7mV0prO5e7R8TComWaslOFUs-dxCAsPGUscO54s7XMn1siWAZ_PogBlXLWo9CwQW9hZ-LvCeOM1QeIbR506ut5ZrkFcp_09utUQhhgwHUCtxvOU3iIh0HOTVgdBg49JhZvGOgxQlS5bxhEQmMhmrLywtW4KMDhqJdvMW-xU71LiPA0OT4flmJmOGDYVty6zFf5wRe86dAKDY9Q1aamoBPXFePkYZgu7Q3KxmAu_TU-S1EXuQmKVCeubsHO13_yqA_mD-ssKZ3ifMrW1pho14vw=w2688-h1520-no

Nice. My dog loves the ponies too.... she met her first rooster in baja recently.

Attachments

• 20170216_163322.jpg
    20170216_163322.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 71
hoyden said:
Any of yous live in the Kanab, Ut area by any chance?
You should go there and volunteer at Best Friends! Actually, that'd be a great place to work! You do have to register, etc. to volunteer but I've done it many, many times and always come home feeling better. If you do go, volunteer with the puppies (if you can). Horses are fun too, pigs, cats, etc. I know people who have helped with rabbits and didn't have such a great time. I haven't done birds either.

kmcintyre said:
You should go there and volunteer at Best Friends! Actually, that'd be a great place to work! You do have to register, etc. to volunteer but I've done it many, many times and always come home feeling better. If you do go, volunteer with the puppies (if you can). Horses are fun too, pigs, cats, etc. I know people who have helped with rabbits and didn't have such a great time. I haven't done birds either.
It was right by Best Friends where I got run off the road and destroyed my Defender and trailer in 2007. The driver of an asphalt truck thought that the vehicle that ran me off turned in there. They didn't stop or come back to help me out. :mad: They do have a nice hospital there in Kanab, though, but I still get a little puckered when I drive past Best Friends.

Stalking Light said:
It was right by Best Friends where I got run off the road and destroyed my Defender and trailer in 2007. The driver of an asphalt truck thought that the vehicle that ran me off turned in there. They didn't stop or come back to help me out. :mad: They do have a nice hospital there in Kanab, though, but I still get a little puckered when I drive past Best Friends.
Yikes! I assume you called the police and they "took care of it".

No real witnesses so I was lucky the truck driver came forward to back up my story otherwise they would have figured I just ran off the road. I wasn't in any real shape to pursue anything and mostly just happy to be alive. I would have been better off in retrospect if I had just hit them, but I'm glad I didn't. I do miss the D90 to this day though.

Holy cow! Glad you were okay, Charlie! Whoa!

I stayed at Kodachrome SP the past two nights. No cell service... BEAUTIFUL!
And crazy hail + thunderstorm last night. Does that count as Thundersnow? :-D

Currently in little town of Tropic at "internet cafe" having a pastry and tea and catching up.
Supposed to stormy again tonight, so might just go back to Kodachrome. I drove through the Bryce campground on Tuesday, but it was not only packed, but also weirdly uncomfortable spaces. All off canter and small and seemed rather random. Strange.

That looks awesome! I'm hesitant to go down any dirt roads today tho - it hailed! and thunderstormed! and rained! yesterday and last night - and is supposed to rain again this afternoon.

So... I accepted a jobby job with IBM in Columbia, Missouri starting mid-April.
It's about 3 hrs to mom & Carbondale (southern Illinois. home), so that's good
1f642.png
:)
Camping at Tuweep Overlook last few days of March with Cayuse, then heading midwest!

I'm going to have to (re)learn how to camp in humidity. and bugs.
ugh.

You're right, I don't think that road would be any fun wet. Good luck on the job, that's good news. Columbia is probably a fun town but since I was a KU student in grad school they are arch enemies. :giggle:

Lots of pretty places in MO but it can be horrible in the summer. Make sure you watch for mildew in your camper if it is going to be closed up much then.

Mildew?! Ugh.
Yeah, I stayed one night in my camper in October back home last year and it was like sleeping in a sauna.
I'm going to have to figure this out because I don't want to not camper!

Do you have two fantastic fans? It helps having one over the bed at least (I camp here in the SE in the summer and it is sweltering here too - 80 degree nights with 80% humidity). I often have both fans going at night, one blowing in over the bed and the other out over the stove.

hoyden said:
.......... then heading midwest!

ugh.
Aw, c'mon, sleeping on sweat-soaked sheets is a character builder. Should hardly be a challenge for a Ladybug.

Welcome home!

Foy

hoyden said:
So... I accepted a jobby job with IBM in Columbia, Missouri starting mid-April.
It's about 3 hrs to mom & Carbondale (southern Illinois. home), so that's good
1f642.png
:)[/size]

Camping at Tuweep Overlook last few days of March with Cayuse, then heading midwest!

ugh.
Ladybug, IBM is a good company. When we moved to a different software platform, we brought IBM in to support our legacy systems as they were being phased out. IBM hired many folks from our programming team to be the business and software experts. For some of my direct reports, this translated into a very good career. As we say in the west, I think you dun good :) .

Back
Top Bottom