October Black Rock?

If the playa is dry - truck camper line dancing. :D Home Skillet can film it. It will go viral. Your websites will get mega hits. I'm just sayin'.

Long term weather report looks good for your trip. Sounds like you will have a good size gathering. We have other plans and won't be joining you. Based on my history of driving where I shouldn't, that is probably a good thing for those that will be there. Happy trails!

Well, looks like we are out. Something has come up for that Saturday. Have fun, looking forward to the report.

Jack

I've never been there and can't seem to find the campground on the internet. There's a Soldier Meadows Campground
in Calif, but can't find one in Nevada?? Anyone have directions from Gerlach or a link with a map??
Thanks

Here's a good site:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/index.php/areas?area=14

http://www.wanderthewest.com/index.php/spot?record=11425

:p

Oh Man!!! I was way off!! I hit my lat & long program for Black Rock NV and it took me clear down to below Ely!!!

Went to Cabelas today and bought a NV benchmark map booklet just to double check. Couldn't find any of the points mentioned except a Black rock!!! I am happy to learn I won't have to drive as far as I thought!!

Soldiers Meadow is on page 31 G-7. Time to re program my GPS!!!!! :oops: :D

Thanks Aaron, am I to presume the campground is at the hot springs??

Yeah. The roads right at the springs are a bit confusing. The proper springs have an outhouse and developed campsites so if you end up at another spring without the campground its not the right one.

If my plan goes as planned, I'm going to the Alvord Desert a day or two before, so I'll be coming from the NNE.
So, the route I'll take (in blue on my map) takes off from 140 SW of Denio and passes through the Bog Hot Valley and Summit Lake Indian Reservation.
If I was coming from Idaho I'd go this way...but don't sue me if something bad happens as a result.
wink.gif

Click on the map:

Alvord-to-SoldierMeadows.jpg

I've taken this route once before, though in the reverse direction, in July a few years ago. I'm trusting that the roads won't yet be in winter condition -- I'm really not trying to recreate the Stolpa adventure.
rolleyes.gif

On the other hand...if I was heading west across northern NV on I80, when I reached Winnemucca I'd take the route I drew on the map below. The unpaved road takes off from the north side of Winnemucca -- I think it's signed for Jungo and/or Sulfur. You reach pavement again just south of Gerlach.

Winnemucca-to-SoldierMeadows.jpg

I should say: I've been on this road from Sulfur to Gerlach (reaching Sulfur from the north via the east side of the east arm of the Black Rock -- a rarely-visited area!), but I've never been on the stretch from Winnemucca to Sulfur. But my endocrinologist took that route on his first-ever trip to the Black Rock this summer and he didn't report any drama.

Thanks Mark. I think I will try the Denio route too. If you are coming down US 95 watch for a turn off to the right that says Denio 50 some miles. It is gravel but you can make pretty good time on it for most of it. It saves a lot of hwy miles.

I towed my travel trailer across it at 50 mph most of the way. Not good for the trailer with a lifted truck and no mud flaps!!! Front end looks like a golf ball!!! :oops:

If you are coming down US 95 watch for a turn off to the right that says Denio 50 some miles.

I think you're talking about the Whitehorse Ranch Road, the road I marked on my map with the arrow as "US95 and Jordan Valley".

Have you stopped at Willow (aka, "Whitehorse") Hot Springs? It's a little west, then south, of the Whitehorse Ranch HQ:
Willow on Google Maps
It's been a destination for quite a while...became an official BLM recreation site (with ADA-compliant outhouse!) some years ago. A great place to camp or soak, but since it's well-known to fans of the area you may not have it to yourself.

I think you're talking about the Whitehorse Ranch Road, the road I marked on my map with the arrow as "US95 and Jordan Valley".

Have you stopped at Willow (aka, "Whitehorse") Hot Springs? It's a little west, then south, of the Whitehorse Ranch HQ:
Willow on Google Maps
It's been a destination for quite a while...became an official BLM recreation site (with ADA-compliant outhouse!) some years ago. A great place to camp or soak, but since it's well-known to fans of the area you may not have it to yourself.

Yep, that's the road. Did not notice it the first time on your map as I was concentrating on Denio and south. :eek:

I'm heading out on Wed so Willow Hot Springs looks like a good spot for that night. Thanks!!

Put me back on the "I'll be there" list.
smile.gif

So...who else is on that list?

I'm not completely sure but as far as I know:

Camelracer
Dirtydog
Home Skillet
Mark BC
Craig
Silvertip

I'll look through the thread and update as I figure it out.

Actually if you are going to make it could you confirm again in this thread please?

The weather looks like its going to be great!

Actually if you are going to make it could you confirm again in this thread please?

FWIW: I think Brett13 said he'll be there, but since he's already "out there" (SE OR, anyway) he may not have the connectivity to confirm...
huh.gif

Hoping to hit the road thursday evening. We'll see how far up I get. Hope my maps arrive before its time to leave.

FWIW: I think Brett13 said he'll be there, but since he's already "out there" (SE OR, anyway) he may not have the connectivity to confirm...
huh.gif

We will be there. Hiding from the weather today, so I have a connection until morning. See you fri.

As a side note, anyone have an extra clip that clips the camper roof down? I seem to have lost the clip part, probably because it was too loose (we left bedding up top and loosened them). I wonder what I can replace it with that will work temporarily? Going to try the hardware store in Winnemucca tomorrow am.

Back
Top Bottom