Off The Grid For Vacation To Antarctica

pvstoy

See all of you the middle of next month and happy posting. Bags at the door and early pick up to the airport. Shutting down the computer and off the grid, I won’t see any responses to this post.

Antarctica here we come………Yahooooooo

Hey he's back! Antarctica, yeah riiiiiight............
biggrin.gif

This wfi is great! Here is a quick report and pictures. Don't know how long it will last....

Today in Buenos Aires started off with partly cloudy skies and later this afternoon after a big lunch it is outright pouring rain! Good time to stay inside. Went to a mausoleum this morning where “Evita” Eva Peron supposedly remains are there. Having a good time.

01.JPG
06.JPG

I'm looking at my wallet and the fuel guage in the truck wondering if I can even leave the house and Pvstoy is in Argentina /sigh. I can be adopted ya know :rolleyes:

Been saving for a long time................

Today we took a long walk along a waterway then ended up in a district called La Boca. Walked around and took some pictures and had a great lunch. On the way back we got hit by pigeon poop…did not smell good at all!!! Cross of vinegar an ammonium (acid).

Tomorrow we leave for Ushuaia and see if there is WiFi there.

_MG_0122.JPG
_MG_0172.JPG

Sun., 11/15/09 – We had an uneventful 3½ hour flight to Ushuaia (pronounced oosh-WHY-ah), at the tip of South America. As we approached the runway, we had a good view of dramatic snow-covered peaks rising thousands of feet.

Some of the other folks on the plane with us are going on a different ship to the shore of Antarctica, then take a helicopter inland to Snow Hill, which is where you go to see emperor penguins (the largest penguins, now famous from “The March of the Penguins” film.) However, we heard that their ship was stuck in the ice near Antarctica in white out conditions and the next group of passengers would have to wait for it in Ushuaia; we also heard that the folks on board did not get to go to Snow Hill due to the bad weather. That would be awful after all the time and money to get so close.

Ushuaia is a good 30 to 40 degrees colder than Buenos Aires – won’t be needing T-shirts any more. Our ship comes in tomorrow morning and leaves port (with us) around dinner time.

_MG_0183.JPG
_MG_0185.JPG
_MG_0188.JPG

That place looks spectacular Pat. Is that a nice town to hang in or a rough and tumble frontier outpost? Or both? :)

That place looks spectacular Pat. Is that a nice town to hang in or a rough and tumble frontier outpost? Or both?
smile.gif

A tourist town…..with local shops catering and friendly. Nice place to visit but the weather is unpredictable.

Be leaving shortly for the ship and see you all in December….There will not be anymore WiFi until then.

Probably the best steak in Argentina- Cabana Las Lilas, Alica Moreau de Justo at VILLAFLOR IN dIQUE 3, Puerto Madero tel. 11/4313-1336

Carol and I just stepped off the ship here in Ushuaia. Now starts the long journey home.

But W O W what a great 24 days on the ship with a great group of people...!!!...!!!...

Will have to get back on this week end to say more.

Back
Top Bottom