options I would like to see

Well my 2 cents worth!
I toured all three pop up camper manufacturers...certainly there were those that offered options and many extras...I choose FWC because I thought they made the best, impressed me with service, warranty follow through and they tend to be the lightest!!!
I felt they were the best unit for off roading/boon docking...I wanted simple! I have had trailers/big cab-over campers/5th wheels...
I also enjoy making my truck/camper/ATV mine by customizing it to suit me!!!
When I picked up my camper there was a electric problem...I was over whelmed by the FWC staff in getting it fixed and certainly they went above and beyond!!!!
They have earned my trust!!
If there was a perfect rig then we'd only have one maker of trucks/cars/house's/etc.

JHa6av8r said:
The FWC flat bed models are NO pull-out cabovers with storage underneath the bed but still in the East-West configuration. However to do that the cabover height is increased.
Our Phoenix has that storage. It's not as useful as it might seem. Can only access when the top is up due to needing to lift the plywood that the mattress rests on. I have debated having 3 "drawer fronts" made to allow top down access. The volume is divided into 4 sections, but one is buried behind the fridge.

I told both when I talked to them that I understood that the cab-over height would and should increase with a longer reach over the cab. With increased length any cantilever beam should also increase in depth.

This isn't a complaint. This is a suggestion. In order to save space and weight, it would be nice if they would consider using an on demand hot water system. No need for a 6(?) gallon holding water heater. I have an Eccotemp L5 which ignites with two D cell batteries. It runs on propane and as long as you have a 20 psi pump which they already install in their campers, I think it would be not only less expensive but lighter and less space consuming...

100acrehuphalump said:
This isn't a complaint. This is a suggestion. In order to save space and weight, it would be nice if they would consider using an on demand hot water system. No need for a 6(?) gallon holding water heater. I have an Eccotemp L5 which ignites with two D cell batteries. It runs on propane and as long as you have a 20 psi pump which they already install in their campers, I think it would be not only less expensive but lighter and less space consuming...
I always considered the extra 6 gallons a big plus, 30% more water storage.

This being my first post of 2015, I'd like to wish all members of this forum / family a Happy & Healthy New Year.

I would like to see a cab high model with tents that pop out from the side. The center would be living area and the side walls fold down with a tent cover. The top pop up for hight, but when down it would be the same as the truck roof. That isn't "like to see option" that is more like a like to see camper.

idahoron said:
I would like to see a cab high model with tents that pop out from the side. The center would be living area and the side walls fold down with a tent cover. The top pop up for hight, but when down it would be the same as the truck roof. That isn't "like to see option" that is more like a like to see camper.
Sounds kind of like a FLIPPAC.

That'd sure gain me some space plus I hate having the pilot light using up propane. It would be even better if it ran off 12volts. Thats something I'll have to give some more consideration to.

craig333 said:
That'd sure gain me some space plus I hate having the pilot light using up propane. It would be even better if it ran off 12volts. Thats something I'll have to give some more consideration to.
They ignite with two D Batteries, and it runs from the pump. I'm opting to get just the outside shower hookup and no heater. I can appreciate the need for an additional 6 gallons which the stock water heater holds, but I can carry an extra 5 in a jerrycan.

I always considered the extra 6 gallons a big plus, 30% more water storage.

This being my first post of 2015, I'd like to wish all members of this forum / family a Happy & Healthy New Year.
I agree, that 6 extra gallons is great. Also, since the heater works so fast, I leave it off overnight and when I don't need hot water.

Option I made on my old 2002 Hawk was a knee switch for the water pump. I have the new pressure pump on my 2013 Hawk and notice I am using more water when I turn on faucet on and off. I will be building a knee or foot switch for my Hawk before I make my east coast trip.

I think some folks may be missing the point about the on-demand heater. You don't "lose" water with it...you open up storage space. If you choose to put more water in that space, feel free. The point is that 1) on-demand heaters use less propane because you're not constantly heating 6gal of water, and it doesn't constantly burn a pilot light, 2) you get to choose what to put into that extra space, and 3) they're much easier to winterize. Some can even self-protect in subfreezing temps.

I've always found the lack of gray water options interesting, too. Something as simple as a hose splitter under the sink so I could put a collapsible container under there for quick trips or highway stops would be nice. Lots of ways to do this, either self-contained in the camper or a ready-made way to put one on the truck, that wouldn't require big changes to the camper design. (That said, I like BobM's design and plan to steal it when I finally get my camper! Just bought the truck yesterday!)

I've also been curious why so few RV dealers (not just FWC/ATC/etc) offer built-in cell and wifi extenders. With a quick spin-up, it would be a super simple project that many people are scared to do, simply because dealing with electronics is too complicated for them to invest the time into...making this a high payoff option for the dealer. Maybe there's a reason I haven't considered yet, though.

Another option I'm surprised isn't more common in the overall RV industry is an actual security container...maybe not a full on gun safe, but at least something more than a flimsy lockbox that I could pry open with with a good knife (and even those are rare). Especially considering the crowd here, for example...many of us are likely to leave laptops in the camper while we're out during the day, or leave our guns behind at some point during a hunting trip, etc.

Is FWC really not willing to rattle-can the white panels on the outside of a Silver Spur before installing them? If so, that seems a little petty.

But like I said, I'm not in the business so I'm sure there are things I haven't considered. I'm happy FWC chooses to keep costs low for such a high quality product, though...something has to be traded for that.

Stalking Light said:
Sounds kind of like a FLIPPAC.
Not really like a flippac, The top would come up for only head room, and the beds are in the walls and fold out. This is a bad mock up but you get the idea.

img_110344_4_6467fe3865e425581cbd4bf69bd48d53.jpg

Actually, the most important option I'd like to see in any truck camper is just a comfortable place to sit...like an actual chair. There are starting to be some almost-acceptable options in the $50k+ campers with slideouts, but even then it's limited.

And yet for some reason, even the expensive campers have options for a fold-out bed. "I just paid $60,000 so I don't have to sleep in a tent. You know what I want? Put a tent on this thing!" Seems like the manufacturers have their priorities confused.

Thing is, I can't come up with a good option that doesn't take up too much space, either! So I understand the dilemma, but I wish people smarter than me would put more effort into it!

idahoron said:
Not really like a flippac, The top would come up for only head room, and the beds are in the walls and fold out. This is a bad mock up but you get the idea.
The Bethany Pick Upper! Made in the 70's and/or 80's. Very rare. Bethany made a lot of tent trailers, and a few of these.

DSC02539-800x533.jpg

DSC02552-800x533.jpg

That is it. I would like one maybe a little more up to date but that is the idea.

100acrehuphalump said:
I can appreciate the need for an additional 6 gallons which the stock water heater holds, but I can carry an extra 5 in a jerrycan.
On my camper that extra water in the heater is useless unless you have water in the main tank to push it through.

Back
Top Bottom