options I would like to see

camelracer said:
On my camper that extra water in the heater is useless unless you have water in the main tank to push it through.
Let me get this straight, are you saying that if you use all of your 20 gal. cold water supply you can not get water out of the water heater. Not that you would use it that way but it does not sound right, I assumed the entire system gets pressurized by the pump.

That's likely the case. If the main is dry there's no water for the pump to pump. They usually don't pump air very well, so no water in the main means nothing for the pump to work with.

Our water heater (on a 2013 Hawk) has an electronic ignition so no pilot light needed. We only turn ours on when we're making dinner (or all too often, after dinner) for dish water and when we're planning to take a shower. Dishes take one round of heating the water since we use well less than 6 gallons while showers might take two for the both of us depending on the outside temperature and all. An inline heater would be nice if it took less space and still met our needs.

An option I'd like to see is a nicer sink faucet with a larger "U" so inside dishes weren't such a messy affair. Upgrading ours is on my short list of things to do this Spring or Summer.

Alan

craig333 said:
Anyone ever seen an electronic ignition upgrade for the older water heaters?
When my 3 way fridge died I moved the re-igniter I had installed on the fridge to the water heater. Works great to start the heater but still needs the pilot to keep it running.

alano said:
Our water heater (on a 2013 Hawk) has an electronic ignition so no pilot light needed. We only turn ours on when we're making dinner (or all too often, after dinner) for dish water and when we're planning to take a shower. Dishes take one round of heating the water since we use well less than 6 gallons while showers might take two for the both of us depending on the outside temperature and all. An inline heater would be nice if it took less space and still met our needs.

An option I'd like to see is a nicer sink faucet with a larger "U" so inside dishes weren't such a messy affair. Upgrading ours is on my short list of things to do this Spring or Summer.

Alan
I paid for a marine grade faucet an upgrade that allows you to pull the faucet out in spray wand fashion. The dealer in Wisconsin, Sean Dempsey had it on his camper and I had it added.

I have been pleased to find discussion of modifications and problem solving on this forum. But when it becomes a flat out defense of Four Wheel and criticisms of existing products are bashed, the forum becomes censored and far less useful. As to the advice to go to FWC vendors for adjustments, so far my experience is "fogedaboudit." I cannot even get a refer weatherstrip that was already damaged when Granby was delivered by FWC . Sometimes mass producing businesses become so large their product quality and ability to innovate are compromised.
longhorn1 said:
I will measure my response by saying "Don't sweat the small stuff". For someone that spent 2 years researching, I'm very pleased with what FWC built for me. I knew going in that they wouldn't provide any flexibility. They really aren't loosing business. There business model is to mass produce a very high quality camper at a very competitive price. What they loose by not custom making, they are gaining ten fold with their pricing and quality. My first question is if you needed to air your complaints and seem to be unhappy, why didn't you talk to ATC? I don't think FWC deserves the bashing. Not a lot of room for a gray water tank. Most people connect a hose to a 5-7 gallon container or make their own like Bob M. FWC's campers are light weight and that is a big plus. Do you worry about your car or truck being damaged by hail? You could have gone to Hallmark or Outfitter, spent double what you paid for your FWC and gotten a fiberglass roof. Sorry but I think your complaints are unwarranted. The reason they are doing modes are because they bought the FWC or ATC shell and are good with tools. They save a bunch of money and finish the camper the way they want it. I don't have the talents of people like Bill Harr, or Ski3pin.

CamperCarl said:
CamperCarl
There have been numerous posts by people that have had small issues that FWC took care immediately. I would be surprised that they wouldn't get the fridge weatherstrip replaced for you. Unless I'm missing something in your post I didn't read that you had called FWC directly. Brenda should be able to get this addressed for you. When the lift mechanism was damaging the roof FWC sent out a plate to strengthen this area. I don't remember reading a post where FWC hasn't responded quickly to issues. There have been a couple of recent posts about a leaking front opening window. We will have to see how that plays out. If you haven't called Brenda please do. Good Luck. JD

You know that FWC reads this forum, and if enough folks ask for the same thing, they will be looking to see if they can reliably and profitably add it, or offer it as an option.

I bought a new FWC in 1997, and later bought a new FWC in 2014. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count all the things that I really like about my new one that I (in retrospect) had an issue with on the old one. Some of these changes I think were a direct result of owner requests and/or frequent owner mods - the internal and then, the later external lift struts are one example for sure.

One thing they're doing for me that's not even on the options list is raising the flexible vinyl material and hinged panels to an inside height of 6'9" as well as extending the length of the thermal pack. For this I am extremely grateful. I am 6'9" tall and by not having to duck every time I'm in there will be a momentous joyful experience. I have a smile wrapped around my head just thinking about it.

100acrehuphalump said:
One thing they're doing for me that's not even on the options list is raising the flexible vinyl material and hinged panels to an inside height of 6'9" as well as extending the length of the thermal pack. For this I am extremely grateful. I am 6'9" tall and by not having to duck every time I'm in there will be a momentous joyful experience. I have a smile wrapped around my head just thinking about it.
Nice

I have a full build Fleet with the roll-over couch option and upgrade on the stove/sink. The resulting flat surface is important for evening camera prep for the next day.

The layout works perfect for me. The only thing I would like to see is some kind of window in the front and rear lift panel areas. For some reason, I always seem to be parked in a way where it would be great to have windows in those two areas. But it just may not be possible from an engineering standpoint.

It would be handy if their were some made to size storage/organizer pouches/nets for the various open wall areas throughout the camper. Its hard to find things that fit just right. If there was a "Fleet organizer/storage kit" that was exactly sized for the 3 or 4 wall areas where they could go, I would buy it. There could be a kit for each FWC model as I assume they all have different sizes and numbers of potential areas.

I'd love to see storage under the bed.
They do it for the flatbed but not other models.
I've got a huge wish list beyond that, but how would I have any fun if I wasn't modifying it all the time myself?

Back
Top Bottom