Other types of campers?

OutbacKamper

This is primarily a question for Dirty Dog, but others may wish to chime in too:
Should Wander the West have a section for "other compact campers" (other than 4WC and ATC that is)?
I ask purely out of self interest since I have really enjoyed this forum as a 4WC owner, but now find myself moving on to a small hardside camper temporarily and eventually hope to have a hardside pop-up camper that a friend is developing for the same type of travel that the WtW members enjoy with their 4WC and ATC campers. Previously there have been posts about other campers, such as Sportsmobile, but in the 4WC section. I realize that this may not be the direction that you want to take this forum, and would completely understand if the answer is no.

Cheers
Mark

I would welcome other types of campers as long as they stay with the FWC/ATC theme. That is; rugged, light weight, made for true exploring. I would not want to see every suburban dad with a minivan and tent trailer on here posting about how to get the best T.V. reception while "camping"

Sam

I feel we should embrace anybody who wants to "Wander The West ". I think all the members of this forum love the outdoors. Love exploring, geology, history and just seeing new things. Plus it seems to be pretty much self regulating.
There is another forum (RV.Net) for the bring everything folks. I'm a member of that forum too. Good information there: To keep insects from moving into your refer, heater or water heater vents, place a pet flee collar in the area to repel bugs. So the more the merrier.

Cheers,

Mike

other campers

There are other types of campers out there?????:D Shame on them.

just rember K.I.S.S.

i would hate to see this great site turn into just another r.v.gab fest. if i want to learn about class a's, trailers etc there are plenty of other site's no problem with other links being listed as they do answer a lot of questions. back to K.I.S.S.(keep it simple s-----) just my thought on this. drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

i would hate to see this great site turn into just another r.v.gab fest.

I have to agree, but if something fits the ATC/FWC mold, I would welcome it. I think you run the risk of inviting conversations on adjusting your satellite tv contraption, etc. along with all the mobile homers. This site seems to endorse the true outdoors-person, where the MHers who seem to want to tow their whole house with them would not likely share so many of the same interests. They generally are not diverging far from the paved path (present company excluded of course). Not that there is something wrong with that, just that it could spoil the common spirit here. Just my $0.02.

I thought about it, but for the price, I'm better off with the second-hand one I found.

I briefly considered making a teardrop, but decided the lightweight TC better suited my wishes.

It would still be a fun project, if not a money saving one. ;)

If you have pictures of your build process, it would be interesting to see them, with descriptions...

DD,

Back to the other type of camper discussion. I've given this one a lot of thought and up to last week was willing to go along with the majority here and just not reply. However, last week after looking through a friend's Sun-Lite camper I realized that not many, if any, other camper types are going to have the same issues we have with FWC/ATC. His camper weighed 1,800# loaded and didn't do very well off road, etc. Let's stick to light weight aluminum frames for now, except for "homemade's" metal frame, it certainly deserves respect. Thanks.

DLN;

Thanks for the reply. I think this comment says it all: "I've given this one a lot of thought and up to last week was willing to go along with the majority here and just not reply. However..."

Good luck to all of you at Wander the West, it is a great site!

Cheers
Mark

OK, here is another alternative. I found this article on Truck Camper Magazine.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=242&Itemid=34

It is about the Coyote and Phoenix campers. They are an aluminum framed camper although they look to be slightly taller and heavier than the FWC.

“Robby’s father, Dave Rowe, started Four Wheel Campers in 1973 and for fifteen years the company sold pop-up truck campers under that name. Robby proudly shows a picture of one of his father’s original Four Wheel pop-up campers in his office.”

The campers can be seen here - http://www.phoenixcampers.com/

Attachments

• phoenix-fourwheel.jpg
    phoenix-fourwheel.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 817
  • phoenix-arialshot.jpg
    phoenix-arialshot.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 828
  • coyotewarrior.jpg
    coyotewarrior.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 828
  • coyotewigwam.jpg
    coyotewigwam.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 812
Jim,

Those are nice campers and do seem to fit the profile. We looked at Phoenix, along with quite a few others, last year before we decided on FWC. I don't remember them being aluminum framed at the time but they may have been.
The weight and price were the deciding factor for us. So...it looks like the question is still open. Thanks for the links.

Phoenix

Last time that I did any research on Phoenix, the aluminum frame was an option on the camper. It could be standard now. There is a lot of the story as to the history of FWC left out of the article though.

I had a customer years ago who bought a Phoenix and after two years came to FWC to buy a camper. Lets just say that the Phoenix does not hold up that well in the long run.

For more information on this subject, feel free to give me a call anytime.

I hope OutbacKamper doesnt leave the forum. He's made several valuable contributions and was here long before I got into it. I think there is something to be said for quality and longevity.

Mark,

I have to agree with Jay. I don't want to see valuable members fall out when they change campers. I think the spirit of the forum and quality of information is more important than the brand.

I hope my new camper still fits the mold....

It does not pop up but I can climb up...:confused: (Joke!) Brian

Attachments

• b019.jpg
    b019.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 929
This is primarily a question for Dirty Dog, but others may wish to chime in too:
Should Wander the West have a section for "other compact campers" (other than 4WC and ATC that is)?

Hi Mark,

Sorry but somehow I never noticed this thread. Actually my intention is to integrate more sections for different campers as interest and userbase allows. It's tough to start a new section if we don't have some active users to get that section started.

My immediate interests: Sportsmobile and Outfitter MFG. Any other suggestions would be welcome. I do want to stick to the lightweight or offroad-tough genre though - I think that is what makes this board unique.

Dirty Dog,
I agree with your direction of thought. The name of the forum, “Wander the West”, says a lot. There is a heritage going back to the California Oregon Trail. The early overland emigrants traveled in light farm wagons for the most part. Larger Conestoga style freight wagons were primarily used to support the Army and others who were more settled, professional traders, soldiers, established farmers. The Oregon Trail emigrants were amateurs traveling light. An even more extreme example of traveling light in the West was Mormon hand cart emigrants. They are us too. We wanderers of the west have little in common with Willy Nelson and his million dollar entertainer coach, though his song, “On the Road Again” is our anthem. John D.

Back
Top Bottom