Paralysis by Analysis on Ram 3500 vs. F-350

Durango1

I'm coming down to the wire on ordering either the F-350 or Ram 3500 Chassis Cab SRW in a regular cab configuration for my already ordered FWC Grandby Flatbed. I've driven and analyzed (too much!) both models and will order one of them in a gasser. Both seem to be good trucks and I've been happy with my 2012 Ram 2500 crewcab. (Chevy doesn't offer a SRW C & C.)

So my research tells me Dodge added a front axle disconnect in 2013 to their 3500 Rams. (And maybe the 2500's in 2014. My 2012 has a full time front end.) For those who are driving these Ram 3500 models please weigh in with your real world 4WD experience on the front end? Also your opinion in general of the late model 3500 Rams? :)

NOTE #1:We don't do super rock crawling but do get back in on moderate 4WD roads and all alone too. So reliability is paramount.

NOTE #2: I like the F-350's manual/automatic front hubs and the real electronic lockers. But I can't order a power seat in the Ford regular cab and Sioux has a hard time seeing over the steering wheel without it.

Many thanks in advance for this group's help.

Steve

Here's the current rig:
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:22034]

My biggest concern with Ford is the aluminum body: it hasn't been out long enough to know what problems it is going to have and it seems all auto manufacturers are relying on early adopters as beta testers. Ford has had problems in the past with paint adhering.

As to front axle, I have had no problems with my 2012 Ram 2500 4X4 (or 1996 1500 before it). Tire wear was even, I got 60,000 miles on the original tires (BFG Rugged Trail), I get a little better milage than my Ford and GM 'friends' (although this might be driving style, tires or how accurately they calculate MPG).

As to replacing the seats: make sure the power seats will fit into the Ford regular cab (there has to be a reason they are not offered in a regular cab). You can always use a phone book :D

jim

I did not know that Ford was using Aluminum in the 250-350.
Friend has Ram 2500 04 I believe. No problems with front end, it diesel and hits many back roads, tows big camper.
Best of luck with choice. Love the power seat/ pedel / steering column adjustment. Wife does also.

Russ

Being a betting man, I am betting you could analyze and discuss this to death, but the best choice will still be buying the truck you most want. I doubt six months after you own the truck, you will remember what you were worried about. My F350 gasser suits me fine, but I have nothing bad to say about the competitors. With both GM and Fiat Chrysler due for a redo this year, you may want to hold the phone to see what's cooking with those two. :)

I like ford but there are a lot of campers on Ram's these days.

My advice if you can't decide between the two is buy the one for the lowest price you can find by playing the dealers against each other...

I read in another post that you've already purchased your truck so congratulations.

I went with the F350 regular cab - for unknown reasons I just like Ford. Honestly, I have no idea why, I just prefer them. Lame I know but it kind of goes with what one of the previous writers posted up - buy what you like, drive it and have a good time- they're all great trucks.

Kind of funny but I purposefully bought an XL truck because I didn't want the carpet and all the chrome... not having the carpet on the floor is becoming my favorite feature of the truck. I live at the beach and get in it with sandy feet, now I just sweep the sand right out.

BTW - don't you just love reg. cabs?

paddlesurf.net said:
I read in another post that you've already purchased your truck so congratulations.

I went with the F350 regular cab - for unknown reasons I just like Ford. Honestly, I have no idea why, I just prefer them. Lame I know but it kind of goes with what one of the previous writers posted up - buy what you like, drive it and have a good time- they're all great trucks.

Kind of funny but I purposefully bought an XL truck because I didn't want the carpet and all the chrome... not having the carpet on the floor is becoming my favorite feature of the truck. I live at the beach and get in it with sandy feet, now I just sweep the sand right out.

BTW - don't you just love reg. cabs?

I just bought a 2017 F350 crew cab, XL trim, 4x4, 6.2 gas. I'm very partial to Ford, as I've had several Ford trucks, and all were trouble free. Dodge? A friend is on his second. Why he bought it, I have no idea, as the first was nothing but trouble, and he complained about it all the time. Whatever.

The real reason I wanted to comment was I bought the XL too. It does have cloth seats (mandatory), but it has the vinyl floor. There was an identical truck on the lot that had carpet. After we saw the vinyl, both my wife and I wanted it over the carpet. We've always had carpet with full Husky liners. The vinyl is so much better when you live on a dirt road, and use the truck extensively in the back country. Confession: I still bought Husky liners for the vinyl floor!

x3 on the XL with vinyl floor. Also have the husky liners. The seats always have custom seat covers anyway. Twice in the last week spilled a full cup of coffee in my other truck, carpet soaked with coffee, in MT, in the winter. Great. No more carpet.

just bought a 17 f-350 xl 6.7 extended cab. 8ft box.
its only has about 500 miles but so far very impressed.
tons of power.17 mpg on the unbroken in motor.
up next floor matts
seat cover
front bumper
mud flaps

will keep my 280k f-150 with north star for baja,central america trip.

Wango said:
x3 on the XL with vinyl floor. Also have the husky liners. The seats always have custom seat covers anyway. Twice in the last week spilled a full cup of coffee in my other truck, carpet soaked with coffee, in MT, in the winter. Great. No more carpet.
I'm really anal about my truck. I won't let anyone eat in it, and the only liquid allowed is water. I've taken quite a bit of "heat" for that rule.

Story:
Wife, I, and a long time friend and his wife were going to go somewhere in my truck. The friend has his big gulp. I said no way is that going in my truck (he knows that's my "rule"). He starts saying how he isn't going to spill it, blah, blah. I won't budge. His wife and mine say nothing, but know he has a "history" on this. So, he says we'll take his truck, and asks me to drive. I say okay. We aren't one mile down the road, and he dumps the big gulp of Pepsi all over himself, the seat, and the floor of his truck. Of course, the rest of us burst out in laughter! He never argued with that rule of mine again.

My FIL just replaced his ‘95 Dodge Cummins with a 2017 F-350 FX4 PS CC LB. Wow, what a truck! Cloth seats and vinyl floors on his, also. I helped him install the BW 5th wheel hitch in the bed. Ford really put some nice features into this truck. It has the factory removable pucks in the bed for super easy mounting of the hitch and both a 5th wheel 12v connection and camper 12v connection. Big question he has...how will the aluminum bed hold up to the weight of a Lance camper? He’ll use a rubber mat and a raised platform so that the overhang will clear the tall cab.

Congrats on the purchase!

jrwdlw, good story.
I think with new vehicles many strive, at the start, for the "no food or drink" rule, but alas, like the "no f**ting" rule don't always hold to it ...

I'm with you on vinyl floor covering - since '91 - and yes, use mats on top. Kinda funny to me that on a Ford site I frequent many of the new truck buyers are now praising vinyl. On that site it seems many of those folks are buying Platinum or other top trim levels and they have come to the conclusion that vinyl, rather than being cheap and not worthy of their highly optioned truck, is actually pretty functional.

I'd have vinyl seat coverings too if it was available with the XLT trim. Instead we had the cloth replaced with Katskin 'leather'. Let's face it, if going off-highway the interior is going to get dusty as well as prob wet and dirty. That's when carpet and cloth are not ideal.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
My FIL just replaced his ‘95 Dodge Cummins with a 2017 F-350 FX4 PS CC LB. Wow, what a truck! Cloth seats and vinyl floors on his, also. I helped him install the BW 5th wheel hitch in the bed. Ford really put some nice features into this truck. It has the factory removable pucks in the bed for super easy mounting of the hitch and both a 5th wheel 12v connection and camper 12v connection. Big question he has...how will the aluminum bed hold up to the weight of a Lance camper? He’ll use a rubber mat and a raised platform so that the overhang will clear the tall cab.

Congrats on the purchase!
Bed strength isn't the only thing I'm worried about. Here's something I missed in my research of the all aluminum 2017's. You need to be very careful how you attach anything to the aluminum body, or you're going to experience galvanic corrosion. It never occurred to me until after the purchase (doh!).

Here's a link (too large to attach) to Ford's SVE Service Bulletin regarding this. Definitely makes me wonder if I made a mistake. Of course, it's a little late now...

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-222R1.pdf

I have a different school of thought. I like carpet for cabin acoustics, warmth and comfort. No issue with cloth seats either. Pretty affordable to get seat covers and really not that difficult to remove dirty clothing or vacuum. I always install winter mats the day I get a vehicle and keep them in all year round. Normally that area and the sill plate are the only area that really get dirty.

With over 6000 hrs on my 2009 GMC neither myself or GF have spilled a drink. Knock on wood. If we do that's what Scotchgard is for. I use my air compressor to blow out underneath the seats when I give the truck a good seasonal vacuum. I recently purchased a 18E torx to remove the seats to give an unnecessary OCD cleaning underneath. Just waiting for a weekend above -4F to use it.

Respect to those of you that have a no food, no drink rule. I on the other hand really enjoy going for coffee and cruise with the GF in the truck. With no bad habits it's one of the simple thing we really enjoy in life.

klahanie said:
jrwdlw, good story.
I think with new vehicles many strive, at the start, for the "no food or drink" rule, but alas, like the "no f**ting" rule don't always hold to it ...

I'm with you on vinyl floor covering - since '91 - and yes, use mats on top. Kinda funny to me that on a Ford site I frequent many of the new truck buyers are now praising vinyl. On that site it seems many of those folks are buying Platinum or other top trim levels and they have come to the conclusion that vinyl, rather than being cheap and not worthy of their highly optioned truck, is actually pretty functional.

I'd have vinyl seat coverings too if it was available with the XLT trim. Instead we had the cloth replaced with Katskin 'leather'. Let's face it, if going off-highway the interior is going to get dusty as well as prob wet and dirty. That's when carpet and cloth are not ideal.
It seems years ago, vinyl floors in vehicles were really cheesy, didn't fit well, kind of wrinkly, etc.,. I have to say what Ford has in their trucks fits like a glove, and looks great. I draw the line at vinyl seats. Yes, they are good for wet and dirty conditions, but they are so hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. If I'm dirty, I cover the seat with a towel. Now that I think about that, a towel is pretty redneck. You've given me an idea. Maybe I'll look into some cheap vinyl seat covers I can keep in the cab, and slip on when necessary.

Bill D,

Really can't argue with anything you said, they're all valid points. Most importantly, you have to keep the GF happy! I will agree, you are a little OCD on the cleaning, and so am I. My F150 got full Husky liners the day I bought it. Shoes never touched the carpet in that truck. I know, I'm over the edge.

I never thought of using the air compressor. With a vinyl floor, I'll bet I can open all four doors, stand on the driver's side, and blow everything clean out the passenger's side!

jrwdlw said:
I never thought of using the air compressor. With a vinyl floor, I'll bet I can open all four doors, stand on the driver's side, and blow everything clean out the passenger's side!
It's pretty amazing how much crap you can blow out from under your seat, even if you keep your truck spotless.
I vacuum things up nice and then blow under the seats with the compressor. Then I vacuum up the crumbs that get blown out onto the previously clean carpet/floor. I do it 2 or three times until no more crumbs are blowing out. I have a regular cab, so I can't really blow thing right out the other side quite as easily as you will be able to.
I usually only do this 2 times a year. Before winter and again in the spring.

When my truck was less than a year old, my 10 year old son got carsick in the back seat-one of those "I don't feel good, can you ....". Too late. I really wished I had vinyl flooring then. Years later I removed the back seat to install a subwoofer (and clean). There was still dried up "stuff" on the carpet where it had spilled or dripped under. If I ever get a new truck I will get vinyl!

dharte said:
When my truck was less than a year old, my 10 year old son got carsick in the back seat-one of those "I don't feel good, can you ....". Too late. I really wished I had vinyl flooring then. Years later I removed the back seat to install a subwoofer (and clean). There was still dried up "stuff" on the carpet where it had spilled or dripped under. If I ever get a new truck I will get vinyl!
I'd take the Pepsi over that any day!

Back
Top Bottom