Picked up a Project (90's Granby)

BBZ

I have been looking for a project, really wanted an old beat up FWC so I could gut it and start from scratch.

I picked up a Granby in Cheyenne yesterday and it sure is a project.. Already have it half gutted. camper (003).jpg

NICE!

I had as much fun building mine out as using it (almost :p ). +1 on letting us in on your plans.

jim

Well.. not exactly sure yet. We have an 81-82 Fleet as well. It was also gutted and redone before I bought it, very simple design.. The Granby is a little bigger and we would like to be able to have a little more room as there are at least 2 of us and 2 dogs. Probably going to do something similar to the Fleet (all appliances were removed, just camp stove in or out, Gas buddy for heat (we are fair weather campers anyhow).. Would like to keep it as light as possible.

Going to have to get some welding done, that is already obvious.. Siding is decent, except the front.. Door is going to need some love..

BBZ,

Just wanted to wish you well on your rebuild. Looks like its in reasonably good shape to start with. Enjoy the process, I hope your plans come together nicely. For some of us, part of the enjoyment is in brining an old camper back to life and service, besides eventually getting to use it. Let me know if theres any way I can be of help.

Poky

PokyBro said:
BBZ,

Just wanted to wish you well on your rebuild. Looks like its in reasonably good shape to start with. Enjoy the process, I hope your plans come together nicely. For some of us, part of the enjoyment is in brining an old camper back to life and service, besides eventually getting to use it. Let me know if theres any way I can be of help.

Poky

Thanks Poky.. I have it all about gutted.. its in decent? shape maybe.. not sure what to expect, but certainly going to enjoy the process. I will have to find a welder as the 3 pieces in the front are broken, the rest looks fine.

Anyone know where to find the outside trim for corners? I am going to need a good amount of that..

I am sure I will have a million questions....

Put up a picture of the trim you need. I have some laying around. Obviously I'd have to ship it, so give me the length of each piece, as the shorter the package, the cheaper to ship. I was thinking you need the upper body trim, maybe you mean the plain trim on the floor tub.

shellback said:
Put up a picture of the trim you need. I have some laying around. Obviously I'd have to ship it, so give me the length of each piece, as the shorter the package, the cheaper to ship. I was thinking you need the upper body trim, maybe you mean the plain trim on the floor tub.
Thanks, I will snap a pic and get some measurements.. not sure the name of it, corner trim on outside..

I was thinking.. and maybe it already exists.. is there a thread that catalogs parts we all might need for a rebuild process? Would be nice to have a list of parts and where people found them. I am going to need a lot of parts...

This is the trim I am looking for.. biggest pieces are 48 inches .. other pieces total out to another 8 feet .. 16 feet total

Attachments

• IMG_20180311_105722.jpg
    IMG_20180311_105722.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 208
Where exactly is that trim piece? On my 79 Grandby, everything above the floor tub has trim pieces that accept a vinyl insert to cover the screws. The bottom of the siding, each vertical corner, and the top of the siding. The trim on the floor tub was just plain 90 degree angle aluminum. I used .060 painted aluminum sheared to size and then bent to a 90 angle. I resided my camper with all smooth surface .030 aluminum.

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 206
So if it's plain 90 degree aluminum, how wide is each side of the bend? I just checked, on the plain white aluminum angle, I have a piece 66"s and a piece 76"s. They are 1 1/2 " wide on each side of the bend.

BBZ,

Living in Golden Colorado, you are fortunate to live close to a business that keeps metal trim on hand for sale to the public. They should have pretty much anything you need. I straightened as much of my trim pieces as possible and repainted them with white Rustolium enamel. I purchased some of the flat pieces you’re showing in the picture, at The Metal Compay (linked below), which I used around the floor pack areas. It’s actually what the new campers use. I still need a few more pieces when I can get back there. Stop by when you’re in the Arvada area and check them out. I also bought all my new siding from them.

http://www.themetalcompany.com

In case you aren’t familiar with it yet, here is my build link:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/12116-new-build-1981-grandby-to-become-a-hawk/

Poky

PokyBro said:
BBZ,

Living in Golden Colorado, you are fortunate to live close to a business that keeps metal trim on hand for sale to the public. They should have pretty much anything you need. I straightened as much of my trim pieces as possible and repainted them with white Rustolium enamel. I purchased some of the flat pieces you’re showing in the picture, at The Metal Compay (linked below), which I used around the floor pack areas. It’s actually what the new campers use. I still need a few more pieces when I can get back there. Stop by when you’re in the Arvada area and check them out. I also bought all my new siding from them.

http://www.themetalcompany.com

Poky
Wow.. great, thanks for the info.. we be there tomorrow probably..

BBZ said:
Where does one find aluminum angle? . . .
Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's, larger hardware and ranch stores carry a small supply, usually 1/2" and 1" aluminum angle in 4', 6', & 8' lengths. And any metal supply house will have a large selection.

"I am going to need more tools!" - You sound like that is a bad thing :p

jim

Ha.. I had a couple moments of "what have I gotten myself into".. but had a solid first weekend.. totally gutted (minus the ceiling will wait until it off) at this point and wife was kind enough to pull all the staples today and clean it up a bit. Now the fun part I think..

Trying to decide if I need to rebuild the floor pack or not..

Anyone know a welder in the Denver area that makes house calls??

Back
Top Bottom