Pondering. Work to take camper on/off

searching for nowhere

I love my trailer that I can take to a place to camp and explore during the off season. But now that I'm retired, it means that I may want to take road trips which are more suitable to a camper or go camping during the summer when shelter isn't as important. It has gotten me to ponder getting a ATC or FWC shell. How hard/easy is it to remove the camper and install the camper? I don't want to leave the camper on full time.

Thanks for any thoughts. I leave for a trip to Montana this Saturday, so I may be slow with any responses after that.

It's a lot easier if you have a flat, level spot to load and unload it, preferably a hard surface. And a convenient place to store camper while not mounted - best if it's the same place as loading.

And easier if you are willing to leave the loading jacks on full time.

I just unloaded my camper from the truck. It took about an hour including putting the jacks on and then lowering onto the dolly. I did it by myself. Loading takes a bit longer and I always have my wife help me insure that I'm lined up properly. Like anything else, the more you do it, the easier it gets. Putting the jacks on or taking them off takes about 10-15 minutes of that time for me.

Alan

The first couple of times it will appear daunting and a challenge. Take your time. It will get easier. It is much easier, as stated above, if you have a level and hard surface to load and unload on.

The Lady has been helping a friend with backing up and hooking up her travel trailer. The Lady thinks that is a hard chore. It is new to her. She has helped countless times with loading/unloading our camper.

You are a seasoned traveler. I think you would do fine.

Like Ski3pin said, it grows easier after the first few times. The secret is to take it slow and check often. A common method that helps is to mark the centerline of the bed, and the camper to line things up as you back down. I concur with the time estimate from Alan.

You can’t fake experience just do it a few times and you’ll be a pro! Remember to stop short and plug into the truck electrical before you tighten the turnbuckles Ask me how I know

Thanks everyone. I have a level spot to store it on, the garage apron. One side of my garage is full of tools and will never be used to park a vehicle inside.

Hum, I'll keep pondering. It seems kind of decadent to me to have both a travel trailer and a camper. But if I could find a used shell, I might talk myself into it.

And a teaser: My up coming trip to Montana will be different than all my past trips... Blog posts will explain, but due to the lack of internet connection it most likely will be a couple of weeks before there are any posts.

searching for nowhere said:
I love my trailer that I can take to a place to camp and explore during the off season. But now that I'm retired, it means that I may want to take road trips which are more suitable to a camper or go camping during the summer when shelter isn't as important. It has gotten me to ponder getting a ATC or FWC shell. How hard/easy is it to remove the camper and install the camper? I don't want to leave the camper on full time.

Thanks for any thoughts. I leave for a trip to Montana this Saturday, so I may be slow with any responses after that.
The more you do it the easier it becomes. We do it in about 20 minutes +/- . My wife spots for me.

Back
Top Bottom