Pop-Up Rally -- AZ 2008

ScottBailey

The Pop-Up Bowl has spawned some interest in a rally...

Helpful, yet lazy guy that I am, I'll do some planning, but only if it's easy for me to get to the location.

Here is my proposal.
  • A site less than 3.5 hours drive of Phoenix, Arizona
  • Friday October 24 through Sunday October 26
  • A location with daytime averages in the 65-75 range
  • A campsite on national forest land that I/we can reserve, or...
  • ...someone to suggest and scout an amazing boondock site.
This date is the most realistic for me, but still provides some risk as I know I have some upcoming work related travel. Can't help that, yet.

If I get 3-4 serious takers, I'll see if I can reserve a national forest group camp site. Could be tough at this late date.

SB

Pepper Sauce here in the Catalinas. Roosevelt lake.
The Kofas are nice and you dont need a reservation. Its close to the CA border too.

Are you number two?

Jay,

If I'm the first to commit, are you number two?

Kofa seems interesting, especially if that enticed some CA residents...

I'm ready

Hi, newcomer oldnslow here. I've not posted before. I live in Tucson with a GMC 2500 and FWC Hawk shell. I'm definitely up for a pop-up bowl if its within a days drive of Tucson.

Right now I'm busy the morning of the 24th, but free the rest of the weekend... I'll run it by my better half and see what she thinks. We can be there to represent the young whippersnappers.

Hard Location/Date

I have tentatively reserved the Tonto National Forrest Kellner Group site:
  • arriving Friday October 24,
  • departing Sunday October 26.
According to the Tonto National Forrest site:
  • This site is shaded with large sycamore and Arizona white oak.
  • A scenic riparian area with a small stream that runs through the site except in the dryer months
  • This small, quaint site was originally constructed in 1940 and features rock walls and terraces.
  • elevation 4,500 feet
  • 8 picnic units with tables & grills
  • 1 vault toilet
  • max occupancy: 25
Distance (according to Google Maps)
  • 1 hour 41 minutes from Phoenix
  • 2 hours 33 minutes from Tucson
  • 9 hours 1 min from Bakersfield, CA
  • 6 hours 28 mins from Riverside, CA
  • 6 hours 12 mins from Albuquerque, NM
Rough guesstimate of average temps:
  • high: 70 degrees,
  • low: 40 degrees.
To make this happen we'll need a secondary organizer, in case I'm unavailable (work, ugh), and, maybe, a couple more hard commitments...

Wish I could. Too far with my limited funds at this time :(

Hmm, should be a raise on my next check, have to see how generous it is.

Looks like that is right outside of Globe, AZ, about 4+ from me. I am going to take my newly aquired Grandby to Lake Roberts in the Gila Forest North of Silver City, NM the last weekend of the month.

I'm planning on being in UT that week, but if weather or some other reason sends me south, I'll be dropping in.

Specific Location Info

Scott can you give more specific info on the location? TNF is a very big area. Thanks
Sure! Here are some useful links:
Essentially, this is about 15 minutes south west (ish) of Globe. It's called a picnic site, but the ranger district site lists 5 camp sites, and they confirm camping on the phone.

I've never been to this site. It might suck. Google Maps/Earth shows it fairly well: west of the site shows scrub bushes/trees up the hillside and east is larger trees along the creek/wash.

I prefer more remote sites, BUT this site has a toilet (for the wives) and is, I believe, easy to find...

I'd love to go. Unfortunately I am going to be covering events through October 15th, in the LA office after that, and then flying down to AZ in November for Turkey Day. Just too booked up this year DARN IT!

We'll have to start making a tradition of this though and you can bet I'll be there in the future. Get some good pics you guys!

I have heard it is a nice area but have never been there.I have friday off and will try to check out the place.

Pam and I are planning to be there. Its about 2 hours from here up the 77.

When do you think you will be heading up??? Hawk FWC toting Dodge Caravan...

Kyle,
I'm thinking Satruday but I'm not sure. I'm trying to fly my mom out on the 16th. Nothing is confirmed yet but I'll have a better idea in a week.

In the meantime we're going to a bicycle race in Buckeye this coming Saturday. It shoud be fun.

Now I'm going to see why my check engine light just came on. Wish me luck.

So what was the result of CEL? I have a scanguage that should be able to read the code if you need it.

Kyle

Back
Top Bottom