Project Shoal Nevada - April 2016

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Why stay home on a beautiful spring weekend? The truck and camper are usually ready to go, just cool down the fridge and add some fresh food. Nevada is such a great place to explore and explore we did. The story of our quick trip is up on our blog and you are welcome to come along -

Project Shoal Nevada - April 2016

Hope you find it fun! :)

I don't know how you guys find these places, but I sure enjoy the ride along :D -------thanks! For people who just think of Nevada/Great Basin and the drive up 50 as nothing but sagebrush and salt flats with nothing to see or do---keep believing it and let us enjoy our world :love: !

Smoke

Great story telling about our "Atomic past" that has a very interesting future for all of us.
I remember early/mid 50s in grade school, for the "duck and cover" drills.
Now they seem so not very safe.
After all what protection can a school desk give from the "big one".
I liked the 'Gravity Control" marker,I always wondered where gravity was controlled from,
now we know thanks to your trip.
Thanks for another ride along.
Frank

I grew up a mere 40 miles from the first atomic blast at Trinity Site (White Sands Missile Range, NM). I had the privilege of a private tour of the site, which is only open to the public 2x/year. It was incredibly interesting.

Also, just an "FYI," be careful in the mid summer and late fall around those guzzlers as a few illegal marijuana growers have found ways to tap into the remote water sources and they can be very violent. One such grow is currently suspected near a guzzler in Esmeralda Co., NV, near Lida, NV.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Great story telling about our "Atomic past" that has a very interesting future for all of us.
I remember early/mid 50s in grade school, for the "duck and cover" drills.
Now they seem so not very safe.
After all what protection can a school desk give from the "big one".
I liked the 'Gravity Control" marker,I always wondered where gravity was controlled from,
now we know thanks to your trip.
Thanks for another ride along.
Frank
Frank, I remember those desk drills and a few marches down into the boiler room in the basement of the school too. Crazy times.

Ski- thanks for the reports on your adventures. I always enjoy them. This one brought childhood memories to life again.

All, thank you again for your kind comments. It is amazing what is out there to discover. It makes us feel like kids again - not that we need much help with that. :)

Smokecreek1 said:
..................................................... For people who just think of Nevada/Great Basin and the drive up 50 as nothing but sagebrush and salt flats with nothing to see or do---keep believing it and let us enjoy our world :love: !

Smoke
You bet, Smoke! I'm not much into hand holding insofar as maps or directions to the places we visit. Navigation, preparation, survival are skills we all need to hone and practice. I try to give enough clues so that the seasoned traveler can get close. The planning and journey should be just as much fun as reaching the destination. And as many of you suspect, there is much good stuff and locations I never write about.

Nevada, what a place.

Thanks all for enjoying our wanders! :)

My wife grew up in eastern WA. She remembers her town being packed up and abandonded after a oopsie mistake during the Atomic Bomb development days. Her dad was a engineer and managed the building of one of the reactors in the tri cities area. He went on to be head of reactor maint for Detroit Edison. Facinating career and pretty amazing experience. He passed away suddenly last month here locally with his family by his side. That era was pretty wild regarding the research and learning curve around Nuk power.

CALIcamperdad said:
My wife grew up in eastern WA. She remembers her town being packed up and abandonded after a oopsie mistake during the Atomic Bomb development days. Her dad was a engineer and managed the building of one of the reactors in the tri cities area. He went on to be head of reactor maint for Detroit Edison. Facinating career and pretty amazing experience. He passed away suddenly last month here locally with his family by his side. That era was pretty wild regarding the research and learning curve around Nuk power.
Condolences both to you and your wife on the loss of your father-in-law.

My Dad's twin brother, my uncle Jim, worked at Hanford during the war years. Never talked about it. Those were amazing and wild times, as you say. Thanks for the comments.

Back
Top Bottom