Pros and Cons of Work Trucks?

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member
I have bought a used Hawk and now need a truck for it. I would like to buy a new truck to take advantage of the warranty and the fewer mechanical headaches that (usually) go with a new vehicle.

What are the pros and cons of buying a new work truck as opposed to a conventional "consumer-oriented" truck with its expensive upholstery, aluminum hubcaps, elaborate bumpers, multiple gadgets, etc.?

I don't need a lot of gadgets and expensive trim, so a work truck seems appealing to this newbie. Any comments or suggestions? If I decide to go with a work truck, what optional features/equipment should I order to make the work truck functional and reasonably comfortable?

So far, I have been looking at a few Chevy Silverado 2500 HDs.

I'm not sure what you mean by a work truck. Are you just asking what options are important/unimportant when buying a truck?

Ace! said:
I'm not sure what you mean by a work truck. Are you just asking what options are important/unimportant when buying a truck?
From what I have read in dealers' ads, truck dealers sell two kinds of vehicles: (1) the "regular" trucks loaded with affluent optional features such as expensive cloth and leather upholstery, elaborate hubcaps, chrome bumpers, sirius radio connections, etc. and (2) minimal stripped-down vehicles advertised as "work trucks," aimed at the commercial market for repairmen, welders, and commercial trailer haulers.Usually they only come in one color - white.

For example, a work truck has rubber mats on the floor, while the "regular" consumer-oriented truck has expensive upholstered carpets.

So if I go to a work truck, yes, I would be interested in knowing what ad-on options are desirable for making it more comfortable and functional.

Most of the "work trucks" that I see friends own and drive are the top of the line models. They spend a lot of time in them and they want to be comfortable.

I commend you for doing your homework, consider options, and try to ferret out what will suit your needs and budget.

Good newer trucks that have been well maintained last a long time. Don't give up on used trucks. Keep your options open.

The biggest issue I see down the road with buying a new truck with very few options is resale value. Come time when you are moving up the truck food chain, a limited option truck will be harder to sell and have much less resale value.

When I ordered my Ford, I had access to a lot of info on option costs, etc. via their plan for stockholders. At that time, one could option up the cheapest model (XL) with everything that the next model had (XLT), and get it for $1500 less. The four differences were, I have a black plastic grill instead of a chrome plastic grill, painted steel wheels instead of chrome steel wheels, rubber floor covering instead of carpet floor covering, and I don't have two plastic 'X's on the fenders. Other than the floor covering (which I preferred), the other three things aren't apparent when you are driving, which is what I bought a vehicle to do.

Today, the higher end vehicle model have a significant premium dollar amount associated with the electronic (entertainment) features that come on the highly-optioned models, which also happen to be the items that become obsolete the soonest, have the highest number of warranty issues associated with them, and have the highest margin for the seller.

I'd say that a 'work truck' works fine, if you don't need, or are unwilling to pay for, cosmetic and entertainment features that are fun and look nice.

Thanks for clarifying. I don't make a distinction (neither do the dealers, unless it's a marketing gimmick), as a truck is a just a truck, but I get your point. I have a Ford Super Duty as a personal vehicle and also bought one for work. I am responsible for a two GMCs and two Ford trucks, from 1/2-ton to F550.

As a consumer, you can buy the stripped down model or the high-end model. It's just a matter of what boxes you check when ordering. Most dealers want to sell what is on the lot, but if you push them, they'll order the truck you want (depending on time of year).

For me, the stripped down model would be my choice, hands down. I won't tell you what is best, unless you PM me, but it's just a matter of what options you want. I think you'll want cruise control and power windows. The biggest complaint I get about our stripped down models is having to slide across the seat (vinyl bench) to roll down a window. Manual door locks is probably the next biggest complaint. You'll want cruise if you drive more than in-town. Other than that, most of the options are so personal in nature it's got to be your decision.

One of the things to consider with a stripped down model is the wheels. They will typically have the smallest wheels available (same rating, but physically smaller). If you want to put larger tires on the truck, make sure they make the tire you want for that width or size wheel (7", 7.5", 8").

I got the stripped down version (white also) but it was never referred to as a "work" truck. I couldn't afford all the bells and whistles. I prefer the manual transfer case shifter. I can lock my own doors. I definitely preferred the 17" wheel over 19" "upgrade" wheels. I kind of wish I had power windows just for the dog. Cruise control would have been nice too. The rest I don't miss.

My two cents. Toyota makes what they call a work truck. It is basic. And I have never sit down an talk to them about it.

I was thinking about it and I think it was Chev/GM that had a W/T trim level, but it was just that, another trim level. It's not unlike the XL of the Ford of the SXT of the Dodge.

I've peaked in a few Chevy WT HD windows lately and they look pretty darn good. A lot of the work trucks these days actually have the power locks and windows as well, plus a rubber floor to wipe down compared to my rubber mats over my carpet that gets dirty seems like a plus. I have a limited budget to buy an HD but if I buy a WT HD I'm getting the power and payload that I'm actually looking for at a better price.

Also as mentioned resale value but if you take care of your truck and shop around for the best deal it won't hurt that much, also the bells and whistles can be added on later by yourself

Are work trucks more likely to be in single cab configuration vs crew cab?

srileo said:
Are work trucks more likely to be in single cab configuration vs crew cab?
I've been looking at Chevy Silverado 2500HDs, and they mostly come with crew cabs and double cabs. Also, with regard to available colors, the large majority of work trucks come only in white.

We have a number of private fire crews that purchase stripped down trucks. They buy grey crew cabs.

LiveLifeNow said:
I've been looking at Chevy Silverado 2500HDs, and they mostly come with crew cabs and double cabs. Also, with regard to available colors, the large majority of work trucks come only in white.
what year 2500HD are you looking at? I just bought a 2002 with 8.1L and Allison. Love it

Vic Harder said:
what year 2500HD are you looking at? I just bought a 2002 with 8.1L and Allison. Love it
I am buying a 2016 6.0 Liter gas model. After considering used Siverados, I decided to splurge a bit and buy new, taking advantage of the warranties to let the Chevy dealers worry about any mechanical problems, not to mention the free Road Assistance option. (They will even drive out to where you are to fix a flat??!!)

I considered buying a 1/2 ton then went with a 3/4 ton, mostly for safety reasons. The mpg will be higher in a 3/4 ton, but I can handle it financially.

I am in my mid-60s, just recovered (hopefully) from a serious illness and decided, what the hell, why sit at home when I can hit the road and see the vast areas of this beautiful North American continent which I have never seen?

In a few weeks I will have my used Hawk installed, and then I am out the door. Yee haw!!!

Work Truck options?

Cruise control, A/C, Tilt wheel
At my place of employment we buy through fleet programs almost exclusively and that's how we option them. That option set usually gets you power door locks too, but not always. According to our fleet mgr. it's those features that also make the difference come resale time. In my experience the work truck trim usually comes tow package equipped as standard too. Both my professional vehicle, a four door crew cab, and my big personal pickup are fleet sourced and do me just fine. IMO a lot of trim level is just that, "Trim" if you can deal with bland looks, vinyl and rubber vs cloth and carpet and are more interested it what your truck is equipped to do rather than how it looks then a WT truck should be fine. In all fairness my current job truck did come with cloth seats both front and rear. I didn't choose them, it's just how it showed up.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

LiveLifeNow said:
I am buying a 2016 6.0 Liter gas model.
I am in my mid-60s, just recovered (hopefully) from a serious illness and decided, what the hell, why sit at home when I can hit the road and see the vast areas of this beautiful North American continent which I have never seen?

In a few weeks I will have my used Hawk installed, and then I am out the door. Yee haw!!!
Good for you! I'm glad you are feeling better. Honestly, I don't think there is any better medicine than getting outdoors, getting exercise at your pace and listening to your body.
I'm glad you now have the opportunity to discover places you have never seen. Another thing that keeps us living and feeling alive.

I like your member name "LiveLifeNow". No matter what age we are that's a great rule to live by.

Back on topic... What sort of trim level did you get with your new truck. Hopefully you start a thread and post pics of your truck and FWC. A great point of discussion would be 3/4T WT vs 1/2T with options.

15 years ago, I worked in new truck sales (Dodge dealer). I recall the features on the unit that was advertised in the news paper "1/2 tons starting from..." I didn't even know you could trucks THIS basic.
6 cylinder
Vinyl bench seat
Steel wheels
No radio
No antennae for the radio (just a plug in the body of the truck to fill the hole)
Manual transmission
Rubber floor
No rear bumper

The only feature I can recall was tilt steering

That being said, many of us customize our trucks and something like this can be a great platform to start with.
I'd love to have a custom bumper with a built in step along with the ability to tow etc, etc.

We special ordered a "work truck" or base trim. We wanted a regular cab long bed for our 8' Granby for maximum living space (Granby) and shortest wheel base (reg cab). We optioned cruise control, trailer tow package, cloth seats, V-8, and payload package (8200 gvwr up from 7200lb). The only thing we miss is window tint to reduce solar heating. Love the vinyl floor for easy sweep out. Love the hand crank windows since I hate putting the key in the switch to move the windows. Trading low trim or work trucks will cost you a few dollars. High trim/low mile vehicles trade best.

Back
Top Bottom