Pulling a trailer while carrying a FWC

full

Probably one of the more unusual uses for FWC and trailer. I use this particular set up for clean up scuba diving events in our lakes. It's a pretty big trailer and we haul some heavy dive equipment around, plus the garbage afterwards. I definitely notice the gas milage taking a hit but when the trailer is off, I hardly notice it.

I pull 90% of the time. I bring my utv and me and my son go ridding that around. ImageUploadedByWander The West1448861313.977176.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1448861328.001191.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

My wife and I both kayak and we're not too excited about lifting both yaks up on the roof so we are looking at trailers that will also allow us to store a few additional items without being too heavy....

The quest continues...

smlobx said:
My wife and I both kayak and we're not too excited about lifting both yaks up on the roof so we are looking at trailers that will also allow us to store a few additional items without being too heavy....

The quest continues...
Take a look at the Space Trailer. I have one I use with my Outfitter. I'll be dragging it to Alaska this coming summer.

So, I'm thinking of putting a Grandby on a 6.5-foot bed with the tailgate down. Occasionally I may want to tow a trailer (boat or utility). Anybody out there doing something like this? Just wondering how much hassle dealing with the trailer might be.

Atlin said:
So, I'm thinking of putting a Grandby on a 6.5-foot bed with the tailgate down. Occasionally I may want to tow a trailer (boat or utility). Anybody out there doing something like this? Just wondering how much hassle dealing with the trailer might be.
People with big hard side campers do it all the time, using a hitch extension. An extension does reduce the amount of tongue weight and load you can tow, so it's important to know those weights before you buy. The longer the stretch, the less you can safely handle.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
People with big hard side campers do it all the time, using a hitch extension. An extension does reduce the amount of tongue weight and load you can tow, so it's important to know those weights before you buy the extension. The longer the stretch, the less you can safely handle.
Some of then may be overdoing it a little
truck_camper.png

Atlin said:
You'll want to look into a Superhitch made by Torklift. They have hitches and extensions that will handle what you want to do and what's in the above photo's. Cheap is what it's not but there are not many choices. Once you're set up there is no hassle, just hook up to it and go.

Atlin said:
I used this one from Reese because when i was shopping it seemed to be the only one that would get me the 18" of extension. Pulled a vintage travel trailer from Twin Falls, ID to las Vegas with it and didn't have any issues.

This followed me home on Sunday.....
gallery_5386_934_867142.jpg

It's about a 4x6 box 30" tall with barn doors on the back sitting on an old military trailer. It seems that for two people the truck is normally about perfect size wise, when three go it starts becoming a hassle moving gear from the camper to the cab and back and with four people there is no choice but to move stuff back and forth. Hope this will alleviate some of that hassle. At some point will probably have a receiver added to the back of it for my Yakima SwingDaddy bike rack.

I am 'going to school' on all these posts and will eventually buy a trailer for extended trips..

I do have a suggestion.

If possible could folks who post list the vehicle they are towing with, the type of camper and the brand/model of the trailer.

That would help with decision making for those of us without trailers but who are considering one.

Thanks!

Phil

rfg said:
Take a look at the Space Trailer. I have one I use with my Outfitter. I'll be dragging it to Alaska this coming summer.
rfg we have looked at the space trailer and it is on our short list. I have some concerns as to its durability when going on a long trip like you'll be doing going to Alaska. Please keep us posted on how the Space trailer is working out for you and if you have any pictures of your loaded set up please post them.
Thanks!

smlobx said:
rfg we have looked at the space trailer and it is on our short list. I have some concerns as to its durability when going on a long trip like you'll be doing going to Alaska. Please keep us posted on how the Space trailer is working out for you and if you have any pictures of your loaded set up please post them.
Thanks!
Sorry but I don't have any photos at this time and won't have any until we're preparing to leave for Alaska.

We purchased the trailer after our first few trips with the camper. While I found that I could fit everything we needed in the camper and the back seat I quickly got tired of doing the hokey pokey all the time. Unload the camper and put things in the truck so you can use the camper. Unload the truck and reload the camper so you can break camp. Now it's a matter of stopping and raising the roof and the camper is ready to use. I find it convenient and it helps me keep things organized.

We did a 2600 mile trip with it this past summer without any problems. I wouldn't want to do any off road travel with it but I'm pretty confident it will handle all that we'll be doing in Alaska.

I typically tow a two spot snowmobile trailer. Worked good till I hit a massive pothole. Truck handled it fine but the trailer didn't. After breaking an axle I am very cautious about where I go with a trailer.

Attachments

• 20160101_084720.jpg
    20160101_084720.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 188
Wallowa said:
Rig,

Did you get the 15" wheel option on the Space Trailer?

Thanks...Phil
Yes, I should've mentioned that. The availability of the 15" wheels was a major selling point for me.

My favorite aluminum trailer is an Aluma 5x8. It hauls 2 cycles or 1 ATV, is built really stout, and can be used with or without the ramp. It has 14" wheels and weighs a little over 300 pounds. I will use it behind the tundra/grandby.

Here is my set up. Need some helper bags in the rear. The angle is. Or as bad when it's in level ground. The concrete pad adds extra angle. And still under GVW. ImageUploadedByWander The West1454027040.096314.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom