Random FWC Photos

Ran away this past weekend cruising Highway 395. Took this shot in camp at the Alabama Hills.
gallery_176_163_34730.jpg

Ran away this past weekend cruising Highway 395. Took this shot in camp at the Alabama Hills.
gallery_176_163_34730.jpg

Bummer the Alpenglow display was so weak...
biggrin.gif
Sheeesh!

4 cyl, 5 speed manual trans, and I don't drive fast, and I monitor fuel consump realtime with a Scangauge II. That way I know when I'm being "fuelish".
It is depressing to see how much gas I use going up grades but fun to see 999 mpg on the downgrades. ;-)

If I could just figure out how to drive downhill all the time it would be great.

When the time comes to replace our truck, I have been thinking about the 4cyl with a manual trans. Your fuel milage is very intriguing. Toyota's posted milage numbers for the four cyl are a bit discouraging. Is your Eagle a shell model or a fully outfitted model (stove, refer., furnace, etc)? We took a trip very similar to yours last July/August in our 06 Tacoma with a 6 cyl and auto trans. and a pretty completely outfitted ATC Bobcat, and averaged 16.25 mpg. I am not complaining about that milage, but getting north of 20 mpg is very appealling, especially with gas prices on the rise! By the way, was the photo you posted earlier in this thread taken in the parking lot of the Tombstone National Park visitor's center?

When the time comes to replace our truck, I have been thinking about the 4cyl with a manual trans. Your fuel milage is very intriguing. Toyota's posted milage numbers for the four cyl are a bit discouraging. Is your Eagle a shell model or a fully outfitted model (stove, refer., furnace, etc)? We took a trip very similar to yours last July/August in our 06 Tacoma with a 6 cyl and auto trans. and a pretty completely outfitted ATC Bobcat, and averaged 16.25 mpg. I am not complaining about that milage, but getting north of 20 mpg is very appealling, especially with gas prices on the rise! By the way, was the photo you posted earlier in this thread taken in the parking lot of the Tombstone National Park visitor's center?

Yes, that was in the new and nearly completed parking area for the Interpretive Center.

We're headed back up that way, via the Cassiar Hwy thru BC this time, in mid-May. We'll be doing another mileage log to see if we fouled up the numbers from the last trip.

The Eagle had cabinets, cooktop, and refrigerator but no furnace, water heater, or water pump. We tried to keep total weight down but lots of light stuff still makes for a heavy backpack if you now what I mean.

I'll be adding some kind of fairing to the front of the camper based on some of the ideas discussed elsewhere. May help mileage and noise.

JM

It's a 2001 Ranger on a 2000 4 cylinder Tacoma. Later that day I climbed on top and swept off about 8 inches of cold light snow with no problems.

It's a 2001 Ranger on a 2000 4 cylinder Tacoma. Later that day I climbed on top and swept off about 8 inches of cold light snow with no problems.

So, I'm curious about your snow removal method. How do you climb up there? Do you have the steps on back? Do you carry a broom or just have long arms? ;)

So, I'm curious about your snow removal method. How do you climb up there? Do you have the steps on back? Do you carry a broom or just have long arms? ;)

I have steps on the back. I just climbed up and swept it off with a broom. There was quite a bit of flex on the canvas walls, but it held up...

The top photo was taken on a track off of Whitehorse Ranch Rd several miles past the Whitehorse Ranch. The intent was to get up to the Oregon Canyon Overlook. However, I think we took a wrong turn. We turned back at the spot the photo was taken, about 10 miles up from Whitehorse Ranch Rd. In the distance you can see Steens Mountain.

The 2nd photo is on Hart Mountain Antelope Refuge on a track off Rock Creek Rd., about 5 miles NE of the refuge headquarters. We parked in small ancient lake bed and hiked over to an nice overlook of Rock Creek.

Both photos taken in July.

Can't get enough of SE Oregon.

TK

Back
Top Bottom