Real Life In the Winter Backcountry

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
I taught avalanche awareness/rescue for years and am now happily enjoying retirement. As much as we may grouse about technology and social media, the production of well done and sobering videos such as this incident from our backyard is a great resource to catch the attention of members of the new generation. Be safe out there.

Great video. I recommend anyone going to the winter backcountry, regardless of mode, go through Circle A (avalanche) training, plus carry rescue equipment (beacons, shovels, probes) and know how to use them. If it’s been a while since you’ve been through training, a refresher course isn’t a bad idea,

Thank you, Mr. 3Pin

Chilling, just chilling. I once watched a small inbounds “slough off” on a relatively gentle slope. I was amazed at the amount of debris it carried...rocks, small saplings, etc. I can’t imagine being caught up in something like that. So glad to see it was a prepared group to the rescue.

This link has good information about slab avalanches, including which slope angles (25 to 60 degrees) are most likely to let go. Less than 25°, it’s generally to shallow to slide, greater than 60° there is less chance of a build up that can slide.

Back
Top Bottom