Recommendation on DC fridge size

lzpup

Advanced Member
Hello,
Looking for a recommendation on DC fridge size, mostly doing 3-4 day trips for 2 adults and a kid.

Thank you,

For a camper or in your vehicle? There have been several recent posts on this topic. Do a search, shouldn't be that far back. If for a camper you would want 160w solar and 2 batteries.FWC has switched to an Isotherm. Others like the Truckfridge, and others the top loading ABR. jd

I have the truckfridge 41L which is not a bad size for shorter trips. Squatch got the bigger one, a 51 I think. I would not get the smallest one, not worth it in my opinion. I like that they run on AC/DC and are fairly portable. I am sure others have more experience than I do but I saw the post 1st ha ha :)

thank for the replies, I am thinking of in the camper, have a shell. I have seen a bunch of articles on power requirements etc, but not too many discussions on selecting the size of the fridge.

lzpup said:
thank for the replies, I am thinking of in the camper, have a shell. I have seen a bunch of articles on power requirements etc, but not too many discussions on selecting the size of the fridge.
We use a 40L Engel top opening, coupled with a small ice chest. The Engel as a freezer, the ice chest for the daily fare. Using and cycling frozen water bottles from the Engel to the ice chest.

We've gone several weeks like this, but for a small family, my guess is the Engel alone is good for a long weekend or more...

I use the Truckfridge 51 based on the recommendations of several wanderers. The longest trip I've done is 4 days by myself and could have easily filled the frig for another 3-4 days. My original thought was I needed a larger fridge but after reading several posts I decided on the TF51 and haven't had any regrets. I didn't want to add another battery or solar charger because of the additional weight and so far I can boon dock for 3-4 days on my single battery. My wife and I will be heading up to Oregon for 8 days and I have no doubt that the TF51 will be more than sufficient for us. We'll hit a supermarket every 3-4 days just like we do at home because we like our food as fresh as possible. Good luck on your search!!

I'm pretty sure with Truckfridge that all sizes use the same basic compressor unit. I think It's just a matter of the spacer Center section of box) size. 41 and 51 are the same just taller for the 51. I doubt energy usage is much different. My TF51 draws 2.5 amps in ECO mode and 4.5 amps in MAX.

+1 = What Squatch said. We have the TF130L in our shell build. Power use depends on how often you open it. Unlike Ski3Pin I drink beer, so it gets opened more often. Still very efficient and quiet.

i sense the 3 bears testing out chairs in the background.

Wife loves the big fridge. I looked at the space available and how to maximize efficiency of storage, etc when I built out the interior of my shell. Efficiency and power use were also major considerations.

Ace! said:
I think I have a 65L fridge. It's too small.
I have a 65L as well and agree that it's too small. Mine is the Isotherm Cruise 65, it fit in the original 3 way opening with no additional cutting. If I were to do it over again I'd go to at least the 85 and would seriously think about the 130.

Back
Top Bottom