Refrigerators revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to add my vote for a 2-way AC/DC fridge. I think most of the pros and cons have been discussed. I think the initial effort of this method are indeed significant but the ability to set your fridge and forget about it is wonderful. I love that I don't really have to worry about the temperature of my fridge when the temperature changes. I also liked that I didn't have to cut a hole for a vent in my camper. That would have been just as hard as installing a solar charge controller and panel if not harder. I really didn't feel comfortable cutting into my beautiful Hawk.

Either way you go I am sure all of us will be willing to guide you in your decision. Have fun.

I've got a National Luna Compressor fridge and love it. I left it running for 2 months, powered by 2 100w solar panels and always had ice, cold beer and food. Set it and forget it.

I really don't get it? Why do you compressed boys feel the need to take down absorption refrigeration? Pros and cons, I get that but be honest about it.

For new buyers out there, please know that if you forget to throttle your refer down soda bombs are not going to blow your refer door off in the middle of the night. Know that if you have not moved from a hot to cold location and there is not a quite extreme day /night temperature differential where you are at, you probably do not even need to touch it. Know that if there is an extreme temperature differential and you did not kick it back a notch the most that will happen 99% of the time is perhaps some icy crystals on your lettuce so you consume it first. Know that waking up in the middle of the night with your refer door blown off climbing over your screaming wife who is covered in frothy frozen soda to assess the refer door shrapnel damage will only happen in your wanderthewest induced dreams.

This subject has been covered ad-nausium. Since you guys bring up the set and forget simplicity that you perceive, I thought I'd point others (below links) numerous discussion of required solar enhancement, battery monitors, draw estimations and modification products required for compressor refer support. Solar requirements that seem to range some odd multiple times that of an absorption refrigeration and which significantly exceeds the overall cost of an absorption system. Based upon what I read you have a difficult quest to convince me that "set and forget" is your compressor ownership rational.

Now, if you are a rock crawler and intend to be perched on a rock at night clinging to your mattress with your toenails to keep from falling out then go for whatever system makes your boat float. But please don't cloud the decision process of others with how you rationalized your choice. Technology is fun,.... I get that too! However, the overwhelming RV industry standard is absorption refrigeration. Why? Because it functions, it is user friendly, cost effective and does not require a myriad of ancillary systems to support it.

If I simply wanted a compressor refer for whatever reason I'd have one. If I were off the grid and would not be passing a propane station for more than three or four weeks at a time, I'd definitely have a compressor rig. If I were a tech type who enjoyed designing, construction and maintaining advanced systems I would be there with you, however, all or any these scenarios true, I would not drag others into my decision who might have entirely different abilities and mission for their camper.

The best thing I've heard here is,... GO CAMPING! I'll add,.. HAVE FUN!

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/10276-advice-to-prospects-and-buyers-of-campers-with-compressor-refrigerators/

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9373-bendable-solar-panels-and-compressor-refrigerators/

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9121-adding-electric-refrigerator/

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/5053-3-way-vs-compressor-fridge/

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/3950-ultimate-fridge-thread/

I got my FWC so I could get off the grid, otherwise I would have gotten an RV. I had a compressor fridge (Engle) in my old Defender and in my old FJ and now have the 2 way in my Tacoma/Eagle. Other than wishing the Dometic was as efficient as the Engle (which I used only as a fridge, not a freezer) I'm happy with my setup. Obviously each option has a fan base. :)

Huh. My point was that once you get solar set up, the fridge runs without any issues. No need for refilling propane tanks, turning off pilot lights in tunnels, etc.

It works for me when 3 ways did not. And the industry will eventually move to solar once prices come down.

I have a hard time believing that anyone would be convinced that they should go with a 3-way refig once they've seen the efficiency and ease of a solar and a compressor refrig combo. Whether or not you are traveling along the highway and passing propane refill locations every 10 mins or in a remote location for 3 weeks at a time, the solar/compressor refrig combo is way easier. I personally HATE having to stop for anything while I'm on a trip whether it be for diesel, food or water. Not having to stop for propane because my 3-way sucked it all down is one less reason to I'll need to stop. Plus, use of my camper involves hunting trips that find me sitting in one spot for 2-3 weeks at a time and sometimes hours from any place with propane. For me, there was only one option and that was solar and a 3-way refrig. The major side benefit of having the solar/compressor refrig combo...the solar panel fully charges the batteries every day thus no running the truck to keep the batteries up.

I've owned many 3 way fridges. it's been my experience that they cool between 30 to 40 degrees below ambient. So best case if it's 100 outside your fridge will be 60. If you live in the Southwest and camp in the summer that makes it a pantry. In other words they work great if you don't need a fridge.

Thats why I love my compressor fridge. Death Valley, White Rim, Saline…. in summer is not the best place to find out your fridge doesnt work. The compressor fridge in my Cougar works perfectly with an 80 watt panel and a single 75AH batt. We've spent weeks ITMON and never needed ice or having to start the truck to charge the battery.

Walmart has another thermometer that looks pretty good - Taylor Digital refrigerator and freezer thermometer for $9.30, Walmart #552248686. It has a hook to hang it or a magnet.

I am lovin this thread - my 3 Way works awesome, I leave it on all the time, Nothing has gone bad or blown up. BTW its half the price by the time you add up all the batteries and solar and gadgets that you need to for the Compressor. My 3 Way runs forever on a propane tank. The 1500 ish I save on solar, batteries, and monitors - buys A LOT of beer.

My vote is keep it simple and go 3 Way!!!!!! (Wait a minute ... does that sound a little wierd?)

I completely agree with Ramblinman on his cost assessment. If cost is the biggest issue for someone, then a 3-way is probably the best way to go. If you have the money to do either, I can't think of a reason why anyone would not go with a compressor refrig.

kmacafee said:
Huh. My point was that once you get solar set up, the fridge runs without any issues. No need for refilling propane tanks, turning off pilot lights in tunnels, etc.

It works for me when 3 ways did not. And the industry will eventually move to solar once prices come down.
Objectively speaking, a better point you could have made along this line is w/respect to long term ferries transport. Ferry operators inspect and tag vehicles with propane to see they are shut off. On a short haul ferry either a compressor or absorption (on DC mode) would be okay. On a long haul for over a couple of hours to a few days, a compressor refer is the better unit. Ferry storage is below deck so solar is not buying you anything though.

The few long range ferries I've taken in SE AK and BC, I've eaten down my refer and provisioned on the other side. However in those instances, a compressor refer with a bunch of AH storage would have bee nice. Once from Rupert to Port Hardey, Vancouver Isl. I purchased a cheap foam cooler and dry iced some salmon that was important to me.

As for tunnels,.. I've never read about vehicles being blown out of both ends of a tunnel due to an absorption refer. However, the law is the law and a quick stop to either shut it off or switch to DC for that short of duration would work. Not me,... I'll risk the ticket.

I think you are correct about the future cost of solar.

chnlisle said:
I've owned many 3 way fridges. it's been my experience that they cool between 30 to 40 degrees below ambient. So best case if it's 100 outside your fridge will be 60. If you live in the Southwest and camp in the summer that makes it a pantry. In other words they work great if you don't need a fridge.

Thats why I love my compressor fridge. Death Valley, White Rim, Saline…. in summer is not the best place to find out your fridge doesnt work. The compressor fridge in my Cougar works perfectly with an 80 watt panel and a single 75AH batt. We've spent weeks ITMON and never needed ice or having to start the truck to charge the battery.
Chnlisle, brings to light a very good point - our WTW members frequent a variety of different regions - my experience comes from truck camping/hunting/fishing Western Canada. I am not sure that we have ever seen 100 degrees up here. Those who frequent that always sunny always hot climates might have different needs than I.

This said I am not sure that all those retirees that frequent Arizona - and lots come from Canada - do it with a Compressor Fridge.

Oh jeeze my trip to Baja next year might require another refrigerator discussion thread ... sorry fellas!

Stalking Light said:
I got my FWC so I could get off the grid, otherwise I would have gotten an RV. I had a compressor fridge (Engle) in my old Defender and in my old FJ and now have the 2 way in my Tacoma/Eagle. Other than wishing the Dometic was as efficient as the Engle (which I used only as a fridge, not a freezer) I'm happy with my setup. Obviously each option has a fan base. :)
Stalking...

By saying you decided to go Compressor because you intended to use your rig off the grid", implies that one can't go off grid with an absorption refer. That just ain't so. One ca go rock crawling with an absorption refer. The physics of the absorption process is actually increased when moving, the key word being "moving". I'll match my off the grid time with anyone here. I spoke to the fact that using out of level as a concern earlier. I think that as an excuse is a huge reach. .

By the way, I enjoy your photography!!! Excellent!

Bwht4x4 said:
I have a hard time believing that anyone would be convinced that they should go with a 3-way refig once they've seen the efficiency and ease of a solar and a compressor refrig combo. Whether or not you are traveling along the highway and passing propane refill locations every 10 mins or in a remote location for 3 weeks at a time, the solar/compressor refrig combo is way easier. I personally HATE having to stop for anything while I'm on a trip whether it be for diesel, food or water. Not having to stop for propane because my 3-way sucked it all down is one less reason to I'll need to stop. Plus, use of my camper involves hunting trips that find me sitting in one spot for 2-3 weeks at a time and sometimes hours from any place with propane. For me, there was only one option and that was solar and a 3-way refrig. The major side benefit of having the solar/compressor refrig combo...the solar panel fully charges the batteries every day thus no running the truck to keep the batteries up.
4x4...
Why not just say that you camp remote for long durations and your compressor refer works for you? If you let it go at that you are providing good advice. I'll take exception with your claim that an absorption refer is "guzzling fuel". To a reader that would create a false impression. Also, you opener with, "I have a hard time believing that anyone would be convinced that they should go with a 3-way refig". This comment could be reversed by an absorption refer owner, so why go there?

Case in point on consumption,.. I needed to catch an emergency flight to attend a family funeral once while I was on a trip. I had a full freezer of BC salmon that I didn't want to give up. I left my rig in Sacramento Airport parking on high with the circulation fan on in the direct sunlight for two weeks. I had a pretty good feel for the consumption and guessed right although it was pretty close to empty when I returned but enjoyed a popcicle on my way out of the lot. I wouldn't term that usage "guzzling". In fact that's pretty efficient.

I'm not certain if an absorption refer uses less fuel in cold weather? Common sense says yes but I'm not certain. I do know the draw on your compressor refer would be less. Regardless, either system would work for your application. Yours is a matter of preference and that's okay.

chnlisle said:

What you say may be true though I just returned from Klickitat Wa and was there fore about a week. The last three days temps were over a hundred and when I left it was 112deg. On my way down, I pulled over and gave a semi solid frozen popcicle and a cold beer to a loaded up on-the-road cyclist from Australia.

I am not an authority on temperatures exceeding 100 because that isn't my mission and so would not be cause for me to have a compressor refer. If that is yours or others mission the you bring up a valid point.

My understanding is that over 102deg heat becomes difficult to absorb. This can be mitigated to a certain extent by having a circulation fan going,... I think, but don't really care because for the most part I don't go there. This recent experience was an anomaly for me.

If I knew the trouble, frustration and amount of money I'm (hopefully finished with) ultimately spending keeping my 2 way fridge cold with solar I would have gotten a 3 way and probably been very happy with it. As it is, I'm expecting 2 warranty replacement solar panels and I'll need to remount them. Had Renogy not honored the warranty, I would have switched sides or gone to an ice chest and used the space for storage.

If it don't work for you - it ain't no good at all. If it do work for you - go camping.

Alan

Almost 4 of the 8 weeks I was out, the temperature exceeded 100 degrees every day. No 3 way fridge is going to keep ice solid and food in the safe range for eating at those temps. Its the reason that the vast majority of users in Australia and Africa have ditched 3 way fridges for compressors -- in high temps, 3 ways are inefficient.

In cooler temps, an ice chest will work fine. Using propane for cooling in my book makes no sense assuming you invest in a decent solar package.

alano said:
If I knew the trouble, frustration and amount of money I'm (hopefully finished with) ultimately spending keeping my 2 way fridge cold with solar I would have gotten a 3 way and probably been very happy with it. As it is, I'm expecting 2 warranty replacement solar panels and I'll need to remount them. Had Renogy not honored the warranty, I would have switched sides or gone to an ice chest and used the space for storage.

If it don't work for you - it ain't no good at all. If it do work for you - go camping.

Alan
This is the exact reason I chose to go with the standard rigid, tried-and-true, solar panels and not the new bendable panels. A bit of research showed me that there were too many flaws still present in these types of panels and it will be a bit until they're worked out. Once they are proven to work as good as the rigid panels I'll jump ship and get me a couple of them.

Bwht4x4 said:
This is the exact reason I chose to go with the standard rigid, tried-and-true, solar panels and not the new bendable panels. A bit of research showed me that there were too many flaws still present in these types of panels and it will be a bit until they're worked out. Once they are proven to work as good as the rigid panels I'll jump ship and get me a couple of them.
Same here. A little more money but from what I can tell, far fewer problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom