Refrigerators revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 3-way (propane) fridge in my camper for the first 3-4 years and it worked ok, about 95% of the time. But roughly 5% of the time (eg. when parked not level for the day while out and about, or who knows why) that it didn't work, it frustrated the hell out of me and spoiled a bunch of food in the process. I also had to constantly adjust it based on ambient temperature, and it still sometimes froze my food (in the non-summer seasons). Basically every time I stopped the truck somewhere, I checked on the fridge. Once, while I was parked for 3 days in the backcountry, it didn't work at all (and later after that trip, started working again mysteriously). Must have been parked not level. After that trip, I gave it away on craigslist in frustration.

I switched to a compressor fridge (Waeco CR-65) and freaking love it, it is a night and day difference. I set it to a setting just like my home fridge, and it just works from then on the entire trip. Never have to touch it, so refreshing! I also used to have to fill up propane for every big trip, whereas now I fill up the propane once a year or two (only for the furnace) which is a nice bonus.

I do have solar. Obviously both systems have pros and cons, and each person will value them differently. For me, the compressor fridge works way better and is hassle-free. In my experience, the propane fridge is far from "set it and forget it" like some people here seem to imply. Maybe I had a bad one, but it was replaced once under warranty by the previous owner right before i got it (so it was brand new) - he had problems too.

I like my 3 way. Yes you must be level. I completely re-worked the installation....FWC and ATC do not install them properly...sorry. I also installed two computer fans which draw nil for current and a re-lighter. I also baffled the flame well and put a piece of perforated metal inside the door which allows me to drive on propane. I know some do not agree with the latter. YMMV

CWD

cwdtmmrs said:
I like my 3 way. Yes you must be level. I completely re-worked the installation....FWC and ATC do not install them properly...sorry. I also installed two computer fans which draw nil for current and a re-lighter. I also baffled the flame well and put a piece of perforated metal inside the door which allows me to drive on propane. I know some do not agree with the latter. YMMV

CWD
I installed my compressor refrig and then plugged it in. It runs perfectly all the time and every time regardless of the slope or wind.

Yes they do. But you also usually need two batteries and a solar system as well to keep up with electrical demands. Not worth the extra weight and potential issues to me. The installation issues I mentioned pertain to venting and air flow on the 3 way units. It is horrible. My fridge can hold 40* on 100* day. To each his own.

CWD

With or without the compressor refrig I'd have two batteries. The solar panel on the roof is all I added to the camper to help with the electrical demands of the refrig. As far as weight...that is why I have a 3/4 ton I guess. If you're running a FWC on a Tundra then I imagine weight is a big concern.

I guess my point is if you have a FWC with an operating 3-way keep it and enjoy your camper. For those that are buying a new FWC or replacing a refrig I would strongly suggest weighing the refrig options. That is what I did and there was not a single benefit, for me, to even consider a 3-way.

With that, have a good night!

Bwht4x4 said:
With or without the compressor refrig I'd have two batteries. The solar panel on the roof is all I added to the camper to help with the electrical demands of the refrig. As far as weight...that is why I have a 3/4 ton I guess. If you're running a FWC on a Tundra then I imagine weight is a big concern.

I guess my point is if you have a FWC with an operating 3-way keep it and enjoy your camper. For those that are buying a new FWC or replacing a refrig I would strongly suggest weighing the refrig options. That is what I did and there was not a single benefit, for me, to even consider a 3-way.

With that, have a good night!
Bwht4x4 - 2+++++

Well, Kispiox,
It would appear that software development analogies are in order. ;) Git outta here with all this Subversion. There is a ClearCase for asking a BitKeeper to C if there is any Object Oriented analysis to resolve this Runtime refrigerator Type Error. It would appear that Reefer(R) technology needs more Marketing inputs and less Engineering inputs.

All seriousness aside, both compressor and absorption refrigerators work and have both advantages & disadvantages. I prefer Toyotas and Fords, others prefer GM, Dodge, or Nissan. They all can get the job done. Let the individual buyer determine what best suits them.

I chose a compressor type when ordering my Hawk last year without realizing that the power requirements of the fridge mandated more than 100 watts of solar with my other power needs and my preference for treed camping in the PNW. Death Valley, even with much higher ambient temps, was OK on 100 watts.

Paul

The batteries shouldn't even be considered a cost since you need that anyways. The solar can be had fir as cheap as $100 for a 100 w panel and $30 for a controller. I have plenty of money left for beer when I don't have to buy propane.

Apparently this has now turned personal. I hope the OP can sift through this and see that either setup can work within the right constraints. As the last poster said don't let the price of these options stop you from getting into the wilderness.

Regardless of the opinion of the last poster, I find it hard to say that a compressor fridge setup cannot be had for as cheap as an absorption fridge setup assuming neither type was installed previously and that the refrigerators them selves were the same price, which is usually the case.

While a compressor fridge may require solar to run for extended periods without driving, an absorption fridge would require you to cut out a vent. Installing solar, for me, was a lot less intimidating than cutting a hole in my expensive camper. This may be different for others with different skills.

Either way, a slightly higher initial cost would be offset in a short time when not having to buy propane. All this with the additional benefit of knowing your fridge will stay at the temperature you put it at.

As far as reliability, that comes down to the installer. Troubles usually come from someone messing up their install on a more complicated setup with a trimetric and/or multiple panels.

I would still want solar regardless of fridge type for my electronics (laptop, camera batteries, fans, etc.) so implying you don't need an extra battery and solar with an absorption fridge is a bit disingenuous.

Wow, 753 words on whether an absorption refrig is glorified pantry or not. I give you credit for your diligence on beating this poor dead horse over and over again!

Once again and for the second time, for those of you that are looking at buying a FWC or replacing a refig...do some research on what will work best for you.

If you only camp in the shade and trees...consider an absorption refrig.

If you camp in more wide open spaces and hate having to fill a propane tank (like me)...consider a compressor refrig.

Bwht4x4 said:
Wow, 753 words on whether an absorption refrig is glorified pantry or not. I give you credit for your diligence on beating this poor dead horse over and over again!

Once again and for the second time, for those of you that are looking at buying a FWC or replacing a refig...do some research on what will work best for you.

If you only camp in the shade and trees...consider an absorption refrig.

If you camp in more wide open spaces and hate having to fill a propane tank (like me)...consider a compressor refrig.
2X

I just returned from Boy Scout camp for the week with my troop.
I ran 2 different fridges for the entire week.
My 110 litter compressor fridge and my 63 quart ARB fridge. The 110 litter one I used for drinks and kept it at 34 degrees.
The ARB was kept at 10 degrees for ice cream and Popsicles.
It takes a small army of Popsicles to keep 10 boys happy for a week. No problems and cold food kept at my desired temperature all week. Batteries and solar had no issue.

I am really happy with my setup. It works great for me.

I personally believe the 3 way fridges work fine but do have an inherent problem in our campers. They have no vertical ventilation which makes cooling occasionally problematic. The heat gets trapped in the top and doesn't get out well even with a fan. Constant heat makes it work extra hard to cool on inside.

They work awesome in my toy hauler because ventilation is not a problem.

Now if someone could come up with a telescopic vent out of the top of the camper from the fridge, I believe they would be much more efficient and you could actually use the larger 3 way fridge FWC sells.

I've seen one person do this before and it turned out great.

Absolutely correct about the venting. See my post from 7/10. "Roger" did and excellent thread on venting some time back using info available from the mfg's and the web. I used his thread and made some other changes as well. No more heat trapped in the top of the cabinet. Night and day difference. I also added a cheap inside/outside thermometer from ebay that gives the current inside and outside temps as well as records the high/low temps for both with a push of a button. I only use my rig for hunting and fishing and have been out for 3 weeks at a time and never had an empty propane bottle. I use LED lights and have one battery with no solar. I do carry a very small 350W Honda generator-17lbs just in case, but haven't needed it yet. I do drive at least every 2 days. I do not want to drive a 3/4 ton truck in the hills. Not nearly nimble as my 1986 Toyota. My camper loaded weighs under 1,000 lbs wet with food and gear, including shower. Everyone is different.

CWD

Well let's see if I can make this even worse. Just kidding as most of you know I do a lot of. If my use of the term PANTRY regarding the 3way when used in the summer in the Southwest because it just failed to do its job I humbly and respectfully apologize. image.jpg

Best addition I made so far...switching out my 3-way for a (DC) compressor fridge. My set up: Small front load Isotherm 65 compressor fridge with settings at 1-8, (8 being the coldest setting), 100W Renogy panel secured to the roof, two (3 year old) 79A batteries with a SunSavor 15 MPPT. Did a 5 day test by turning on fridge on lowest setting #1. The only power coming in is through the roof panel-to the controller, to the batteries and onto the fridge (I think that's the route). Either way, for the past 5 days, 4 of which have been 100% overcast and today its partly cloudy, my fridge temp has been a constant 36-38 degrees. Everything in the fridge is cold. I like it!

NorCalHawk said:
Best addition I made so far...switching out my 3-way for a (DC) compressor fridge. My set up: Small front load Isotherm 65 compressor fridge with settings at 1-8, (8 being the coldest setting), 100W Renogy panel secured to the roof, two (3 year old) 79A batteries with a SunSavor 15 MPPT. Did a 5 day test by turning on fridge on lowest setting #1. The only power coming in is through the roof panel-to the controller, to the batteries and onto the fridge (I think that's the route). Either way, for the past 5 days, 4 of which have been 100% overcast and today its partly cloudy, my fridge temp has been a constant 36-38 degrees. Everything in the fridge is cold. I like it!
And you'll never have to refill propane tanks. The energy source is pretty much infinite. ;-)

kmacafee said:
And you'll never have to refill propane tanks. The energy source is pretty much infinite. ;-)
I went with a CR65 compressor fridge in the build of my 2103 Hawk shell. I purchased used in Nov 13 was new in May of 13. Last month I did have to fill one of the 10# tanks. Used for over 2 years, I guess it might be two more years until I switch back to the tank I just filled. I do used the heater almost every morning when we camp except for when we were in Florida. Also coffee every morning on the stove and we do cook inside. Not never refill, but a long time between filling.

billharr said:
I went with a CR65 compressor fridge in the build of my 2103 Hawk shell. I purchased used in Nov 13 was new in May of 13. Last month I did have to fill one of the 10# tanks. Used for over 2 years, I guess it might be two more years until I switch back to the tank I just filled. I do used the heater almost every morning when we camp except for when we were in Florida. Also coffee every morning on the stove and we do cook inside. Not never refill, but a long time between filling.
I should have said - And you'll never have to refill propane tanks to run your fridge. I do cook and use the furnace but like you, I will bet its years.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom