Rehabilitating 1965 NCO 10 footer

I bought a 65 Alaskan camper a couple of months ago. I didn't plan on spending much time or $$ but I am and having a good time doing it. I find myself removing aluminum trim, polishing, painting, new putty tape, new screws, new cushion upholstery, beefed up my 86 F150 with leaf springs, coil over shocks, tires, followed by purchase of a 95 diesel f250. There are some details I can't find answers for. My slider seals are fire hose. Was this original? Windows had pull down roller shades. I've heard they came with drapes? Not too concerned about restoring to original condition. Want to use whats modern and practical. Thanks for your help. Lakewood, Colorado. Pickups.JPG

Hl Colo, The roller blinds were original on the Alaskans from that era.I think there was a set of drapes on the lower window between camper and the truck.I am not sure about your fire hose seals, now they use Pirelli rubber that is about 2"to3" wide and about 1/16" thick. On the New Alaskans there are two of these seals one above the other.Good luck on your project.
Kevin.

Thanks Kevin. Your camper looks familiar. They didn't fool with the design much back then. I need to replace the hydraulic jack seals too. Sounds like a challenge to keep fluid from getting all over the place.

Hi Colo,my pump was leaking badly when I got my Alaskan, I was going to put a shut off valve between the oil tank and the pump. I had the seals replaced on the jack but I never got round to putting the valve in.Its on my to do list or next time I have a leak.
cheers,
Kevin.

When I rebuilt my 1964 NCO, I purchased a set of rubber o-rings from Bryan at Alaskan Campers. This is a messy job but worth the effort. When I bought my camper it had plastic venetian blinds. I have replaced them with a new set I purchased at Lowe's. Inexpensive and they work great. As to the suspension issue, I installed heavy duty shocks and 10 ply Dayton tires on my 1/2 ton Dodge Ram. It still sags a bit but doesn't track like it used to. The most expensive item in my upgrade was to have the cushions re-upholstered.

Here is a link to some shots of my rebuild: http://groups.yahoo....957133/pic/list

Here are links to some great suppliers I have used:

Alaskan Camper link
This is a link to the manufacturer of our great campers for items like lift seals.
http://www.alaskancamper.com/

Perfect Fit-McDonald, Inc.
A source for the recommended seal material between the upper and bottom camper sections. Go to the website and type in Pirelli and up will come the item.
http://www.perfectfit.com

Vintage Trailer Supply
A great source for those hard to find vintage accessories like replacement window gutters.
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/

Mike

Thanks for all the good info gentlemen. I am going to tackle the hydraulic seal issue soon. Went to yahoo and printed your orig jack info Mike. Will read it over as I prepare for repair. My 65 NCO has the icebox version for the fridge. Any experience with that antique? I like your main valve on hydraulic line Kevin. It would prevent potential jack leaks until pins are set. As for suspension upgrades, spent about $600 US on my f150, (that's what I spent on the camper) took it on one trip. The 302 FI was underpowered for some steep mtn. pass pulls. So I bought a 1995, 7.3 liter, f250 diesel. Kinda stinks and wakes the neighbors but I like the power.

My best advice on replacing the hydraulic seals is to remove any rugs, cushions or other absorbent materials from the camper and have lots of paper towels available.

I don't understand the need for an additional valve in the hydraulic system. You mention there is a tank. Is this some type of fluid reserve tank? My system has the jack, copper lines and jacks. No tank.

I removed the icebox and sold it on Craig's List. In fact, as you can see from my pix, I removed the entire cabinet. Much more room now. I use a plastic cooler and store it outside on the ground when camping. Works fine and uses a lot less ice.

I plan to move some of the Alaskan Camper reference materials to this website when I get a chance. Perhaps we should set up some sort of permanent reference section for instructional manuals?

Mike

Attachments

• DSCN0446.jpg
    DSCN0446.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 578
I don't understand the need for an additional valve in the hydraulic system. You mention there is a tank. Is this some type of fluid reserve tank? My system has the jack, copper lines and jacks. No tank.

Hi Mike and Colo, my jack/pump must be different to yours so I added some pics for you
Cheers. Kevin.

Attachments

• tmpphpcIS8cX.jpg
    tmpphpcIS8cX.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 473
  • tmpphpgGdT4g.jpg
    tmpphpgGdT4g.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 511
  • tmpphpFWevbw.jpg
    tmpphpFWevbw.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 612
  • tmpphpUbRgye.jpg
    tmpphpUbRgye.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 630
Here is a pix of my hydraulic pump. Kind of dirty in the photo (since cleaned up). The jack act as its own reservoir.

Mike

Attachments

• Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 529
I like the open concept, You don't miss the storage? My jack is like yours. Did you replace seals in it? Its obvious that a properly acting hydraulic/jack system would make life easier.

I like the open concept, You don't miss the storage? My jack is like yours. Did you replace seals in it? Its obvious that a properly acting hydraulic/jack system would make life easier.

The jack doesn't appear to be leaking anywhere so I figure it's best to leave it alone until such time as it starts leaking.

As to the storage issue, Between the hooks I have installed overhead and on the aft bulkhead, storage is not a problem. I have found that I really don't need as much clothing and gear as I thought I would. I have a cloth backpack (from Europe Through The Back Door), for clothes storage which is light weight and flexible. As I previously mentioned, We store sleeping bags, pillows and night time gear in the truck cab during the day. Over time, you will work out your own system of shuffling your gear around, be it to the truck cab or in the cab over bunk area.

Mike

Hi Mike and Colo, my jack/pump must be different to yours so I added some pics for you
Cheers. Kevin.

Your camper looks like is in good shape Kevin. Interesting configuration. Looks like a chest of drawers on the right. I joined yahoo to see your project Mike. Nice job. You've been around Alaskans awhile it seems. Your suggestion to retrieve and archive Alaskan paper brochures, instructions, plans is a good one. Would be nice to see the orig. architectural/engineering drwgs. but they are probably still under lock & key. I had 1 piece of oiled jacking instructions that came with mine.

I have run into a snag with my aluminum rear gutter/trim. It's the hardened alu with the 3/16" round gutter bead. Covers the roof siding and the rear vertical siding joint. My piece has been beat up pretty good. I took it off and tried to straighten with pliers. The pliers scratched the alu and didn't do much bending back. Any ideas?
MyDocuments

Hi Colo, I have not got an answer for your gutter problem but I am adding some pics of Alaskan care and operating instructions that were in my Alaskan. Mine by the way is a 72 built in Calgary Alberta. I am also posting a link to a rebuild that you might find interesting
cheers,
Kevin
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26842

Attachments

• tmpphp8kC16L.jpg
    tmpphp8kC16L.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 350
  • tmpphpVLatkr.jpg
    tmpphpVLatkr.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 373
  • tmpphpjLVEfZ.jpg
    tmpphpjLVEfZ.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 324
Colo,
We have a 1966 10' non cabover Alaskan Camper that is in poor shape, but has some fair to good parts. I think the refrigerator is good, and is convertible gas/electric. If you are interested in any of the parts, we are hoping to give away as much as possible. We think it's too much for us to restore, time wise.
Highriser

Thanks Highriser. I might ask where you are located?

We are in Redmond, Washington.

Hi Colo, I have not got an answer for your gutter problem but I am adding some pics of Alaskan care and operating instructions that were in my Alaskan. Mine by the way is a 72 built in Calgary Alberta. I am also posting a link to a rebuild that you might find interesting
cheers,
Kevin
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26842

Thanks for the "camper instructions" Kevin. Having old paper like that adds to the fun of working on it. Talk about work. The craftsman whose link you sent (Keeno) "Knows Alaskans." My rebuild is cosmetic only.

Back
Top Bottom