Renogy solar

hebegebe

Well one of my 100w flex panels from renogy gave up the ghost in DV on the first day of a 5 day trip! Unable to troubleshoot so used ice in my NovaKool for several days! I was given some credit on the bad panel and purchased one new Eclipse panel to match not thrilled with weight penalty but these panels should last a lifetime. When solar works it’s so seamless when it fails it’s a boat anchor!

had the same problem with my Renogy flex panels - discovered the bad panel right before a 3 week trip. But to their credit (and literally, credit) Renogy refunded my money and I was able to get a replacement overnight. Went with rigid panels this time though.

Yes the eclipse panel are rigid and a new high performance model that’s close to 19% efficient with diodes to minimize shade effect. 15# each is the penalty twice the weight of flex panels.

Stupid question but since I have the flexible panels I'm going to ask anyway...

How do you tell when the panels fail?

Note the charging current and voltage in bright sun from each panel now while they are working & save the data.

If you notice your batteries failing to recover charge as usual, repeat measurement and look for significantly reduced or no energy production from one or more panels.

If you have a battery monitor, keep either a mental idea or written notes on SOC in morning and what time of day the SOC nears full depending on depth of discharge, ambient temp, amount of sun, etc.

Mental notes about performance are perfectly fine if you had rather spend your time enjoying camping instead of geeking out about the technology. Camping away from the power grid is the reason you paid all that money for the solar stuff, right? But having some easily checked measurements can be handy. ;)

Paul

According to renogy if there are multiple panels they need to be separated to test. First for voltage then for amps. In my case with two panels one was fine 17.7v w/6amps the other was 8v. w/.69amps but my panels connected in parallel it killed all charging from the bogart controller. I had to remove them from the roof to test. New panels are pre mounted on my frame an ready to install onto roof tracks. Will update when up and charging

smlobx said:
How do you tell when the panels fail?
PaulT said:
Note the charging current and voltage in bright sun from each panel now while they are working & save the data.
If you notice your batteries failing to recover charge as usual, repeat measurement and look for significantly reduced or no energy production from one or more panels.
Your panels should have come with a data sheet. On it they list the Voc (open circuit voltage) and Isc (short circuit current). If a panel varies more than a little from this when in full sun, talk with the vendor; you probably have a bad panel.

hebegebe said:
. . . but my panels connected in parallel it killed all charging from the bogart controller . . .
Do you mean series? Panels connected in series will deliver the current of the lowest panel's output. Panels connected in parallel don't affect the output of the other.

jim

Running 2 100w panels at 12v Positive to positive, negative to negative. Isn’t that parallel?? Most panels have a data sticker on the backside with information

Yes. that is a parallel connection.

I have been using solar for about 15 years on my towables and motor homes and am about to install a system in my Hallmark UTE. I think once you get use to your system and know what to expect it is fairly easy to tell when it changes from its usual behavior.

Everything plugged in and tightened down, I spent a couple days in desert. almost anti climatic as all was working well and able to make 3 rounds of ice cubes a day!

Back
Top Bottom