Replaced fridge - Norcold 3.0 3-way with Dometic 3.8 DC

leadsled9

Contributors
I replaced my Norcold 3.0 cu ft 3-way refrigerator with a Dometic/Waeco 3.8 cu ft DC refrigerator today. The 3-way was still working just great. I had planned to replace it with a DC fridge when it croaked....but that Norcold may run forever and I was tired of always having to fuss with the controls in order to maintain a constant temperature. I didn't want the black door model since it would make the camper darker....and I couldn't find one with the white door....so I ended up getting a SS model. At least it matches my stainless steel sink.

Here are some comparison pictues:

Comparison - front view:
exterior comparison - DSC_13560003.JPG

Comparison - interior view:
interior comparison2 - DSC_13750022.JPG

Installed view:
installed1 - DSC_13810030.JPG

More pics:

Installed view2:
installed2 - DSC_13830032.JPG

Installed view3:
installed3 - DSC_13820031.JPG

Back vent view...I still need to put a flare plug on the propane line so I
can use my furnace/stove/water heater again.
installed back - DSC_13880037.JPG

More:

Front shelf of Norcold only 6" due to large heat exchanger inside;
Norcold 6 inch top shelf - DSC_13690016.JPG

Front shelf of Waeco/Dometic 12" - much nicer:
Waeco 12 inch shelves - DSC_13660013.JPG

Reason Norcold is so much smaller inside....see the back; 1/3 of it is apparatus not storage:
back comparison - DSC_13570004.JPG

Is that the same 110L frig FWC offers as an option?

Yes, it is the same exact model that FWC puts in for the largest DC fridge. The only difference is the ones they install have the black door. I think the Stainless Steel model looks better and it is only $23 more than the black door model.

It is the WAECO CR-1110E/F-S COOLMATIC STAINLESS STEEL FRONT 3.8 CUBIC FT. model.

According to the specs the Waeco is only 0.8 cu ft larger but the specs are kind of misleading. There is a lot more space in the Waeco due to the design. The freezer in the Norcold is 618 cu in and the new freezer in the Waeco is 680 cu in (by actual measurement). The freezer in the Waeco is not as tall...but runs deeper to pick up the extra space. With the freezer being less tall...it leaves room for 3 shelves rather than only 2. Also, all 3 shelves are 12 inches deep. The top shelf on the Norcold is only 6 inches deep.

That is one I'm thinking of getting then. I agree, like the SS idea better than the black.

What kind of charging would you recommend, one or two batteries? I'm trying to avoid the solar cost.

We made a similar swap but of the smaller size fridge because ours is the older style camper. Still the space gained by using a fridge with a Danfoss compressor is a huge bonus. We went with the Isotherm Cruise instead of the Waeco, but I'm sure you will notice it with any Danfoss compressor fridges.

That is one I'm thinking of getting then. I agree, like the SS idea better than the black.

What kind of charging would you recommend, one or two batteries? I'm trying to avoid the solar cost.

I'm not sure what to recommend since everyones needs are different.

I have two 105 ah AGM batteries and a 120 watt solar panel installed. I can barely tell when the compressor comes on since it is so quiet. You have to hold your ear right next to it to even be able to tell if the compressor is running. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm old.

Once it gets to temperature (a couple of hours) the compressor runs very little. Of course...its winter time. I'll have to wait to summer to see how it performs when it's 100 degrees outside.

I really hated that the Norcold had to be level as my driveway is angled...and I could never load up the fridge while parked in the driveway.

One and a half hours after turning on the DC fridge (with food in it) the temperature was 34 degrees and the freezer was 0 degrees....this is with the Dometic knob about 5 out of 7. I think I'll back it off some as I want to maintain the same 38 degrees that my home fridge is getting.

food is at 34 degrees - DSC_13900002.JPG

34 degrees - DSC_13920001.JPG

Thanks for the info and pictures.

I was debating between the 80L and the 110L and your pics with stuff loaded really helps.
I think bigger is better in this case.

Just like trucks :D

Thanks for the info and pictures.

I was debating between the 80L and the 110L and your pics with stuff loaded really helps.
I think bigger is better in this case.

I tend to make extended trips of 4 to 6 weeks so more space in the fridge and freezer is a good thing.

Please let us know how the power consumption works out on a trip with all the food. I'm curious to see how the Dometic compares to my Engle. I want to put a new fridge in my boat, and the dometic looks larger...more BEER!
Thanks
John

Please let us know how the power consumption works out on a trip with all the food. I'm curious to see how the Dometic compares to my Engle. I want to put a new fridge in my boat, and the dometic looks larger...more BEER!
Thanks
John

Will do!

I will be watching this thread and looking for some followup info from leadsled on the Waeco CR-1110 fridge, as well as, some info from markbc on the Isotherm Cruise 130. I'm leaning toward the Isotherm for the extra room (4.6 vs 3.8 cuft), plus we are not as concerned about a smaller freezer compartment. I do hope they will be able to give some power usage info. Found ave power consumption info on the Waeco as 45watts (per hr running, maybe 10 hrs per day??), but have not found anything on the Isotherm. Tax return will be going for one or the other. Here in AZ the Norcold just can't cool enough during the warm months.
BX

Here in AZ the Norcold just can't cool enough during the warm months.
BX

I'll be spending the month of January in Arizona!

What size Norcold are you replacing? Is it the 3.0 cu. ft.?

Just so you know....the Waeco was a TIGHT fit in the space of the old Norcold 3.0. It was basically a "press fit"...I was barely able to jiggle it in there....after inventing a few new words. The Waeco is a full 1/2 inch wider than the Norcold. I was able to leave the old reflectix insulation in place and that was a plus.

Also, to remove or install refrigerators in my Hawk the door frame has to be loosened and pushed flush with the inside wall. My door frame protrudes into the cabin just enough to prevent you from pushing the old fridge out or the new fridge in. Just a heads up for ya.

For this reason alone you might be better off with the Isotherm. Maybe MarkBC can comment on this since he installed the Isotherm.

Well, back to work....my current project is installing reliable compressed air to air up tires and run air tools (ie. for removing corroded on lug nuts etc.). My old compressor melted down trying to air up 1 of my 34 inch tall tires. It just couldn't handle it. I need a reliable way to air down the tires for off road then air them back up for highway travel.

Thanks for the response, Leadsled9
I have the 3.0 cu ft Norcold and I can see what you mean about the door frame. Thanks for the heads up on that.
BX

Thanks for the response, Leadsled9
I have the 3.0 cu ft Norcold and I can see what you mean about the door frame. Thanks for the heads up on that.
BX

Well, even though it was a tight fit....it looks like the cabinet was made for it. You wouldn't know it wasn't a factory install. I sealed the top and bottom with some foam I had laying around....then used a couple of pieces of 1X2 oak to fill in top/bottom gaps....then used 3/4" edging for that finished look.

If you decide to install the same fridge just PM me for installation details.

Well, back to work....my current project is installing reliable compressed air to air up tires and run air tools (ie. for removing corroded on lug nuts etc.). My old compressor melted down trying to air up 1 of my 34 inch tall tires. It just couldn't handle it. I need a reliable way to air down the tires for off road then air them back up for highway travel.

Total side track: What kind of compressor are you planning? Small tank somewhere under the truck?

I've had a York AC pump in use as an air compressor for years on my off-road truck. With a 3 gallons tank and a couple quick connect fittings it was great! But adapting one to my modern vehicles just isn't an option. I've looked at the the Viair Pumps but they are big $'s for my crappy budget.

Total side track: What kind of compressor are you planning? Small tank somewhere under the truck?

I've had a York AC pump in use as an air compressor for years on my off-road truck. With a 3 gallons tank and a couple quick connect fittings it was great! But adapting one to my modern vehicles just isn't an option. I've looked at the the Viair Pumps but they are big $'s for my crappy budget.

I'll start a new compressor thread when I get done installing the compressor.

I'm installing a 4 gallon tank. The compressor is this one: http://www.extremeoutback.com/product/14/ExtremeAire+Magnum.html

ExtremeAire Magnum

Imagine an ExtremeAire Compressor with TWICE the power and speed, all in a package only 2" longer than the original! Now you can have a continuous 12 volt compressor that will put out 6 CFM free flow and a whopping 2.6 CFM at 100 psi. Nothing in its size, class or price range even comes close! The ExtremeAire Magnum utilizes a 1.5 HP fan cooled motor and longer piston stroke to make the impossible possible. The Magnum has all the key features of the original ExtremeAire such as superior filtering, stainless steel hardware, heat dissipation cylinder coating and powder coated filter housing and fan shroud. Plus it can be mounted in any angle or position, even upside down! Sealed bearings mean no servicing or lubrication is necessary. Uses include filling tires, running air tools, air bags, lockers, train horns, etc. It is the perfect unit for jobsite chores or ranch duties. Since the unit is totally sealed from the elements, you can mount it under your truck on the frame rail so valuable storage space is preserved.

Specs:
-1.5 HP Motor
-95 amps @ 12.5 Volts DC
-Continuous Duty @ 150 psi
-6 CFM @ 0 psi
-2.6 CFM @ 100 psi
-Weight: 20 lbs.
-Dimensions: 16" long x 6" wide x 9.5" tall

Here's a sneek peek:

Attachments

• compressor, tank and mounting plate - DSC_13450001.JPG
    compressor, tank and mounting plate - DSC_13450001.JPG