Replacing faucet in Hawk

norcalhawk

My apology if I'm being redundant with this topic. Couldn't find any info on "replacing" the original hot/cold water faucet with a more friendly user faucet. I have the standard faucet that comes with a 2012 Hawk, along with the electric water pump. Has anyone replaced theirs? Assuming the holes are standard 4" on center, like a bathroom faucet or Bar type w/gooseneck faucet. Is the replacement straight forward, I don't want to drill more holes, etc.

On my build I purchased a counter top from FWC the hole for the stove, sink and faucet pre cut. The hold for the faucet was a rectangle not two holes. I had to make a stainless plate to cover so I could mount my faucet. Look under your counter behind the sink, you may need a mirror to see what hole or holes you have.

Look close you can see the stainless plate under my faucet.
P1110948.jpg

Billharr

Right you are... Just one ~ 6" rectangular hole. The faucet I have now seems to sit on a plate as well, but it's white and plastic. Not sure why they built it this way, but it is! Looks like the plumbing is straight forward.
Thank you...

I installed a single hole kitchen faucet that reaches the center of the sink. I hated the short faucet that FWC installed. It would flood the back of the counter every time I washed my hands. I used the second hole for a soap dispenser.

You guys (and gals) have inspired me to yet another upgrade. Not sure yet exactly what or how but it does get old sopping up all the excess water. Thanks.

NorCalHawk said:
Pictures Camelracer of your install...any tricks about it? Tired to of wiping up spilled water...ugh!
Here's a shot of the faucet and soap dispenser. The faucet is a Kohler and the dispenser is from OSH.

I had to replace some of the stock PEX plumbing with braided vinyl tubing and hose clamps to get the correct fittings to adapt to the faucet. Not sure what the exact fittings are but they were standard hardware store items.

I found out the hard way that the soap dispenser bottle was not intended for off road travel so I built one out of standard PVC fittings and pipe.

IMG_1881.jpg

Billharr......Still looking into replacing the FWC faucet. I like the Bar type....Is it possible for you to take a photo of the plumbing under your sink to show how it all hooks up? I also have the electric pump and hot water heater.

NorCal - I just did this last weekend in my Hawk. I replaced it with a plastic pull out faucet from Ace Hardware. Under $40 and easy to install. Didn't need to buy any new parts. Less than 1 hr from start to finish. Works great and sits over center of sink. Pull out works fine for rinsing things.
Gregg

Flyfisher...thanks for your note. I have to do something to change this present set up. Any chance you have pictures from under the sink showing your hook up, hot/cold hoses, etc.. Sounds like you just replaced the spout? I'm not a Plummer, so my skills are limited. But show me a picture(s) and I can go from there. I look at my present set up, tried to loosen things, but I became discouraged. Tight space under there as you already know. Look forward to hearing from you, and thank you.

How timely -- I was just thinking (though not for the first time) that I'd replace the silly little bathroom-style faucet in my 2005 Hawk with a more functional setup...before my next major trip.
I replaced a similar (silly little...) faucet in my bathroom with a nice faucet...so maybe I can do it in the camper, too, without incident. :unsure:

NorCal - Here are a few pictures of my new faucet on my 2005 Hawk. I did have to drill a center hole, but you have a slot so you probably won't need to. Here is the faucet I bought at my local Ace Hardware. http://www.amazon.com/Home-Plus-Handle-Utility-Pullout/dp/B002TQ2LNW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1400556905&sr=8-7&keywords=utility+sink+faucet
To take the stock plastic faucet off, unscrew the water lines where they attach to the faucet underneath ( I only have a cold water line, no hot, but I did have to remove the cap on the hot water side). Next unscrew the large black plastic "nuts" that hold the faucet to the counter. At this point you should be able to remove the old faucet by lifting it up. I did use some pliers to get some of these screw fittings to begin to move, but after loosening, I just used my hands. Now fit the new one in (you may need to file the cutout to get it to fit. Once fitted, seat it with a little silicone around the top edge of the cutout to keep water on the counter from leaking into the cabinet below. Next screw on the black plastic "nuts" to clamp the faucet in place and then reconnect the water lines. Turn on the water pump to check for leaks. That's it.

Attachments

• May14 009.JPG
    May14 009.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 161
  • May14 014.JPG
    May14 014.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 170
  • May14 012.JPG
    May14 012.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 158
Been thinking about doing the same thing. The faucet in mine is a joke. It's so close to the back of the sink, when you rinse your hands, half the water ends up on the counter. Flyfishers set up looks perfect. Thanks.

Flyfisher, Thanks....your install looks clean and straight forward. One possible issue I see is that, and this was brought to my attention by Billharr (thanks again Bill) from this site, that there are no holes for the faucet to sit in. There's some kind of plate in back....Always something isn't there, ha-ha.....wish me luck! I'm with MarkBC, and I want to get this done before my next trip which is in 1 1/2 weeks to FeatherFalls...

NorCalHawk said:
Billharr......Still looking into replacing the FWC faucet. I like the Bar type....Is it possible for you to take a photo of the plumbing under your sink to show how it all hooks up? I also have the electric pump and hot water heater.
Sorry late getting you an answer, have been camping in Big Sur :)
I did look at a bar faucet, they are expensive. I got this one on the black Friday sale for $19.99.

Here are some pictures.

Under the sink, I cut a piece of plywood drilled it for the faucet and screwed it into the rectangle hole.
gallery_1903_734_538.jpg

Faucet showing stainless plate to cover hole, mine faucet was to short to cover the hole
gallery_1903_734_11828.jpg

Pump showing the hose nuts I used. This is the strainer on the inlet. I used two of these 90 degree nuts.
gallery_1903_734_52967.jpg

NorCal - Congratulations! Glad to hear that it worked for you. How did it go? Any pictures to show the finished product?
Hope my pics will help others too.
Gregg

It went surprisingly well, w/o a hitch as they say. I bought a bar style faucet at Ace Hardware, and paid too much, but it is what I wanted. I disconnected the plastic faucet from the two (hot/cold) lines under the sink and slipped the plastic faucet up and out. Then attached the new faucet to the incoming water lines. The new faucet base plate just covered the rectangle hole that FWC cut to install their plastic faucet. To secure the new faucet to the counter, I disassembled the plastic faucet and used that base plate and placed it under the sink...the plate slipped over the hot/cold inlets and I used the plastic hand tight nuts that came with the new faucet to secure the faucet to the counter. Then ran a bead of silicone around the new faucet baseplate on top of the counter. Then the test....water pump turned on, faucet turned on, water is flowing from both hot/cold and NO leaks. Success! I'm ready for Feather Falls. I hope all this made sense.
Thanks Bill and Gregg.

Tried to download photos, but it says they are too big to upload???? Able to do just this one which shows original hook up. I'll try a find a way tomorrow...Frustrating. Sorry guys.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 172
I need to take a trip to the hardware store. I'm kicking around the idea instead of replacing the whole faucet, just modifying the spout. Not sure if I can do it cleanly but I have a couple ideas I want to look at.

Back
Top Bottom