Report on F-150 under Keystone to California

John D

This is the 1999 used truck, 73,000 miles. Eye bolts have been installed in bed, along with wiring connectors. Price of the truck was $4,500 plus $220.53 tax and license (Does not include insurance.) The truck came with only one key and a second one cost $130 from a Lincoln Mercury Dealer.

Attachments

• Face of the truck camper.JPG
    Face of the truck camper.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Make and model.JPG
    Make and model.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Six cylinder 4.2L.JPG
    Six cylinder 4.2L.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 109
The jack handle is missing. It is very difficult to use the spare tire without a jack handle on this vehicle. It has not been decided what to do about this as a new jack handle is 50 bucks from a dealer. A used one is being sought. The tires are two sizes over stock. They are 5 years old with good tread remaining. It is decided to use these tires and learn what gas mileage the truck will make with them. Obviously, the oversize tires will effectively cause the gearing to be higher and make the truck weaker in the mountains and higher elevations.

A picture of the suspension is with the Keystone loaded and tied down in the bed. Adequate suspension travel remains.

Attachments

• Stick shift.JPG
    Stick shift.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Tire make and size.JPG
    Tire make and size.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Loaded suspension.JPG
    Loaded suspension.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 129
Good looking rig at that price. You're going to enjoy it.
I'd be leery of running P metric tires on a loaded truck.

CamelRacer correctly observes and takes note in connection with the P-Metric tires which has caused a good deal of concern here too. The first inclination was a new set of tires. It became apparent the tires are two sizes over stock and there is an interest in evaluating the loss of hill pulling power, possible loss or gain in fuel mileage, drive-ability with the Keystone, and other things associated with the oversize tires. Thus, it was decided to keep these tires for the sake of reporting their performance to the forum.

An additional concern has to do with the age of the tires, being 5 years old. Manufacturers mostly claim tires have a 7 year life when not driven enough miles to appreciably wear the tread. Three of these tires have essentially no wear. The forth has minor cracks, possibly from the sun. That tire is being replaced with a new identical tire. They are Firestone Destination LE tires which are designed for light truck applications with a maximum inflation pressure of 44 psi. Load range C tires would have been the choice here. In light of these P-metric tires, gravel road driving may result in a flat and moderate speeds should be the norm all the time. Two spare tires will be carried.

The performance of these less than optimum tires should be an interesting part of the report.

An F-150 of 1999 vintage should have a crank handle stowed under the hood. See attached image. This crank is essential for lowering the spare and operating the jack. The jack and lug wrench are stowed under the passenger seat. The crank was missing from the subject used truck. In creating a check list for loading the truck camper, the missing tool was discovered. A new crank handle cost about $15 from the Ford dealer, a bargain if needed beside a deserted road.

One clever individual posted a statement in an F-150 discussion group that a hydraulic bottle jack carried in the truck would preclude the need for the proper crank handle stowed under the hood. However, there is nothing associated with a bottle jack that is useful for lowering the spare tire. Another equally resourceful less thoughtful poster suggested cutting the cable that retains the spare, but did not describe how to avoid the heavy wheel and tire falling on his face. Clearly, desperate circumstances attenuated pain.

In addition, some F-150s require a special key with the crank to unlock the spare tire. A service agent at the Ford dealer explained that this key device could prevent theft of an expensive alloy wheel. He had a complete set of the about 15 keys for use in determining the correct replacement if the original were lost. The F-150 operator manuals should include a card with a 3 digit number to ID the correct key in case it needs replacement. These keys cost about $25 when special ordered from a Ford supplier.

The discussion here is just fair warning to readers of this forum to be certain that all the tools necessary for changing a tire are properly stowed and carried aboard the truck. This also makes the case for a having a good check list.

Attachments

• Spare tire and jack crank.JPG
    Spare tire and jack crank.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 115
Having changed tires in the middle of nowhere before, I highly recommend making sure you have the proper tools to do the job. Its a common enough occurrance.

Having changed tires in the middle of nowhere before, I highly recommend making sure you have the proper tools to do the job. Its a common enough occurrance.

Been there.......
40 miles into a 12000 mile trip.
531458108_8F4Gz-S-1.jpg

In checking the security of the wheels with a lug wrench prior to the up coming Trans continental trip, it was discovered that the driver side front wheel had larger lug nuts than the other three wheels. Surprise, surprise, the lug wrench fit only three of the four wheels. The nuts on one of the wheels are too big!

Some good old boys I know who run a salvage yard told me, “Oh yeah, even though the hubs have the same part number, F-150s from back in 99 and 00 have different size lug nuts,.” Someone had put a hub on the left front of this truck with the wrong size studs and lug nuts.

Visions of a wheel coming off on a mountain curve appear. Further investigation reveals that the same wheels are used by Ford with both sizes of lugs. It is OK. These wheels are “hub centric”.

This is typical of the kind of rather dumb problems found with used vehicles. Previously, someone did not take the time to do work properly. There was probably a momentary rationalization of no danger of the wheel falling off. However, what about the poor person who finds himself or herself with a flat on the loneliest road with the wrong lug wrench.

Again folks, this is fair warning to check your vehicle thoroughly before going to remote places, especially a used vehicle. Know your truck. See the attached image. John D

Attachments

• Different lugs.JPG
    Different lugs.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 114
In checking the security of the wheels with a lug wrench prior to the up coming Trans continental trip, it was discovered that the driver side front wheel had larger lug nuts than the other three wheels. Surprise, surprise, the lug wrench fit only three of the four wheels. The nuts on one of the wheels are too big!

Some good old boys I know who run a salvage yard told me, “Oh yeah, even though the hubs have the same part number, F-150s from back in 99 and 00 have different size lug nuts,.” Someone had put a hub on the left front of this truck with the wrong size studs and lug nuts.

Visions of a wheel coming off on a mountain curve appear. Further investigation reveals that the same wheels are used by Ford with both sizes of lugs. It is OK. These wheels are “hub centric”.

This is typical of the kind of rather dumb problems found with used vehicles. Previously, someone did not take the time to do work properly. There was probably a momentary rationalization of no danger of the wheel falling off. However, what about the poor person who finds himself or herself with a flat on the loneliest road with the wrong lug wrench.

Again folks, this is fair warning to check your vehicle thoroughly before going to remote places, especially a used vehicle. Know your truck. See the attached image. John D

Just goes to show its always good to op check your rig from time to time. Especially before big trips.

We are under way and put about 400 interstate miles on the rig the last 2 1/2 days. Fuel economy seems good. This 4.2L Ford V6 is not particularly powerful or smooth when the manual transmission is downshifted on a hill. We have theories as to why most modern air quality fuel economy gas engines run like this and we wonder out loud how the little 4.2L will do in the far distant Rocky Mountain passes.

We are in Salt Lake City.

The first night out was spent in a Fling J near Land of Lakes Kentucky. The second night we popped up in the RV parking area of a Flying J near Limon, Co. The camper is full of heavy stuff R. is taking to our children out west. We are obviously overloaded. While R. was loading the camper back in Alabama, I kept my mouth shut and resolved to drive this overloaded truck to SLC come hell or high water. I made no complaints about carrying too much junk, figuring we would get rid of it in SLC. One of the girls is getting married, so one can imagine what is being moved by using a Keystone as a van.

We did do some real camping and touring in Colorado. There is a nice "city" campground owned by the city of Rifle about 20 miles north of town. The readers will have to pardon me for not remembering all the names of the places we explored and camped. I have notes I will write up later but they are not with me here at the "computer of opportunity". It was a canyon with cliffs famous over the world with rock climbers and there were numerous rock climbers camped near us. They like something about the quality of the rock here.

Once in the camping area, the roads were dirt. Local knowledge suggested the roads were in better shape than charted on our map. However, with all the extra weight, we turned around and back tracked on one place rather than attempt the 4WD only road with our overloaded 2WD F-150. We did not want to miss the wedding.

Prior to reaching Rifle, we stopped to spend part of the day attending a street fair in Vail, Co. It was very nice. Parking was free most places. We parked on the main drag, just short of the down town area and walked in. A hot dog was only $7 at one of the food stands. Vail is not necessarily FWC country, it is certainly not my cup of tea but worth a visit. I did not learn anything about places to camp in Vail.

Once popped up and camped for the night north of Rifle, I sruck up a conversation with Terrel who was camped nearby in a large 5th wheel. He is a local, born and raised in the area. He shared local knowledge with me on roads we might be able to travel. We took his advice and went through Irish Canyon on our way to Rock Springs and I-80. He said he takes his 5th wheel pretty much anywhere he wants around that part of Colorado and spends at least 2 weekends a month camping with his wife, two small children and two big dogs. Terrel works as a heavy equipment operator in oil and gas exploration, about the only way for a high school graduate to make a 100K a year in Rifle. He is presently drilling a gas well. He said guys from the Gulf of Mexico area are coming out west looking for work because their operations have been shut down at home.

Performance of the f-150 - Even though we are overloaded, the truck handles very well. This truck has a standard cab and 8 foot bed. It is a real truck, not a 6 foot bed toy model. We have been careful to load heavy items forward. There are no load assisting modifications added on to this truck. There are absolutely no handling issues at all.

The engine is another matter. It is not running well. It seems to be starved for fuel in higher RPM ranges when climbing mountains. As long as we sort of lug along, the engine runs fine but if we down shift to gain speed for passing, we start having a surge and hesitation. Fuel mileage has been between 15 at the lowest and 18 at the highest. We have found nothing but gasohol fuel available. Of course, that type of gasoline cost a couple of miles per gallon. If we are going to use gasoline for fuel, I guess we might as well get use to gasohol.

We filled up with a tank of 91 octane for the last tank into SLC, in hopes that it might clean the fuel injectors ... if that is the problem. I purchased some fuel system cleaner at the AutoZone in SLC and put a bottle of it in the tank. I'm trying this first before doing more to determine the problem. The engine starts well and runs well, but not fast. I WILL APPRECIATE ANY SUGGESTIONS, (other than buy a diesel.) :) We may look into that later, but for this trip it is a 4.2L six.

With this type of truck, being rather underpowered compared to other modern trucks, a good bit of gear shift work is required of the driver. The engine is so quiet that it gives no signals to the driver about which gear you are in, or when the engine is loaded. The trucks and cars I grew up with has lots of noise in first and second. A modern stick shift F-150 is QUIET. R. has an easier time driving this rig than I do, so I'm taking lessons from her. Can you believe it, she is getting better gas mileage than I do, and she is a woman! GRRRRR. She is being nice about it, which makes everything OK. Seriously, I think her secret is to avoid using cruise control. With the truck heavily laden, as we are, cruise control is probably a disadvantage in fuel economy. R has a better feel for the truck because she always has her foot on the gas pedal and is getting more feedback from the truck by not using cruise control.

John D

hey hey hey i have a short bed!

man oh man.......a wedding....wow ! i feel for ya.

good status! this is entertaining. hey the "off'ed a diesel" thread has some new info in it. keep going!

Sounds like a Mexican truck, underpowered and overloaded. :D At 8000' you may have lost 40 hp from sea level. You mileage seems fine, I think you owe the truck an apology! I thought my 4.6 was underwhelming and opted for the 7.3.

We did do some real camping and touring in Colorado. There is a nice "city" campground owned by the city of Rifle about 20 miles north of town. The readers will have to pardon me for not remembering all the names of the places we explored and camped. I have notes I will write up later but they are not with me here at the "computer of opportunity". It was a canyon with cliffs famous over the world with rock climbers and there were numerous rock climbers camped near us. They like something about the quality of the rock here.

Once in the camping area, the roads were dirt. Local knowledge suggested the roads were in better shape than charted on our map. However, with all the extra weight, we turned around and back tracked on one place rather than attempt the 4WD only road with our overloaded 2WD F-150. We did not want to miss the wedding.

Prior to reaching Rifle, we stopped to spend part of the day attending a street fair in Vail, Co. It was very nice. Parking was free most places. We parked on the main drag, just short of the down town area and walked in. A hot dog was only $7 at one of the food stands. Vail is not necessarily FWC country, it is certainly not my cup of tea but worth a visit. I did not learn anything about places to camp in Vail.

Hey JohnD

You have a flatlander truck that isn't tuned for the altitude (IMO). Back in the "old" days cars/trucks would "Vapor lock" (as my dad called it) and just crap out. You'd always see folks with the hood up and lowland plates wonderin WTF happened. these days it's more sputtering and coughing than full-on immobilization, but I see trucks and cars here dailly that are "smoking" a bit and you can tell they aren't running properly.

I live 15 miles West of Vail and i gotta disagree that it isn't FWC country! (there are 5 in this valley I know of from time to time). "Vail" is no true representation of this area, FWIW. It's for the TOUROIDS/the RICH/the CORPORATE crowd.

And geez...where did you get a steal of a deal on a hot dog for only $7?? LOL. EVERYTHING here is more expensive. (like my house!)

Wish I'd known you were in the area and I would have given you some camping spots ideas. The White river forest encompasses the Vail Valley...and it's (I believe) the largest NF in Colorado. Camping is everywhere...even within mere minutes of DisneyLa...'er...Vail proper. Glad ya caught the Street fair. I think there was an arts show last weekends but we have "Farmer's Markets" all over the valley in multiplre towns every weekend here-. A great place to pick up some of our incredible peaches, appples, cherries or Olathe sweet corn.

I'm guessing you were in Rifle Mountain Park from your description. I'ts just above the fish hatchery. Another spot in the same area is Rifle Falls State Park. Developed camping/fee camping/pad camping.....but probably one of the nicest CG's of that sort I've been in in awhile. A spot by Rifle Creek will drowned out and noise from those nasty generators and such...

Don't wanna get too political...the rifle area (and more) is being DESTROYED by natrual gas mining operations. (check Google maps in NW colorado/NE utah...it's pocked to Hell with roads and drill rigs) It's incredibly sad to see what they are doing to the Rifle/Meeker/Rangely area. Incredible sad and incredibly short-sighted. Lands/waterways that took millions of years to form are being destroyed in mere minutes by the heavy equipment and chemicals they are pumping into the ground to force the gas up to the surface. Thankfully the economy tanked on em and the destruction has slowed...but....
(off of soapbox)

I hope the truck hangs in there for ya....but again...I'm guessing it has everything to do with the altitude/improper tuning/etc. and what barko said...you lose 1/3 or more of yer power simply from altitude..so most trucks cars seems damn wimpy up here after having em somewhere that has lotsa air and humidity to chew on....

good luck. Be safe.

mtn

This note is from Coos Bay Oregon. We made it this far though with engine trouble. AutoZone has been my friend with several purchases of fuel system cleaner, spark plug wires, plugs and lots of local knowledge about the sights to see. The engine has been starving for fuel. When I changed the plugs, they were burned up, a sign of running too lean. I finally figured out the fuel tank is rusty ... a real problem with the best solution being to change fuel tanks. That will have to wait until back home in Alabama.

I am sending this from a public library machine, so I'm not going to ask the about sending pictures. That can wait until we get home.

We have seen plenty, including but not limited to 7 Devils Lake, Hells Canyon, Mt. Rainer, Olympic Peninsula, Washington and we are now touring the Oregon coast. We have had lots of memorable camp. John D

John D.,

Enjoyed reading your truck report, and trip report. You sure are working that V6 hard. Hope it holds up okay for the trip back home. But you know, even my old school '77 Chevy with a 350 motor has a difficult time in the high elevations. I'm amazed your truck hauls the Keystone without any additional helper springs. And your fuel mileage is better then mine, I only get about 12 mpg with the Grandby onboard.

Good luck and send pics when you can,
Buzz

Back
Top Bottom