Report on F-150 under Keystone to California

Yes, changing the fuel filer is a good suggestion. To this point, I have changed it four times. Each time the used filter is full of crud. It seems like the amount is gradually going down. Last time, the engine ran properly for about 120 miles before starving for fuel. If we stop, as in seeing a sight, and shut down, the engine runs better for a while, then goes back to the old problem. I figure what is happening is the filter contamination settles off the face of the fuel filter element when the truck sits still with the engine off. I changed the filter this morning and used a cooking pot to pour the filter contents into, so I could check what is there. It is a fine very dark brown substance that quickly settles to the bottom of the pot when I swirrel it around.

We are presently in the RV park aboard Fallon Naval Air Station. (I am sending this from the base "liberty" cennter.) Last night, the temperature for sleeping was nice. We were awakened early by fighters taking off to start their day of Top Gun school. That was quite an alarm clock. I saw some of the pilots at the base Subway shop later in the morning. These are sharp dudes. R wants to stay here an extra day to take in some groceries for the planned off road venture with the Oregon California Trails Convention pre-convention trip. We are planning to follow the Donner route around the Ruby Mountians. We have been advised to leave our camper parked the first day as the planned route is over rough trail. I have been assigned to ride with a prominent Mormon historian, which will be quite a privildged. The guy is about 80 and knows the remote areas of the western Utah, Idaho, and Nevada desert better than any other man alive. He has written and lectured on the subject, so I will be more than happy to leave our rig parked for the day. The road and trails on the second two days are suppose to be less challanging but I will stick with the historian if I can.

Tomorrow, we are looking at driving Route 50 across Nevada. I plan to stop by the Fallon Ford dealer and buy a regulation Ford fuel filter. The AutoZone is across the street where I also plan to buy another cheapy fuel filter. Incidentally, there is a trick to changing the fuel filter which requires a little tool to release the "quick dis-connect" couplers to the fuel filter. There are a couple of clips plus four clips inside the quick disconnect. The little tool slides on to retract "fingers" that snap in place. The trick it to apply a touch of grease to the tool before inserting it and a little grease on the filter tubes before sliding on the connectors. Then the connector can be gently pryed off with a large screw driver. As I have become rather expert at this procedure, when I get back to Alabama, I should take some pictures of how this procedure is done. One never knows when you might need to know.

We stopped at the Donner Camp east of Truckee and took some pictures. It is so sad at that camp site, even the birds do not sing. Down town Truckee is a tourist trap but a new National Forest Service center has been built up by the highway which will be helpful to those wishing to scout the trail of the Donner Party through the area. It was not quite open yet, but close.

We are topped off with water for the Loneliest Road Route 50 and no one knows where we will camp along the way. Several years ago, I spotted two mountain lions crossing that same road, which made us a bit cautious about sleeping out under the stars. I have my old Model 10 with me this trip (as if it would do any good). Later ... John D

Yes, changing the fuel filer is a good suggestion. To this point, I have changed it four times. Each time the used filter is full of crud. It seems like the amount is gradually going down. Last time, the engine ran properly for about 120 miles before starving for fuel. If we stop, as in seeing a sight, and shut down, the engine runs better for a while, then goes back to the old problem. I figure what is happening is the filter contamination settles off the face of the fuel filter element when the truck sits still with the engine off. I changed the filter this morning and used a cooking pot to pour the filter contents into, so I could check what is there. It is a fine very dark brown substance that quickly settles to the bottom of the pot when I swirrel it around.

We are presently in the RV park aboard Fallon Naval Air Station. (I am sending this from the base "liberty" cennter.) Last night, the temperature for sleeping was nice. We were awakened early by fighters taking off to start their day of Top Gun school. That was quite an alarm clock. I saw some of the pilots at the base Subway shop later in the morning. These are sharp dudes. R wants to stay here an extra day to take in some groceries for the planned off road venture with the Oregon California Trails Convention pre-convention trip. We are planning to follow the Donner route around the Ruby Mountians. We have been advised to leave our camper parked the first day as the planned route is over rough trail. I have been assigned to ride with a prominent Mormon historian, which will be quite a privildged. The guy is about 80 and knows the remote areas of the western Utah, Idaho, and Nevada desert better than any other man alive. He has written and lectured on the subject, so I will be more than happy to leave our rig parked for the day. The road and trails on the second two days are suppose to be less challanging but I will stick with the historian if I can.

Tomorrow, we are looking at driving Route 50 across Nevada. I plan to stop by the Fallon Ford dealer and buy a regulation Ford fuel filter. The AutoZone is across the street where I also plan to buy another cheapy fuel filter. Incidentally, there is a trick to changing the fuel filter which requires a little tool to release the "quick dis-connect" couplers to the fuel filter. There are a couple of clips plus four clips inside the quick disconnect. The little tool slides on to retract "fingers" that snap in place. The trick it to apply a touch of grease to the tool before inserting it and a little grease on the filter tubes before sliding on the connectors. Then the connector can be gently pryed off with a large screw driver. As I have become rather expert at this procedure, when I get back to Alabama, I should take some pictures of how this procedure is done. One never knows when you might need to know.

We stopped at the Donner Camp east of Truckee and took some pictures. It is so sad at that camp site, even the birds do not sing. Down town Truckee is a tourist trap but a new National Forest Service center has been built up by the highway which will be helpful to those wishing to scout the trail of the Donner Party through the area. It was not quite open yet, but close.

We are topped off with water for the Loneliest Road Route 50 and no one knows where we will camp along the way. Several years ago, I spotted two mountain lions crossing that same road, which made us a bit cautious about sleeping out under the stars. I have my old Model 10 with me this trip (as if it would do any good). Later ... John D

John,
We are really enjoying your posts. There is a lot of great camping along US 50 -- which seemed much lonelier the first time I drove it in 1985. We camped at Bob Scott Campground just east of Austin, NV, a great stop, eat, sleep and get going again place. I think it was $5.00 with our Senior Pass. Beautiful scenery, too and flush toilets!!

If you get time, you might want to visit Great Basin National Park. We tent camped there at Baker Creek CG for five days around the Fourth of July. I think the GC is located at about 7600 elevation. Incredibly clear skies.

If that V-6 will make it you might enjoy the drive up Wheeler Peak Scenic Parkway. We hiked from the upper CG to the glacier -- the only glacier in Nevada! You pass thru a Bristlecone pine grove and then cross several snow fields and a "rock glacier" on the way to the small alpine glacier in the cirque.

Hope your trip continues to be a great memory maker. Keep the posts coming!

Attachments

• DSCF6216_resize.jpg
    DSCF6216_resize.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 111
This is being written from Wells, Nevada. This will be our second night here camped up in a National Forest campground about 8 miles out of town. It is cool nice sleeping up there. We meet our group which includes 14 vehicles at about 7 AM and spend all day exploring. The last two days we have been exploring the Hastings Cutoff of the California Trail, near the Ruby Mountains. The Bidwell Bartelson, Donner Party, Fremont and others played a role in establishing these trails. I might have taken the Four Wheel Camper on these trails ... maybe ... but it would have been torn up. We have been riding with prople who have real 4X4 vehicles. This has given me a different perspective on using truck campers off road. I sort of conclude that off road ventures with any camper should be kept on the mild side. The dust and stress on the rig would be really damaging; and for what?

The places we have gone the last two days could not be found or understood without guides and we have the best in the world, a dozen people who have been exploring and studying the immigrant trails for lifetimes. These folks are serious and include a number of teachers. Some of these folks have their own web sites and actually sell books on the subject. These publications are for serious historians and explorers of the remote parts of the west. I will give the contact informmation when I have time. I will also post some pictures.

For those interested, look up OCTA (Oregon California Trails Association) and Trails West, etc.

John D

Here is a web by the leader of our explorations in northern Nevada;

http://www.xmission.com/~octa/RTFrames.htm

Back
Top Bottom