Rock rails versus Running boards

Idahostat

Advanced Member
Hello Group

After my basic course it was suggested that i consider getting rock rails to protect my door panels.

I have received comments from shorter people who "climbed" into my F350 that I should get running boards, steps, maybe a ladder.

My off road course instructors pointed out that running boards and steps frequently get bent if traversing poor roads ( these guys are primarily trail drivers, and drive jeeps in the Rubicon flavor, so that is where they are coming from ).

Now wile I will avoid most trails I will make mistakes in estimating so I would like some protection ( door panels ) and functionality for my shorter passengers.

In researching, my problem is I have a 2017 and there are no "rock rails" in general available yet ( found one set of "chrome pretty" which begs the question rock or no rock ). Anyone have rock rails made if so by whom?

Steel not aluminum, apparently a Ford Raptor on a supervised training run had aluminum "rock rails" and when it slide side ways on rock incline the weight of the Raptor crushed the aluminum into sealing the doors ( apparently 5 guys bouncing in sync where able to un-seal the door held shut by the "rail".

Designs you have seen, liked and if you have actually seen them work, take a ding or worse maybe. Pictures would be very good.

Terence

I always thought that sliders or running boards were just things to get hung up on. If you damage your doors on a vehicle that passenger think is to high to get into, then you have grossly underestimated the road/trail or grossly overestimated your driving abilities.

cwd

IMHO Running boards are steps and offer no real physical protection. On the other hand "sliders" or "rock rails" have many advantages.
Side protection if you slide off the trail/road, the ability to slide on them over rocks, can be used as a pivot point, lifting the truck with a hi-lift (or other jack).
Cheers!

cwdtmmrs said:
I always thought that sliders or running boards were just things to get hung up on. If you damage your doors on a vehicle that passenger think is to high to get into, then you have grossly underestimated the road/trail or grossly overestimated your driving abilities.

cwd
Sliders and running boards are two very different things. Sliders attach to the vehicle frame and, at least mine, don't stick down below it.

cwdtmmrs said:

cwd
You never know when sliders are needed if you are actually exploring. There are multitudes of places that sliders are needed to prevent rocker and even door damage. I'm pretty experienced off road and ride with others that are just as or more experienced. Sure in my jeep I have options of lines taken a lot of the time. However in my Superduty not so much. We came around corners and I HAD TO slide over ledges or turn around (if possible) If the OP plans on getting out and about sliders are well worth the "Warm Fuzzy" of having them when needed. That said a full size 1 ton needs a good set to protect with all that weight. Do your homework before buying. Oh and sliders can help with access to the cab ;)

Running boards are the stuff that you leave behind on the trail somewhere unintentionally. Hopefully you don't get a flat from running them over just after tearing them off.

Sliders protect the sides from underestimating a trail or over estimating driving skill; sometimes both. Done well they can also function as a step. Suggest deck grip tape be applied where they will be stepped on or deck traction additive be added to the piant used on the top surfaces.

Built with that need in mind I see no reason that sliders can't replace a low-hanging camper tie-down bracket. I'd prefer sliders to the bracket anyway. Those brackets have always looked like rock catchers to me.

If you want sliders I'd suggest having them custom built. I think you're going to have a hard time finding some aftermarkets that will be up to the task. That said, if you're somewhere in your truck and you need them, then you're more man and more adventurous than I am. I have taken my old truck off the beaten path and I never munched a running board. I did have a lift that allowed me to go a bit further tho. If I don't know whats ahead, I'll walk and scout it out. The long wheel base is not a lot of fun to wheel in tight quarters.

The 17's are tall and it's not real easy to get in the truck without some sort of step. I didn't get the factory running boards as they hang lower than I liked for what I do. I ended up with some Magnum RT steps that hug the body nicely. However had I known, I would have gotten the factory boars and then used the F150 brackets which will tuck the board up nice and tight to the body. I feel like I have plenty of ground clearance on mine and figure if I don't I'll add a 2" leveling kit up front and bump up to 37's. Just my 2 cents.

x2 on the custom sliders. Off the shelf stuff won't support a 1 ton with a camper! The longer the wheel base the more likely you'll high center the truck on the rockers. No reason they can't be built to replace the camper tie down as well.

My Tundra came with running boards on it. They are handy for my small wife. but actually get in my way getting in and out of the truck. They've also kept me from doing much back country with the truck so far. I've been too lazy to take them off.

The ironic thing about sliders is that they actually reduce your ground clearance somewhat, making contact more likely. However, contacting a rock on the sheet-metal pinch weld is painful and painfully expensive. If you had a custom set made there's no reason you couldn't specify a set of plug-in steps that could be removed when needed.

My 2005 F250 came with low hanging chrome tubular running boards/steps. I finally got tired of banging them up a couple of years ago and got some Westin HDX steps that are a bit higher and more tucked in. They look good and give me a few more inches of clearance while still providing a decent step. I know these are not going to be boulder proof but I could not find true sliders for my truck.

Captm said:
If you do not sliders but want a step that does not protrude check out http://www.amp-research.com/.

Cheers!
I have a F-350 also and it came without any running boards. I ended up raising the front end 2" by getting new springs and shocks to level the truck and make it slightly better off-road.
Now I realize that a F-350 is never going to be a rock crawler and that's ok as most of what we do with our pop up campers on will restrict where we go to some extent. My wife is also about 5 ft tall so I ended up getting the Amp Research steps and absolutely love them.

They are tucked up out of the way when your driving so they won't get caught like the factory running boards but when the door is opened they actually extend down more that the factory steps making ingress and egree so much easier.

Attachments

• IMG_626.jpg
    IMG_626.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 114
Was in a similar situation when I picked up my 2016 F350. Wanted protection, and a step was requested by the wife. Looked at the amp research ones, liked them but had a client in MT have an issue with them operating correctly in the winter due to frozen slush.
Talked to several shops about having them built but most were around the 2k point.
Saw someone at overland west, and he hooked me up with a company in Spokane, WA. Luke and the guys at Hazzard Fabworx built a great set of sliders for me at a price I could live with.
Completely custom and they are great to deal with.

I have made a couple sets of extra heavy duty nerf bars.
I used thick wall 2.5" pipe and bend it on each end to mout to the frame.
it must stick out farther than the doors to be any protection.
I have added strips of aluminium diamond plate to the top for traction to step onto.

I bought my truck way back when from a gentleman who used it to tow a 5th wheel he and his wife had so it had never been much off the asphalt I don't believe. I think the decision on something to bolt on each side gets down to what you intend on doing with the truck. If you are off-roading and rock-climbing some Rubicon-type trails then the highest clearance steps you can find will be best. That is after you have added skid plates and protection under the truck.

If on the other hand you don't see that happening then perhaps comfort is a priority and the ability to get UP and into your rig several times a day when traveling is more important. Adding taller tires will raise the cab up as will an overloaded rear axle so some thoughts along those lines would be a good idea.

We never took the old Lance on our '88 F-250 too far out in the boonies more than a couple times but I think branches scraping things on the side and overhead were a bigger problem for us....I did get out an scout ahead now and then and found that removing a potential offending rock or just going around it were sufficient. Roads in worse condition usually meant less competition for the more remote and beautiful camping spots but you have to weigh in the damage against that when deciding to try some camping spot roads.

1988 XLT F-250 4x4 460 Gasser.jpg

Sliders all the way. It was the first thing I bought for my truck and have saved me damage a few times. There are a lot of companies who make them and I'd bet there is something you can find without having to do a custom job. Check a Ford forum for model specific brands.

I have a pair of Slee Offroad sliders sitting in my garage waiting to be installed on the Tundra. Cost aside, they ticked off every box for me.
1. They are load bearing sliders, and I can jack up the truck from them if need be. 2. They are true sliders, and will protect the truck if called upon. 3. They function as a step rail as well....important if I'm to keep my Wife happy. and 4. They are solid platform (not tubular) so the dogs can not get their paws stuck between any tubes if they happen to plant a paw on them.

These things are super beefy and strong, at first look the quality of the Slee product is amazing and top notch. The freight packaging they came in is worthy of a medal. I sell/service medical equipment for a living and I have ordered in 20K power wheelchairs that aren't as well packaged and protected as these sliders were.

Attachments

• Slee sliders.jpg
    Slee sliders.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 117
Hello Group

Gee Whizz, thanks for all the responses, just back in Boise from the trip south for the class ( I posted the question/request just after the off road class, and have not check back since ).

One of the reasons for the rock slider was a lift point for extraction/lifting via hi-lift jack and the problem is the weight of the elephant ( that would be "my" F350/Camper combo ) and finding that most of the "mall crawler" sliders are not for weight bearing in my vehicle category. Doing "Home Work" as several have mentioned.

I have no intention of "rock crawling" however I do make, and will make for a period of time ( I express hope that I can learn from my mistakes ) judgement errors on the roads less traveled, scouting should reduce the number of the aforementioned mistakes, still lifting the truck after finding the soil/sand was "shiftier" than expected so as to place traction boards/mats under the wheels so self extraction would be possible is one of the major reasons behind the rational for looking for weight bearing "rock rails".

The people who run the off road courses require the rock rails for the self extraction class ( so I have made some assumptions as to usage of the required rails ).

Thanks for the Slee, and the "Hazzard Fabwerks" references, I will investigate as time permits, also had a suggestion for a "Rock Slider rails" in Utah, have not found them yet.

Terence

Back
Top Bottom