roof lifting helper shocks thingys

After installing Suspa gas springs externally on my Fleet front and rear, I discovered that I could not get the front top to come down all the way. Too much force with two 40lb springs at the front. It keeps popping up also.The rear is ok with two gas springs. In fact works perfectly. So I contacted Suspa, which has great customer support and was given the part number for similar springs but in a 30 lb force version. C16-22241. Great I thought, that was easy. So going to the suspa website and plugging in the part numbers, I am shocked to see that the 30 lb versions are not $20 like the 40lb versions but are $90 each. OMG! Is this a mistake? No Suspa confirms they are $90 each because they are not a normally stocked version and are made up on demand. Also takes 3 weeks to get them. So if anyone comes up with a reasonably priced 30lb version of the springs please let us know. Otherwise I am going to be driving around with one spring on the front of my Fleet or two springs and a pair of 4 x4s on the roof. Or perhaps always carrying my canoe around. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

frank here.i also have the 40-# all around.the front does want to lift on its own.i find by unlatching all the hold down clamps but leaving the fronts just hooked i can control the front.just apply some downward force and the latches pop off, than let the top raise.when i lower it i just pull down on the wood push bar and have the wife hook the front latches.than lowed the rear.than go outside and latch down all the clamps.simple.if there isn't anyone to help use a bungee to hold the front down.try hooking one end to the push bar and the other to the sliding window frame,than you can go out side and fasten down the clamps.works for me.i think that by having only one lifter raise the roof it may push the top to one side a little.not sure here since i use both.they sure work nice.i'am glad i installed them.since i do carry a canoe sometimes it sure makes the up and down a lot simpler.and the fact that they are not in the way on the inside i can live with the top wanting to open by itself.i think that if the fronts were mounted like the rears,ie,almost horizontal when closed it may help.i think the angle difference makes the force different.you might move the bottom front brackets higher up on the front frame just below the trim piece.good luck.frank

Frank,

Not trying to be a jerk but sometimes your posts really make the eyes sore reading on the computer screen. Would you mind capitalizing the start of the sentences so it helps break it up for the eyes?

Frank,

Not trying to be a jerk but sometimes your posts really make the eyes sore reading on the computer screen. Would you mind capitalizing the start of the sentences so it helps break it up for the eyes?

No problem. My wife says i need to use capitols also. Not being a typist i don't bother with them. Thanks for the call.I will try to use them in the future. FRANK

I have not posted for a while on WTW but check it at least once a week to see what is going on, very informative, after reading this thread I decided to add the gas springs on the inside like they install them at the FWC factory, after using them last weekend i decide to order and add them on the back also (outside like saints)my wife 5'2" can now lift the front but still struggles with the back, so I will have them inside by the bed (removes easily) and outside by the back door. I will post the results when I get the next set, thanks again for the great ideas

Great thread, so much info here. I just put a second fan in over the bed, so now it is two fans, one 85 watt panel at 17 pounds and then my small plywood shooting platform on the back of the rack. It's a bit heavy, but still doable.

But I would like to store my 24 pound bike on the rack as well so the 40 lb shocks might be the ticket!

Attachments

• Roof.jpg
    Roof.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 351
Great thread, so much info here. I just put a second fan in over the bed, so now it is two fans, one 85 watt panel at 17 pounds and then my small plywood shooting platform on the back of the rack. It's a bit heavy, but still doable.

But I would like to store my 24 pound bike on the rack as well so the 40 lb shocks might be the ticket!

They will work great. I carry my canoe and the lifters really go a great job of helping to lift the extra weight.Also as an added bonus the top doesn't slam down on top of you.

Frank

Don't know much about the roof lifter helper shock thingys, but it was good to meet you today. I'm the guy on the honda Trail 90 at the platform by the beach. I'll occasionally post on the 4 wheel camper site of this forum. My 9 year old daughter and I frequent the desert in season and the Sierras the rest of the year. Hope to run into you both again.
Steve

Hayduke,

good to hear from you. Valerie and I are going to be heading for Oxnard on the 21st for a surf trip. When you and I first met, I thought you were talking about my board when you told me you had one of those. It took me a minute to realise you were talking about the camper. We love it. This will only be our second long time trip (over two nights) that we have taken in this.

we were planning on going to Emma Wood state park, but we dont want to have to carry our port a potty because you have to be self contained and i believe you need reservations. instead we are going to McGrath state park a bit more south to stay. Wish us luck with the surf!!

Scott

Well, finally got my struts installed this weekend...There's also a set on the front, but forgot to take picture and it's dark out now. They work great!!

Ted, Did you get the struts installed at ATC? Did you get the 40# shocks? Do you have the problem that some have mentioned regarding dificulty in keeping the front in the closed position while lowering the rear. Do you have additional weight on the roof? Thanks, Richard

Ted, Did you get the struts installed at ATC? Did you get the 40# shocks? Do you have the problem that some have mentioned regarding dificulty in keeping the front in the closed position while lowering the rear. Do you have additional weight on the roof? Thanks, Richard

Actually, Deltarat is Bob. I'm sure he'll chime in and answer that for me. :) Seriously, we are planning to add a rack and copying Frank's modification for carrying a canoe. When we do, we'll likely do this mod as well. So I've been following this thread and am interested in any and all info people are offering. Along those lines, has anyone confirmed the pre-threaded holes on the roof. I looked on our 2003 and was not able to locate anything like that.

Actually, Deltarat is Bob. I'm sure he'll chime in and answer that for me. :) Seriously, we are planning to add a rack and copying Frank's modification for carrying a canoe. When we do, we'll likely do this mod as well. So I've been following this thread and am interested in any and all info people are offering. Along those lines, has anyone confirmed the pre-threaded holes on the roof. I looked on our 2003 and was not able to locate anything like that.

Sorry Ted . . . . . my mistake. I'll wait for Bob's reply.

Sorry Ted . . . . . my mistake. I'll wait for Bob's reply.

Hey Link, Yes Marty and I installed the struts at ATC. Since they had never installed a set, Marty insisted I bring the camper over and we'd
do it together. They've done several sets since then.

My camper is an older '96 Grandby with the short overhang and with 40# struts fore and aft, I have no problem getting either end to stay down.There seems to be a "break-over" point when lowering that the top settles down. On both ends, when down, it doesn't take much to get
it to float back up, but they do stay down. I did have to add a handle in the rear to aid in pulling the top down as there really wasn't anywhere to grab (photo attached).

Presently there is nothing on the roof besides the factory rack, and it has 2 Fantastic fans. I've just ordered a 100 watt solar panel (The RV100) from AM Solar (http://www.amsolar.com/rv100.html) , and it's suppose to weigh 19.5 lbs. I'll report back when I receive it and get it installed.

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 408
Hey Link, Yes Marty and I installed the struts at ATC. Since they had never installed a set, Marty insisted I bring the camper over and we'd
do it together. They've done several sets since then.

My camper is an older '96 Grandby with the short overhang and with 40# struts fore and aft, I have no problem getting either end to stay down.There seems to be a "break-over" point when lowering that the top settles down. On both ends, when down, it doesn't take much to get
it to float back up, but they do stay down. I did have to add a handle in the rear to aid in pulling the top down as there really wasn't anywhere to grab (photo attached).

Presently there is nothing on the roof besides the factory rack, and it has 2 Fantastic fans. I've just ordered a 100 watt solar panel (The RV100) from AM Solar (http://www.amsolar.com/rv100.html) , and it's suppose to weigh 19.5 lbs. I'll report back when I receive it and get it installed.

Thanks Bob, I'll look forward to your updates.
Richard

When installing these struts over the back door, what exactly are you drilling into at the roof level? I just want to be certain I don't puncture the liner material up there.

I bought the roof lift "kit" from 4WC and installed it inside on my Hawk with extended bed, it works great. Now I would like to add struts to the outside rear and found the struts on Suspa's web site but I can't seem to find the nice offset brackets that you show in your close up photo. They look like they fit just right. All that Suspa seems to offer is flat or right angle ones. Where did you get your offset brackets?

I bought the roof lift "kit" from 4WC and installed it inside on my Hawk with extended bed, it works great. Now I would like to add struts to the outside rear and found the struts on Suspa's web site but I can't seem to find the nice offset brackets that you show in your close up photo. They look like they fit just right. All that Suspa seems to offer is flat or right angle ones. Where did you get your offset brackets?

only place I could find them was EBAY.
Rob

I bought my brackets on line from Maxum Hardware, $1.18 each.
Link:
http://www.maxumhardware.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=16_29&products_id=4

Rob I got mine on ebay look under r-v trader $ 2.99 each

Item number: 380240023399
Item location: Washington, United States

hope this helps
Phil

When installing these struts over the back door, what exactly are you drilling into at the roof level? I just want to be certain I don't puncture the liner material up there.

Anyone??

I think that it dose go into the liner at the top, but all the other screws go in it to. I used sealant before putting the screws in. Look at the pictures in the post. I have not had any roof leaks.

Back
Top Bottom