roof lifting helper shocks thingys

After a lot of reading and thinking and measuring, I have decided to go with the quick release interior gas struts as shown on ETAV8R's post #262 & #263. I really like the bimini hardware and spring loaded pins. Thanks for the detailed info ETAV8R. It looks like a much easier install than the exterior mounted systems and I like that the gas struts are protected from the weather, bug splatter, etc.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/2974-roof-lifting-helper-shocks-thingys/page-27

Since I will have a fair amount of weight to carry, Yakima tracks, cross bars, 2 kayaks (150lbs +/- total) I went with 2x 75lb struts.

I have also ordered a speaker lift - I found a Canadian dealer selling for $115 and free shipping on amazon.ca

Thanks to everyone for the huge amount of useful information on this and several other lift system threads.

Glad to hear my posts are helping out. Seems like most everyone has been doing exterior struts for a while. Please post pics when you get it done. All the credit goes to Overland Hadley. He's been off the forums for quite a while after his truck/camper were stolen. Hope he is well.

It's funny, before I got my camper I was sure I would want the exterior struts. But, now I have the camper and have done more research, I really like the idea of the quick release interior struts combined with the speaker lift. The install looks much easier and less prone to leaks if I screw up (the fewer holes in the exterior the better). Also the rear wall of my camper does not really seem to have enough space for the struts, with the roof clamps, awning track, lights, bimini brackets, etc it is pretty crowded. I can also easily remove the struts if not carrying anything on the roof for a while.

Update: well this sucks...

[SIZE=10pt]"Due to the complexity of U.S. export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international orders only from businesses. This decision also applies to orders shipping within the United States, because it is based on the final destination of the items. We cannot accept this order or future orders."[/SIZE]

Since I can't order from McMaster-Carr, does anyone else sell the struts with threaded ends? All the other suppliers only seem to have the type with the plastic ball socket ends. I want the threaded ends and this style of fitting:
img_151420_0_728cb39a2c73b0ca115b783bc1459712.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

These are the McMaster-Carr part numbers I am after:
9416K23 Gas Spring, 33.94" Extended LG. , 75 lbs. Force x2
9416K88 End Fitting for Gas Spring, Eyelet, M8 Thread Size, 0.32" ID x4

I remember Overland Hadley had an issue with the force of the struts pushing the camper walls outward. Unfortunately, I can't remember how it was resolved- I think he removed the struts once the top was up. Something to check out further. His build thread is still up on Expedition Portal.

I have found a local company "Gemini Gas Springs Inc" who will build custom gas struts to suit for $28 Cdn each. Looks promising, I will report back when I know more.

OK so last night I read this thread all the way through yet again. I take it the consensus is that an Eagle needs to have the struts mounted on the side due to lack of room? Has anyone done a mount on the ends of an Eagle.

I currently have the factory mounted Interior struts. They are 60 lb. They worked great until I added roof racks and solar. Now it's a real strain to lift this thing. That's without adding a canoe or my roof shower(50 lbs). I've thought about upgrading them to 80 lb but really don't think that is the answer I want. I like the idea of the gas struts helping the end panels when the camper is open. The interior struts really are in the way when using the bed if they are not removed.

FWIW, the great guys at American RV Tigard replaced the stock 30# exterior struts with 40# units. Much easier for an old guy to lift, especially with 1/2" of ice on the roof tonight. Closing the door & using the roof fan to pressurize the interior when lifting also makes a difference.

Scott

Please allow me to pose a question-

Since this thread stated in 2010, please post your impression on how your exterior gas shocks are holding up. Lets address longevity.

I don't use the shocks but my Speaker stand setup is still going strong after almost 5 years

I have had my lifters since the Saints started the thread. I installed them on the 25th of March 2010.
They have been a great improvement and when we were carrying
the canoe were a great help in raising the top.
Now that I am 7 years older they have kept it easy to lift the top.

A few years ago I started to notice some rust pits on the main tubes.
I cleaned them up and sprayed some rust primer over the pits,which were very small.
I also covered the tubes with "black" electrical tape to shield them from the salt air here on the coast.
7 years and working great.
Frank

grete said:
Casa Escarlata Robles Too
where exactly did you purchase your struts from? I am looking for exterior ones on amazon, and can only find a pair with the right dimensions for like $50.
I purchased mind directly from the Suspa company.

Strut # C16-15952 40# $30

Bracket # P67-00203 $3 each

I just looked at the McMaster site and didn't fine with a quick search the ones like are used on our campers.

just go to suspa.com.
Frank

alijabosdotcom said:
Anyone have a link to SUSPA 40" 40lb struts? Can't find any in canada. Help? :)
I bought mine directly from Suspa and had them shipped to Calgary. Shipping was $45 CDN. Customs/Duty was extra $$$

C16-15952 40 lbs

C16-22241 30 lbs

I also bought these SS brackets from West Marine

Taylor Made SS 1891

Shipping was $35.

Back
Top Bottom